best climbing town for me?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
fossana

by fossana » Tue May 11, 2010 4:05 pm

SpiderSavage wrote:If it's the food you want, You're stuck with LA. It's the whole world of food here.

Sounds like you've tried everywhere.

I'd like to suggest Merano, Italy. Works for Reinhold. Lovely place.

Agree about the food scene in LA, but I don't need the restaurants if I can get the ingredients. Plus I will be back in LA once a month as part of the work agreement.

Hmm, Merano...maybe there's another run-down castle I can purchase. ;)

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Tue May 11, 2010 4:31 pm

fossana wrote:Hmm, Merano...maybe there's another run-down castle I can purchase. ;)

Check with Nicolas Cage's lenders Michelle!

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Tue May 11, 2010 4:44 pm

peladoboton wrote:i dont drink, but i have watched plenty of my mates get sloshed on patios in spots all over SLC..

For a mormon boy, you sure do get your Utah towns confused.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Tue May 11, 2010 8:12 pm

peladoboton wrote:
Dow Williams wrote:
peladoboton wrote:i dont drink, but i have watched plenty of my mates get sloshed on patios in spots all over SLC..

For a mormon boy, you sure do get your Utah towns confused.

was actually using SLC as an example.... :wink:

are you evading the subtle # of wives inquiry, dow? :shock:

An emoticon wink? Moapa and I were talking about St. George, why use SLC as an example? Two different towns, two different liquor ordinances. I was not avoiding the wives thing, just thought the immature stereotyping was sort of pissing on your religion of choice bro. Whatever issue Mormons have with each others religious practice, I would rather avoid.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue May 11, 2010 11:08 pm

fossana

by fossana » Wed May 12, 2010 2:05 am

This entertaining article on Boulder came out while I was living there.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Wed May 12, 2010 2:31 am

fossana wrote:This entertaining article on Boulder came out while I was living there.

"If Reinhold Messner himself walked into south Boulder's mountaineering shop to buy a carabiner, the sales staff would give him attitude. It's enough to make you revolt against the blue sky (300 sunny days a year), pull down the blinds, and watch NASCAR."

"The sun is shining. The prairie dogs in the infield are chirping. One more round of whitening strips and my choppers will be gleaming. Everything's, like, most excelente."

Most entertaining, thanks for the read Michelle.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Wed May 12, 2010 11:24 am

Are we pretty much writing off the East Coast? :shock:

fossana

by fossana » Wed May 12, 2010 3:25 pm

tigerlilly wrote:Are we pretty much writing off the East Coast? :shock:

That's fine by me.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed May 12, 2010 4:15 pm

fossana wrote:
tigerlilly wrote:Are we pretty much writing off the East Coast? :shock:

That's fine by me.

+1 :D (I got to get out!)

Your not on a real mountain until you can feel the altitude! :D

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed May 12, 2010 6:49 pm

studmuffin451 wrote:
fossana wrote:This entertaining article on Boulder came out while I was living there.
That article doesn't paint a picture of a town normal people would want to live in. It actually gives credence to some of the things certain ex-members or low posting con members have posted.

It is enlightening to scan this (previously-cited) article, clicking on "religion" for example:
http://www.bestplaces.net/city/Boulder-Colorado.aspx#

Averaged over all people in the town, Boulder doesn't look that much different from the rest of the affluent USA -- or course, "non-residents" (college students?) may not be included. Education, voting, and cost-of-living are different, but not surprising for a college town. If you judged Clinton, NY on the folks at Hamilton and Kirkland Colleges, you might have a picture very different from reality.

fossana

by fossana » Wed May 12, 2010 7:49 pm

studmuffin451 wrote:
That article doesn't paint a picture of a town normal people would want to live in. It actually gives credence to some of the things certain ex-members or low posting con members have posted.

Firstly, I wouldn't exactly classify myself as 'normal'. Having a white picket fence and a houseful of kids is my nightmare. I'd be the first to admit that if you're bothered by the fact you're not the top [insert athletic label here] in town you'd best not move to Boulder. When I lived there previously my PT had won the LA marathon and my chiropractor was a sponsored adventure racer. That being said I found most of the elite athletes I met to be very supportive of those of us with lesser abilities.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed May 12, 2010 8:53 pm

studmuffin451 wrote:
A Buddhist monk moved into our condo complex. Shaved head, full regalia, real deal. He drives a 30-cylinder pickup truck named after a subarctic ecosystem where trees don't grow and frost lingers.

I'm sure the article was tongue-in-cheek. The statistics show that Boulder actually has a lower participation in eastern religions and Islam than the average US community, at least among legal residents. Though with perhaps 16 eastern religious (?) people in the town, the sampling statistics are not that good.

Your PT or Orthopedist in Las Vegas may not have run a marathon, but s/he may have treated Andre Agassi or Tiger Woods. My PTs have been treating the athletes from Cirque du Soleil in the same rotation. Not that this would be a good reason for choosing Vegas -- too many other yucky things.

(It's hard to put "Tiger Woods" and "Las Vegas" in the same paragraph without a few chuckles...)

PreviousNext

Return to General