Bill would rename Yosemite's Mammoth Peak

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: Bill would rename Yosemite's Mammoth Peak

by Bob Burd » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:34 am

It seems strange that folks would rather rename a peak rather than find a new one to honor someone. I recently ran across one in the Southern Sierra that Jenkins said has been known locally as Harley Mountain. 100 years ago this guy named Harley got in a bar fight in Kernville and fled to the mountains thinking he was in big trouble. He discovered gold atop the peak and spent years working his claim, hired the guy who designed SF's cable car system to build a tramway, and when the cable broke after a few years, killing a couple of workers, he relinquished his claim on the mountain. Colorful story. Then in 2011 after a local campaign, the BGN agrees to name the peak after Bob Powers, local cowboy, turned historian, 5th generation in Kernville. What local historian would think that's ok? I'm imagining him turning over in his grave...

The following user would like to thank Bob Burd for this post
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:48 am

boyblue wrote:there are so many other un-named peaks in that part of Yosemite that are surely 'name-worthy' (and she certainly deserves a peak if anyone does).

A very good point. The American West has more unnamed peaks than named ones, so why rename a peak unless there is a good reason to discredit the old name and a special connection between the peak and the new honoree at the same time?
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

sierraman

by sierraman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:00 am

There was a proposal not long ago to rename North Palisade for David Brower. With so many fine unnamed peaks around, why the need to change a peak with an established name?

fedak

by fedak » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:40 pm

Political fog enshrouds renaming of Yosemite peak
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/03/14/623763 ... aming.html
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:14 pm

Interesting tidbits from the article:

"In 2008, Democratic Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer of California introduced legislation to rename Yosemite’s 14,242-foot North Palisade Peak after the late environmentalist and mountaineer David Brower."

The park's SE boundary has apparently been expanded by more than 50 miles.

"Over National Park Service objections, a House panel on Thursday approved a bill to redesignate the current 12,117-foot Mammoth Peak as Mount Jessie Benton Fremont. The prominent peak, near Kuna Lake, is Yosemite’s sixth highest."

By at least one measure, it ranks #23, but by no measure can I imagine it as #6. Personally I hope the bill fails. I'm with the Park Service on this one.

fedak

by fedak » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:06 pm

Park officials oppose plan to rename Yosemite peak
http://www.mercurynews.com/california/c ... emite-peak
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

sierraman

by sierraman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:31 am

"Political fog" is an understatement. Curiously, none of these newspaper articles say anything specific about who picked out Mammoth Peak for renaming and why. I guess we can surmise the why, it's a prominent peak from the highway and not named after a person, who's family might object. Other peaks also fall into that category, however. Ironically, from my long mountaineering career, I have 10 pictures framed on the wall of my cabin in Tahoe, one of which is Mammoth Peak. I really don't want to have to change the nameplate.
It is an attractive mountain.

sierraman

by sierraman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:27 pm

This story turned up on the front page of my local newspaper, the Vacaville Reporter, this morning. Must be a slow news day.

Previous

Return to California