best range/mountain for september ???

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
lelf

best range/mountain for september ???

by lelf » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:03 am

Hey !

I'll be in washington state next summer for 2 classes with AAI, and after that i want to stay a bit in the mountains...any idea what is usualy in good shape at this time of year ? I want to do alpine stuff(glacier, ridge, northfaces), but if there is nothing at this time of year i'll just head to yosemite...any advice ???

EastKing

by EastKing » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:37 am

Sahale thought the road is washed out at present, Stuart, Maude, Fernow and Seven Fingered Jack, Three Fingers, Mount Daniel, Mount Adams (though no glissade). All except Adams (I have already done it) are on my wish list for next September.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:54 pm

September is a good month for alpine rock like the Enchantments.

no avatar
Wastral

by Wastral » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

September is practice for ice climbing on Baker/Shucksan. September you can do anything in WA. Ranier probably not, though it has been done. The reason being that the main bergshrund is gigantic and completely open at that time of year. Anyone know if you can walk all the way around to Liberty cap side to avoid said bergshrund to hit the "peak"?

September is great, Few to no bugs. Huge spiders, weather that is generally mild and stable. Fall colors starting in the huckleberries/ash in the alpine. One can do NE buttress of Goode if you want to hunt through all the crevasses and are VERY persistant, though maybe not...

Can still do the patarmigan traverse in September. Knock off Dome/Sinister/Old Guard/Formidible. Have extra time do Spire and Gunsight.

ExcitibleBoy wrote:September is a good month for alpine rock like the Enchantments.

Merlin736

Eastern front of the Olympics

by Merlin736 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:47 pm

The Eastern front of the Olympics has lots of good options in September - Mt. Constance, The Brothers, or Mt. Washington. Early Sept. is usually dry with blue skies and few bugs.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)