Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

best climbing town for me?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Postby peladoboton » Tue May 11, 2010 7:51 pm

Dow Williams wrote:
peladoboton wrote:i dont drink, but i have watched plenty of my mates get sloshed on patios in spots all over SLC..

For a mormon boy, you sure do get your Utah towns confused.

was actually using SLC as an example.... :wink:

are you evading the subtle # of wives inquiry, dow? :shock:
peladoboton

Postby Dow Williams » Tue May 11, 2010 8:12 pm

peladoboton wrote:
Dow Williams wrote:
peladoboton wrote:i dont drink, but i have watched plenty of my mates get sloshed on patios in spots all over SLC..

An emoticon wink? Moapa and I were talking about St. George, why use SLC as an example? Two different towns, two different liquor ordinances. I was not avoiding the wives thing, just thought the immature stereotyping was sort of pissing on your religion of choice bro. Whatever issue Mormons have with each others religious practice, I would rather avoid.
Dow Williams

Postby peladoboton » Tue May 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Dow Williams wrote:
peladoboton wrote:
Dow Williams wrote:

An emoticon wink? Moapa and I were talking about St. George, why use SLC as an example? Two different towns, two different liquor ordinances. I was not avoiding the wives thing, just thought the immature stereotyping was sort of pissing on your religion of choice bro. Whatever issue Mormons have with each others religious practice, I would rather avoid.

Dow, honestly, if you got anything out of my posts than a harmless attempt at some humor, you are taking this WAY too seriously.
peladoboton

Postby MoapaPk » Tue May 11, 2010 11:08 pm

MoapaPk

Postby fossana » Wed May 12, 2010 2:05 am

This entertaining article on Boulder came out while I was living there.
fossana

Postby Dow Williams » Wed May 12, 2010 2:31 am

fossana wrote:This entertaining article on Boulder came out while I was living there.

"If Reinhold Messner himself walked into south Boulder's mountaineering shop to buy a carabiner, the sales staff would give him attitude. It's enough to make you revolt against the blue sky (300 sunny days a year), pull down the blinds, and watch NASCAR."

"The sun is shining. The prairie dogs in the infield are chirping. One more round of whitening strips and my choppers will be gleaming. Everything's, like, most excelente."

Most entertaining, thanks for the read Michelle.
Dow Williams

Postby tigerlilly » Wed May 12, 2010 11:24 am

Are we pretty much writing off the East Coast? :shock:
tigerlilly

Postby fossana » Wed May 12, 2010 3:25 pm

tigerlilly wrote:Are we pretty much writing off the East Coast? :shock:

That's fine by me.
fossana

Postby Hotoven » Wed May 12, 2010 4:15 pm

fossana wrote:
tigerlilly wrote:Are we pretty much writing off the East Coast? :shock:

That's fine by me.

+1 :D (I got to get out!)

Your not on a real mountain until you can feel the altitude! :D
Hotoven

Postby Clark_Griswold » Wed May 12, 2010 6:17 pm

fossana wrote:This entertaining article on Boulder came out while I was living there.
That article doesn't paint a picture of a town normal people would want to live in. It actually gives credence to some of the things certain ex-members or low posting con members have posted.
Clark_Griswold

Postby MoapaPk » Wed May 12, 2010 6:49 pm

studmuffin451 wrote:
That article doesn't paint a picture of a town normal people would want to live in. It actually gives credence to some of the things certain ex-members or low posting con members have posted.

It is enlightening to scan this (previously-cited) article, clicking on "religion" for example:
http://www.bestplaces.net/city/Boulder-Colorado.aspx#

Averaged over all people in the town, Boulder doesn't look that much different from the rest of the affluent USA -- or course, "non-residents" (college students?) may not be included. Education, voting, and cost-of-living are different, but not surprising for a college town. If you judged Clinton, NY on the folks at Hamilton and Kirkland Colleges, you might have a picture very different from reality.
MoapaPk

Postby fossana » Wed May 12, 2010 7:49 pm

studmuffin451 wrote:

Firstly, I wouldn't exactly classify myself as 'normal'. Having a white picket fence and a houseful of kids is my nightmare. I'd be the first to admit that if you're bothered by the fact you're not the top [insert athletic label here] in town you'd best not move to Boulder. When I lived there previously my PT had won the LA marathon and my chiropractor was a sponsored adventure racer. That being said I found most of the elite athletes I met to be very supportive of those of us with lesser abilities.
fossana

Postby Clark_Griswold » Wed May 12, 2010 8:22 pm

fossana wrote:
studmuffin451 wrote:

Firstly, I wouldn't exactly classify myself as 'normal'. Having a white picket fence and a houseful of kids is my nightmare. I'd be the first to admit that if you're bothered by the fact you're not the top [insert athletic label here] in town you'd best not move to Boulder. When I lived there previously my PT had won the LA marathon and my chiropractor was a sponsored adventure racer. That being said I found most of the elite athletes I met to be very supportive of those of us with lesser abilities.

I think it's interesting you inferred my statement to be directed at athletic prowess amongst Boulder residents, or that when I wrote "normal" I must have meant suburban living as idealized in 1955 with a litter of children everywhere around you. True, most Americans aren't athletes, or even remotely athletic, but that was not what I was referring to. I guess I could have been long winded and written out what I meant, but I thought it too unimportant and boring to others. Now, to clarify and not seem like I must think of myself as an out of shape pussy who can't stand to be around anyone not obese and sloth like, I will write out what I meant.

That article paints Boulder as a town of elitist assholes who are egotistical liberal hipster douche bags. The doughnut shop fails, but the gay book store and oxygen bar thrive. Everyone is competing with one another because they are incredibly insecure, so everyone gives everyone else serious attitude and is condescending because they doubt themselves on all levels despite being better than other people when they therefore should recognize that fact and be polite and kind to other people who are not at their level. According to the article's author, this is true of everyone from the trail runner to the clerks at stores selling gear to who knows what level of sport participant. The idiot coffee shop employee sees Cuba as a communist paradise because its frozen in time, and believes its residents to be happy as a result, never mind that the government controls the press, etc, etc.
you'll matriculate quicker if you come with some attitude.

I know you can't always tell what an authors intent was in a writing, but I did write, "that article", not, "that town is very clearly". I passed through boulder in 2008. It didn't seem that great, or that bad. It reminded me of where I came from in NJ, except with granite mountains in view to the west. It was really just a lot of sprawl. I'm 100% sure towns like LA have their share of posers, just as I wrote earlier in this thread that where I currently live, Flagstaff, has it's share. Other than being another overpriced town, I'm sure Boulder is probably very much just another town that has it's pluses and minuses and is not too different from most towns in general unless you seek out the places that the insecure, egomaniacs go.

You posted the article and called it entertaining. I inferred you to be referring to the very things I noticed, not the collection of athletes, but the off the wall insecure ego maniacs. When I was referring to certain SP members and their conservative ideas, I was basing it on statements from the article such as this.

A Buddhist monk moved into our condo complex. Shaved head, full regalia, real deal. He drives a 30-cylinder pickup truck named after a subarctic ecosystem where trees don't grow and frost lingers.

There seems to be something wrong with posing in one way and doing something completely different. I know basically nothing about Buddhism and most religions in general, but I see a problem with being a monk that drives a gas guzzler that can have a negative affect on peace and harmony in the world.
Clark_Griswold

Postby MoapaPk » Wed May 12, 2010 8:53 pm

studmuffin451 wrote:
A Buddhist monk moved into our condo complex. Shaved head, full regalia, real deal. He drives a 30-cylinder pickup truck named after a subarctic ecosystem where trees don't grow and frost lingers.

I'm sure the article was tongue-in-cheek. The statistics show that Boulder actually has a lower participation in eastern religions and Islam than the average US community, at least among legal residents. Though with perhaps 16 eastern religious (?) people in the town, the sampling statistics are not that good.

Your PT or Orthopedist in Las Vegas may not have run a marathon, but s/he may have treated Andre Agassi or Tiger Woods. My PTs have been treating the athletes from Cirque du Soleil in the same rotation. Not that this would be a good reason for choosing Vegas -- too many other yucky things.

(It's hard to put "Tiger Woods" and "Las Vegas" in the same paragraph without a few chuckles...)
MoapaPk

Postby fossana » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:55 am

Thought I'd provide an update after all of the great suggestions. After paying a 5 day visit to Boulder, I decided to move to Bishop until I decide I can no longer hack small town living or my remote working arrangement gets nixed. The gravitational pull from my great group of E Side friends and the High Sierra sealed the deal.
fossana

PreviousNext

Return to General