Best Sunblock/Sunscreen for Climbing?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
JHH60

Re: Best Sunblock/Sunscreen for Climbing?

by JHH60 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:03 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:I have very sensitive skin and found that Aloe Gator GEL SPF 40 to be the best sunscreen in terms of protection and compatibiliy with my skin. The gel has a pleasant scent (reminds me of climbing in Alaska), feels good on the skin, and doesn't run into the eyes regardless of how hard I sweat. It comes is two sizes, a light and fast friendly small size and a expedition size. Both are available at REI: http://www.rei.com/product/407201/aloe- ... 40-1-fl-oz

Maybe the batch I used was different, or maybe it's easier to squeeze the big tube, but I found this stuff gets really thick when it's cold, and I couldn't get it out of the small tube in the morning when the temp was in the 20s. I was able to warm it up enough to get some on, but I never had that problem with alcohol based gels.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:23 pm

JHH60 wrote:
ExcitableBoy wrote:I have very sensitive skin and found that Aloe Gator GEL SPF 40 to be the best sunscreen in terms of protection and compatibiliy with my skin. The gel has a pleasant scent (reminds me of climbing in Alaska), feels good on the skin, and doesn't run into the eyes regardless of how hard I sweat. It comes is two sizes, a light and fast friendly small size and a expedition size. Both are available at REI: http://www.rei.com/product/407201/aloe- ... 40-1-fl-oz

Maybe the batch I used was different, or maybe it's easier to squeeze the big tube, but I found this stuff gets really thick when it's cold, and I couldn't get it out of the small tube in the morning when the temp was in the 20s. I was able to warm it up enough to get some on, but I never had that problem with alcohol based gels.

That is an issue. I carry my tube in my chest pocket of my windshirt so it will always be warm.

no avatar
snuffles8

by snuffles8 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:14 am

Aside from a great suggestion of wearing long sleeves and also a wide-brimmed hat for face protection, go with the TwinLuxe Anti-aging SPF Moisturizer. Its an all in one SPF 40, stem cell technology, and moisturizer.

http://www.twinluxe.com/shop/care/anti- ... /index.php

mtneering

by mtneering » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:38 pm

Best I've used in 19 years of mountaineering is Neutrogena Broad Spectrum SPF 60+ for sensitive skin!!!

Previous

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)