Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

BEST nutritional and energy drink?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

BEST nutritional and energy drink?

Postby Marmaduke » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:15 am

I've searched and have seen so many different products without seeing anything definitive. What are you using?
Marmaduke

Re: BEST nutritional and energy drink?

Postby The Chief » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:23 am

The Chief

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
Marmaduke

Postby phydeux » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:33 am

Water. Its all ya really need to keep hydrated.

Calories and other nutrients come from foods I eat. Try to keep a balanced diet, keep the junk food to a minimum, and I seem to do all right. I'm really leery of all that nutritional pseudo-sceince and 'expert' testimony that presented in the media. Sure, Lance Armstrong my be a pro athelte at the top of his sport, but would it really make that much difference in his level of fitness (aerobic level, ability to sustain a high level ofoutput) if he didn't use and supplements (if he does use the ones he's a spokesman for?)?
phydeux

Postby Marmaduke » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:40 am

phydeux wrote:Water. Its all ya really need to keep hydrated.

Calories and other nutrients come from foods I eat. Try to keep a balanced diet, keep the junk food to a minimum, and I seem to do all right. I'm really leery of all that nutritional pseudo-sceince and 'expert' testimony that presented in the media. Sure, Lance Armstrong my be a pro athelte at the top of his sport, but would it really make that much difference in his level of fitness (aerobic level, ability to sustain a high level ofoutput) if he didn't use and supplements (if he does use the ones he's a spokesman for?)?

I looked at FRS but I'm not sold. As far as hydration goes, yes water. But I'm not a big food guy, until dinner. I want something that has that nourishment and energy while on the trail.

Thanks Chief!
Marmaduke

Postby MontuckyLucky » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:00 am

I always take a Naked protein shake, they taste good, pretty small, filling, lots of protein and carbs.
MontuckyLucky

Postby NW » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:48 pm

You could try making some of your own concoction. Then you could put as much of whatever flavor or nutrient you thought you needed most. Kind of like a smoothie but take away the milk and use orange juice or carrot juice or something. It wouldn't keep as long as prepackaged stuff though. I've never done it for a trail but you can make some pretty good things with a blender.
NW

The following user would like to thank NW for this post
Marmaduke

Postby Clark_Griswold » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:03 pm

I would say the most extreme conditions which require nutritional supplementation in a drink are those found when it is very hot and dry, as is found in locations like Death Valley in August or the Grand Canyon in early July. Other cooler times probably don't need special supplementation for hydration, or in a drink form, and then you can just use a caffeine treat or candy for dietary energy. I agree that most of what we need can be found in our food. Man evolved to get his nutritional requirements from his food, but in extremes where we insist on "mad doggedly" going when our bodies should be at rest, some supplementation is in order. Given that, I find that simple electrolyte replacement drinks like Power Aid and salty, sugary snacks, combined with large amounts of water keep me going. I like to use the electrolyte drinks that have the less commonly thought of cat-ions like calcium and magnesium, since if things are tough enough to need a drink I might want to help support my muscles with those two nutrients. In the Grand Canyon in September I did a 20 mile loop to Phantom and back. I had no problems and came out feeling pretty good. Granted, I took a soak in Bright Angel Creek, but I still hiked out in 105 temps. I knew it was hot for a cool town dweller because I live in Flagstaff and anything over 80 is considered hot by the local town folk. Plus, when I was in the creek I was shivering, but 5 minutes later after getting out of the water my temples were pounding from the heat.
Clark_Griswold

Postby John Duffield » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:30 pm

I found this helpful for my running. I often have a shortened recovery time between runs. Using the three I use has been a game changer for me.

Though I use them now for everything.

I use the Cytomax before a run as well as Gatorade. The Gatorade tastes better.

But after a long run, there's nothing like EnduroxR4, and one look at the Ingredient list will tell you why.

Still, you should play with them and find out which one has you feeling better nearly instantly. Your body depletes certain minerals and it takes a while to replentish from ordinary food.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6677&PageNum=3
John Duffield

Postby BigFDeal » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:23 am

There is only one real energy drink. POWERTHIRST. It makes me good at sports!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs

AHHHHHHHHH!
BigFDeal

The following user would like to thank BigFDeal for this post
seano

Postby dadndave » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:51 am

"Best" depends on what you're doing I suppose. The only time I use any kind of "supplement" is when I take powdered Gatorade or Poweraid or whatever into the hills. A bit of a sugar hit and an electrolyte boost without having to carry weight is what I like. On easy walk-ins a nice sweet cuppa tea is enough.
What is this "scientific method" you speak of?
dadndave
Forum Moderator

Postby DukeJH » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:42 pm

I use water and either Gu or Clif Bars during my long runs. For recovery I use Gatorade mixed at 50% of the recommended dose plus a scoop of protein supplement. Otherwise, I get it in what i eat.
DukeJH

Postby jibmaster » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:23 pm

I drink mate/green hot tea blend in the morning and carry one bottle of water with H20 and the other filled with this
http://www.sportea.com/sportea_key_ingredients.htm
jibmaster

Postby Marmaduke » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks!!
Marmaduke

Postby Ze » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:21 pm

phydeux wrote:Water. Its all ya really need to keep hydrated.

Well, no. You would need electrolytes too.
Ze

Postby seano » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:52 pm

I recommend doing some experiments: Go out with water but no food, and see how long it takes you to bonk and how it feels. Then go out with water and 250-300 cal/hr of sweet food (e.g. fig newtons or pop tarts), and see how an electrolyte crash feels. Once you can identify these, figure out a mixture of carbs and electrolytes that you can digest in sufficient quantities at your target intensity. This may include energy drinks, gels, salt pills, bars, or more normal food.

In my experience, I can handle gels even at high intensity, so energy drinks aren't necessary. Heed is cool because, relying on complex carbs (maltodextrin IIRC), it doesn't taste sickly sweet. On the other hand, Gatorade powder and fig bars are cheap, and will probably work just fine.
seano

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
Ze

Next

Return to General