Beta needed please for The Flying W (Pikes)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
dien2liv

Beta needed please for The Flying W (Pikes)

by dien2liv » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:22 pm

Thinking about going up there tomorrow to check out the W (AKA the three pigs). anyone have a pics of the cruxes for the middle and far right fingers? not my first time on M3 terrain but trying to get a feel for what I want to bring. hoping to climb two of them tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.

no avatar
mconnell

Re: Beta needed please for The Flying W (Pikes)

by mconnell » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:29 pm

IIRC, there is a trip report on 14ers.com, so check there. Might still be a lot of loose snow up there tomorrow. Last night, there was a lot blowing over from the west side.

Edit: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=11723

dien2liv

by dien2liv » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:25 am

Well went up and attempted the route. Postholing the whole way up to the base of the W. Took the far right finger. great day as far as the weather goes. Snow was "mashed potato" but tolerable. As is well known about climbing here is that the crux is dealing with the "road situation" of starting late and having to be down by 4pm. Had to turn around at the 2nd crux Top Gear also happened to be up there filming so there was a juiced up Honda Odessey mini van running up and down the road being filmed by a helicopter. Wouldn't be surprised if we are in Top Gear. All in all a good day out.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:14 am

Thanks for sharing the update. I usually avoid the road issue by going up from the crags. Makes for a long approach but I avoid paying for the road and dealing with their hours. Last time I went up the road to climb the Y, the road was closed at Glen Cove due to "high wind". We climbed up from there and there was no wind at all. I will stick with climbing from the crags, downclimbing to the climb I went, and then went up.

Return to Colorado