Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Baldy Conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
 

Postby DaveGill » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:25 pm

On Saturday the 14th you could still ski from the summit. But it's definitely thinning out quickly now. Hope that helps.
User Avatar
DaveGill

 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:59 pm
Location: Brea, California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby seanfromcarson » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:47 pm

Well, I was planning on climbing Baldy tomorrow, but I just called the Angeles National Forest number and they say it's under an avalanche warning and closed.

Bummer.
User Avatar
seanfromcarson

 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:56 pm
Location: Carson City, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby Luciano136 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:16 pm

seanfromcarson wrote:Well, I was planning on climbing Baldy tomorrow, but I just called the Angeles National Forest number and they say it's under an avalanche warning and closed.

Bummer.


Huh?!? Why on earth would there be an avalanche warning? It hasn't snowed significantly in weeks! The snowpack should be very well consolidated and thin, right?
User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3734
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 9 times in 8 posts

Postby alleyehave » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:41 pm

I called Mt. Baldy visitor center and they said it's not closed, they posted a warning about a week ago and haven't yet pulled it. Whether or not their is current danger or not is up to you. I dont see why there would be any danger though.

Anyone been up there recently? I too was planning on going tomorrow.
User Avatar
alleyehave

 
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:11 am
Location: San Diego, California, United States
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts

Postby RickF » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:06 am

I can't go tomorrow but I'm planning to go on Sunday. The forecast includes possible showers and windy conditions Saturday night into Sunday morning. I'll be carrying skis up the Ski Hut Trail, hoping for a little bit of skiable snow in the bowl.
User Avatar
RickF

 
Posts: 533
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:45 pm
Location: Temecula, California, United States
Thanked: 30 times in 25 posts

Postby ridgeline » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:39 am

Should get some snow down to 4k' by Sunday.
User Avatar
ridgeline

 
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:22 pm
Location: Granada Hills, California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby Captain Beefheart » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:56 am

I'm thinking of charging it on Sunday as well. If anyone goes up tomorrow please post snow conditions for the bowl... not sure whether to bring my beater or my brand new LibTech. I just popped her cherry this afternoon at Snow Valley. Snow was actually super good... not to wet. Only 54 degrees. Should of worn trunks. :lol:
User Avatar
Captain Beefheart

 
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:15 pm
Location: La Habra Heights, California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby EManBevHills » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:37 pm

I suggest the beaters. I heard the skiing was great Thursday but there's a lot of ski grabbing manzanita rearing its head. My bud skied from the summit to the hut but he needed lots of tight turns! You may also have to take the skis off for a short distance traversing from 3 pin.....It's been warm since then, too.

The crux tomorrow will probably be the road. Looks like I'm bailing on Baldy because of it.
Maybe the tram....
User Avatar
EManBevHills

 
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:55 pm
Location: West Hollywood, California, United States
Thanked: 2 times in 1 post

Postby alleyehave » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:00 am

Went today. Snow is thinning out and slush by 1pm. There's supposed to be a big storm coming through tonight/sunday morning, but who knows...
User Avatar
alleyehave

 
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:11 am
Location: San Diego, California, United States
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts

Postby GigaMike » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:31 am

Went up today also. Here are my pics of todays conditions:

http://www.digitalalpine.com/gallery/76 ... 0705_dAZAx
User Avatar
GigaMike

 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:50 pm
Location: California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby seanfromcarson » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:58 am

Did the Devil's Backbone route today, and despite the warnings of lifties trying to be helpful, no crampons or axe were needed. It was a little slick on the way up, but by the time I was coming down I was walking through more mud than snow.
User Avatar
seanfromcarson

 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:56 pm
Location: Carson City, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby seanfromcarson » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:08 pm

Just a few old avalanches. There was potential on some of the chutes, but no one seemed dumb enough to head up them.
User Avatar
seanfromcarson

 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:56 pm
Location: Carson City, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

PreviousNext

Return to California

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.