Beautiful SHASTA Current Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
tarushbali

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by tarushbali » Sun May 28, 2017 3:55 am

Came back from Shasta last weekend.

Went up Avalanche Gulch. Camped at Helen Lake. Definitely don't need snowshoes beyond Helen Lake. It's a personal choice for snowshoes below Helen Lake. We went through the trees as much as we could on the way up and didn't really posthole that much. On the way down after a day of sun, there was a lot of postholing (the glissading was all the more fun because of the soft snow). Route under the Thumb was covered with snow and most people were going up that way. There were small rocks that were falling going up from Helen Lake so a helmet would be advisable :)

mrchad9

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by mrchad9 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:35 pm

Yes it was a great Memorial Day weekend!

Untitled.jpg
In Shastina Crater
Untitled.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 6190 times

ScottHanson

Re: Beautiful SHASTA Current Conditions

by ScottHanson » Wed May 31, 2017 6:53 pm

Do you need a permit to climb standard route on Shasta? If yes can you sign permit at the trailhead or do you apply for permit in advance? Is there a daily quota of permits?

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:56 pm

ScottHanson wrote:Do you need a permit to climb standard route on Shasta? If yes can you sign permit at the trailhead or do you apply for permit in advance? Is there a daily quota of permits?

You need a summit pass to go above 10K. No quotas, passes can be obtained at the trailheads or Fifth Season.

clmbr

by clmbr » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:07 am

Mt Shasta over Memorial Day weekend - 28 of May, 2017

Helen Lake Base Camp

Red Banks & Misery Hill

The following user would like to thank clmbr for this post
mrchad9

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:09 pm

Oh my... looks a bit busier than our camp was...

IMG_3147.JPG
Shastina Camp
IMG_3147.JPG (2.88 MiB) Viewed 6067 times

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
clmbr

clmbr

by clmbr » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:10 am

And here is the video with "crazy"guys atop of Mt Shasta over Memorial Day weekend in 2017 :D
https://www.facebook.com/MountaineeringConnections/videos/1201817376612523/

astrobassman

by astrobassman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:59 am

Hi all, I am in Berkeley for work this week and was planning on climbing Shasta this Saturday 6/17. I am seeing two very different weather forecasts. National Weather Service is calling for gusts up to 90mph Friday night into Saturday, which if it stays that way I will not attempt. Mountain-forecast.com paints a much better forecast, showing very climbable conditions on Saturday. Does anyone have any experience with these forecasts being wrong for Shasta area, and/or any good Shasta weather advice in general? Thanks in advance.

NWS: http://shastaavalanche.org/weather/fore ... mitplateau
MF: https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks ... casts/4317

thegib

by thegib » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:39 am

I went up to Helen lake one April when the coming forecast was gnarly. I hadn't been out in 6 months so I was a little pent up. And curious, cus sometimes forecasts are wrong. I was the only one at Helen lake. That was nice. Then the weather hit. Wow. One cool thing about being at Helen is even in 90mph wind whiteout you can just turn and walk downhill. I lost some gear but had a very memorable time.

clmbr

by clmbr » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:07 pm

astrobassman wrote:Hi all, I am in Berkeley for work this week and was planning on climbing Shasta this Saturday 6/17. I am seeing two very different weather forecasts. National Weather Service is calling for gusts up to 90mph Friday night into Saturday, which if it stays that way I will not attempt. Mountain-forecast.com paints a much better forecast, showing very climbable conditions on Saturday. Does anyone have any experience with these forecasts being wrong for Shasta area, and/or any good Shasta weather advice in general? Thanks in advance.

I only go with National Weather Service. Notice, they show only up to Elev. 12369 ft. Here is forecast at Elev. 7644 ft. In the mountains you should always expect the worse option, not the one you like better.

Weather forecast is just one factor in the decision making process. If you want to count on just a lucky and simple summit attempt, I would definitively stay home or do Mt Diablo instead.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:10 pm

I would go for it... I am this weekend. The wind could be strong but just as often it is wrong... I have had several windless afternoons on the summit when the forecast called for 70 mph. Plus it should be dying down Saturday afternoon. If you are overnighting and planning to summit Sunday then this forecast is perfect for you.

Plus... as I see it the current NWS forecast says winds of only 32 mph and gusts to 46 mph by 11:00 AM Saturday. And it is warm... 38 degrees. This is not that bad.

clmbr

by clmbr » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:30 am

mrchad9 wrote:I would go for it... I am this weekend. The wind could be strong but just as often it is wrong... I have had several windless afternoons on the summit when the forecast called for 70 mph. Plus it should be dying down Saturday afternoon. If you are overnighting and planning to summit Sunday then this forecast is perfect for you.

Plus... as I see it the current NWS forecast says winds of only 32 mph and gusts to 46 mph by 11:00 AM Saturday. And it is warm... 38 degrees. This is not that bad.
He may be right. He has climbed Mt Shasta at least 35 times. :o

mrchad9 wrote:... I am this weekend...
Which route are you planning? Is Ian coming too? Perhaps we can meet again on Misery Hill? :)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:24 pm

clmbr wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:... I am this weekend...
Which route are you planning? Is Ian coming too? Perhaps we can meet again on Misery Hill? :)

Was already driving up as you posted this... did an awesome route traversing to Whitney Glacier from North Gate, then up the north side of Shastina, then the Cascade Gulch route to the summit of Shasta skirting around the right side of the glacier, and down Hotlum-Bolam ridge. Quite a haul carrying a pack all that way but a much nicer trip than what Ian and I slogged through.

He didn't come though... I couldn't convince him to return to Shastina so quickly after the last outing lol

It did turn out to be windy Saturday though... forecast got worse and Saturday afternoon on the summit plateau I was on knees and elbows trying to keep from being blown down the east side of the mountain. Was not even possible to stand in place!

no avatar
powderjunkie

by powderjunkie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:42 pm

trees block road less than .75 miles from the clear creek TH. Continuous snow from TH, but not for much longer.

Saturday was windy once you got above 11K. Sunday was calm with lots of people summiting.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:02 pm

powderjunkie wrote:trees block road less than .75 miles from the clear creek TH. Continuous snow from TH, but not for much longer.

Saturday was windy once you got above 11K. Sunday was calm with lots of people summiting.

Yes it got a little crowded...
IMG_4014.JPG
IMG_4014.JPG (3.34 MiB) Viewed 5709 times

IMG_4030.JPG
IMG_4030.JPG (3.36 MiB) Viewed 5709 times

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
clmbr

PreviousNext

Return to California