Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

California is the Best.

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.

Postby Day Hiker » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:39 pm

Guyzo wrote:Ever been to Bolixi, Miss? Tyler, Texas? New Orleans, LA? Orlando, FL? Those places define "Hell-Hole" 8)

Atmittedly, there are too many to mention. But you forgot an obvious one!

They were all taken within a couple of hours of each other, all within the same city. If you give up trying to guess where this is, look at the area code in this one:

Day Hiker

Postby Luciano136 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:21 am

Yes sir, you are absolutely correct! Detroit is a rough city!! We got lost there once in the not so good neighborhood. A friend of mine thought it would be a good idea to go to McDonalds because she was oh so hungry. Bulletproof glass inside and being the only 3 white folks in the whole damn area, I'm glad we made it out alive. The restroom also had a nice "dropping" right on the seat; I aimed in the toilet from about 5 feet away. It was disgusting!!
Also got yelled at at the gas station for being a white guy in the wrong area...

Needless to say, it was an experience to remember!
Luciano136

Postby mconnell » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:42 pm

Luciano136 wrote:You forgot northern MN. I still get the chills thinking about it!

I personally really like northern MN. Not much in the way of climbing (although there is a bit of high bouldering over lakes that was fun during canoe trips. Really just an excuse to jump in a lake!)
mconnell

Postby Andinistaloco » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:25 pm

lcarreau wrote:If you want a RED piece of rock, you gotta try out Arizona!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Nothing to see here. Keep talking about how great CA is.
Andinistaloco

Location: Flagstaff, Arizona, The Great Southwest, United States

Postby brendon » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:05 am

Day Hiker wrote:
Guyzo wrote:Ever been to Bolixi, Miss? Tyler, Texas? New Orleans, LA? Orlando, FL? Those places define "Hell-Hole" 8)

Atmittedly, there are too many to mention. But you forgot an obvious one!

They were all taken within a couple of hours of each other, all within the same city.

Hey man, the Gulf Coast looks like that now, too! Less fire, more water/wind, though.
brendon

Postby Guyzo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:31 pm

DayHiker..... we never have vacant homes in California, like they do in other parts of the country.

It's always very strange to see them when I travel.

Out here those would be flipped or torn down and replaced.
Guyzo

Postby MoapaPk » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:04 pm

Scenic central Nevada (click for larger image):

In these old mining towns, people may build in the middle of older collapsed buildings, or on level-off tailings piles. Such homes made up the majority of habitations in these small towns, but are being replaced as people buy up the land and tear down the existing structures. Often there is an outhouse or storage shed directly in front of the door.
MoapaPk

Postby Guyzo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Guyzo wrote:DayHiker..... we never have vacant homes in California, like they do in other parts of the country.

Wait, I was wrong. We do have Trona, CA.

Lots of "home bargains" to be found there.
Guyzo

Postby Day Hiker » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Guyzo wrote:
Guyzo wrote:DayHiker..... we never have vacant homes in California, like they do in other parts of the country.

Ha, yes, Trona. My favorite part of the Vegas-to-Ridgecrest drive.

From what I understand, Detroit is notorious for having many burnt structures still standing, even more than other crappy eastern cities. The photos I posted were only a fraction of the dozens of photos I took in just a couple hours in just one section of Detroit. City blocks have empty lots where houses used to stand, and there are many burnt houses still standing.

I didn't have to look hard to find several dozen burnt houses for photos. There are blocks where half the houses are either torn down or burnt. :shock:

As you can see from the silver Cavalier in the first photo, there are people living next to that burnt house, next to the vacant yard. And, it's not obvious from the photo, but the house with the for-sale sign in the last photo is actually on the other side of that occupied house, so they are living in a house with burnt houses on both sides. Imagine them, trying to sell that house.
Day Hiker

Postby Guyzo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:46 pm

Day Hiker wrote:
Guyzo wrote:

Ha, yes, Trona. My favorite part of the Vegas-to-Ridgecrest drive.

From what I understand, Detroit is notorious for having many burnt structures still standing, even more than other crappy eastern cities. The photos I posted were only a fraction of the dozens of photos I took in just a couple hours in just one section of Detroit. City blocks have empty lots where houses used to stand, and there are many burnt houses still standing.

I didn't have to look hard to find several dozen burnt houses for photos. There are blocks where half the houses are either torn down or burnt. :shock:

As you can see from the silver Cavalier in the first photo, there are people living next to that burnt house, next to the vacant yard. And, it's not obvious from the photo, but the house with the for-sale sign in the last photo is actually on the other side of that occupied house, so they are living in a house with burnt houses on both sides. Imagine them, trying to sell that house.

SuperAgent needed.... :wink:
Guyzo

Postby MoapaPk » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:47 pm

I'd push the quiet neighbors, and warm community atmosphere.
MoapaPk

Postby Luciano136 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:00 pm

MikeTX wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:being the only 3 white folks in the whole damn area

i'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

Everything! Go to an all black area in Detroit as a white guy and you'll understand. Some people were cool but others yelled just because we were white.
Luciano136

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander