Boot Question

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
CanadianSteve

Boot Question

by CanadianSteve » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 am

A year or so ago I bought a pair of Scarpa Charmoz alpine boots. I took the time to fit them and make sure I had a comfortable size.

I wore them everyday for 5 days straight on a trip in the Canadian Rockies in summer 08. I had no big issues the entire trip (with the exception of fatigued feet, which I assumed was from long days).
Fast forward to Spring '09. I did a long alpine trip which required an approach of 6-10kms of a maintained hiking trail. Upon reaching the camp spot I noticed my ankle/heel/foot was sore, but assumed it was because my feet weren't used to a trip of this length.
The next day I was on my feet for 18 hrs and by the time we arrived back to the car my feet were killing me.

A few days after the trip I was wearing shoes and noticed my ankle/Achilles tendon was sore. I didn't think much of it, but it never went away. Long story short I got Achilles tendinitis and had to go to physio. I was not able to wear shoes of any kind (comfortably) for several weeks.

Fast forward to last week, I did a short day trip (8 hrs on my feet) and noticed the same pain/discomfort the next morning. I was wearing the same boots. I wasn't able to wear shoes for 3-4 days, and it is still uncomfortable wearing them.

It doesn't hurt unless there is pressure applied to the tendon, i.e. shoes while walking.

Does anyone know why this is constantly happening, and why it never happened when I first bought the boots? I really like the boots, but if this keeps happening, I will need to get rid of them...

The doctor and physiotherapist both mentioned it may be caused by the boots folding in and pressing in on my Achilles tendon every time I take a step. Though I looked at the boot and the back is fairly stiff...

Comments? Do I need new boots? What is wrong?

MScholes

by MScholes » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:26 am

Could it be there might be too much flex in the boot? I like my heavy duty hikers to be very rigged and have very little flex, I've always found it gives more support.

It's just a thought. If I spend too long in my running shoes on trails, my feet kill but in rigid soles, I can go for hours on end without feeling a thing. For me, the flex in the sole makes a huge difference.

no avatar
CanadianSteve

by CanadianSteve » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:03 pm

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... 0041M.html

those are the boots there; they have a 3/4 length shank and a rigid sole, so I don't think the rigidity is a problem?

imhuge

by imhuge » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:26 pm

It sounds like two things to me. First it seems like an overuse injury. You said you weren't used to a trip of that length and the next day you did another long trip. Hiking (especially up hills) is rough on the Achilles. Add that to a pair of boots that may have a minor fit issue and it put you over the edge. I had that too and it was the same thing...boots were not the best fit and overuse (I put on a pack that was too heavy and hiked way to far for my fitness level).

Tendons are tricky buggers. You can pump iron and hike like a maniac and get giant calves, quads and hams but the tendons take a lot longer to adapt - this was my issue. I didn't have as bad of a result as you. A few weeks of taking it easy and some stretching was all it took. I was still able to wear sneakers.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi, I wouldnt count out the Scarpas yet. Try an aftermarket insole that fits you well. It should make a huge difference.

My feet have somewhat normal to high arches and rarely do I find shoes that come with insoles that support my arch and offer adequate cushioning. Most come with fairly flat insoles and really weak arch support.

I checked out some insoles at a local store and chose the spenco polysorb total support insoles. The have firm support and cradle my feet well plus they are light and have nice cushioning.

no avatar
mtnview

by mtnview » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:05 am

The only thing I noticed with mine a couple of times was when I tied the tops too tight for going uphill. I would notice a pull or irritation to my achilles tendon but relacing them slighter looser at the top solved it.

If course I would relace and tighten them pretty good for the descent.

I've had my charmoz's 4 years so relatively trouble free for me.

Regards
Allan A
http://www.geocities.com/truedino

no avatar
CanadianSteve

by CanadianSteve » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:52 pm

mtnview wrote:The only thing I noticed with mine a couple of times was when I tied the tops too tight for going uphill. I would notice a pull or irritation to my achilles tendon but relacing them slighter looser at the top solved it.

If course I would relace and tighten them pretty good for the descent.

I've had my charmoz's 4 years so relatively trouble free for me.

Regards
Allan A
http://www.geocities.com/truedino

Although the trail was fairly level to the base, maybe it's possible I tied them too tight like this? But I never noticed a pull or irritation, it was more discomfort after the fact, and the next day.

I agree it is an overuse injury, as I had not done anything to that extent for several months prior. But when I first bought them, I only hiked for a mile or two to break them in, and then took them on the 5 day trip in the Rockies, and I didn't have any of the problems I have had now...
I don't know if it is a fit issue or not... again, the boots were fine when I first bought them.

I will look into insoles, as I need them for my Nepals...

no avatar
CanadianSteve

by CanadianSteve » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:00 am

achilles tendon still bothering me, will have to skip a trip I had planned this weekend...

Any other comments/suggestions why this is happening?

I put the boots on and examined where it might be causing the pressure; it doesn't appear like the boot folds into my ankle during walking. The pressure is felt when my heal begins to rise from the ground before my toes leave the ground/push off on each step.

Thoughts?

no avatar
spiritualspatula

by spiritualspatula » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:13 am

I assume you're not getting any heel lift or anything like that.
One thing that I've noticed with my Scarpa's is that the fit in the tendon area is vastly different. My mantas are way way way more open and luxurious (for lack of a better term) back there, and provide nice support but don't feel quite like a glove fit.
My mustangs (also scarpa) are totally different- they are right up on my tendon like a glove. Both boots fit well and I don't have pain in either, but I definitely noticed a slight increase in the "gloviness" as the mustangs were used more. Not to the point of damage like your case, but I could definitely feel them change in that manner. It was sorta weird.

no avatar
CanadianSteve

by CanadianSteve » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:41 am

I 100% agree; the scarpas seem to be quite tight in the tendon area. My nepals feel a lot more roomier.
No heel lift with the boots...
Could the narrow tendon area be the cause? Maybe it's too narrow for my foot ?

Return to Gear