Beginner's proper path to mountaineering?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
jerome5thousand

Beginner's proper path to mountaineering?

by jerome5thousand » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:56 pm

Hello everyone!

Im seeking advice for the proper way to get into your sport.

About me: Im 32 years old, and currently live in Hawaii. Next May I am moving to Ansbach, Germany. I lived in Western Germany from 2007-2010 and did a lot of trekking through the Schwardwald and some very tame day hikes in switzerland and Austria. I have been camping and backpacking most of my life, just not the last few years here in Hawaii. When I get back to Germany I want to take up mountaineering as a hobby. My physical fitness is very good. I have been to a few indoor climbing gyms throught my life and taken the quickstart type courses that are cumpulsory each time. But, I will be first to admit I know nothing of rock climbing beyond passing familiarity.

So what is the best way to get into the sport?

My plan was to take this course: http://www.alpin-ism.com/courses/summer ... ls4000.cfm
to get a sort of base of knowledge to work from.

Whats next after that? How feasible is it to take a course such as that and then start planning your own trips of slightly increasing difficulty each time?

Is there a better way to go about it, keeping safety in mind? These may seem like dumb questions but I would rather get yelled at over the internet than die on a mountain side.

As far as goals.... I will be in Europe at least for the next 4 years and want to climb something noteable by the end of my time (not rushing into it)

Anybody know of a mountaineering groups/clubs that may exist in the Ansbach/Nuremberg area?

Thanks for any help.

lcarreau

Re: Beginner's proper path to mountaineering?

by lcarreau » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:43 am

jerome5thousand wrote:"... These may seem like dumb questions but I would rather get yelled at over the internet than die on a mountain side ..."

I've been a member for over five years, and I get "yelled at" more often than I can count. I've been called everything (in the book) except "LATE FOR DINNER."

Persistence counts --- no matter what sport you try.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

phydeux

Re: Beginner's proper path to mountaineering?

by phydeux » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:22 am

The ISM course description appears to be a good, basic intro course in alpine climbing. Suggestion: cross-post your request in the "Europe" forum and you'll probably get recommendations for other Europe-based professional courses, maybe even hook up with some of the SP folks in/around Germany.

And . . . keep in shape while you're in Hawaii.

Return to General