Cameras. . . Again.

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
reboyles

Re: Cameras. . . Again.

by reboyles » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:51 pm

I used to carry a conventional 35mm with a wide and tele lens and talk about a pain in the butt. The camera and lens must have weighed in over 6 lbs and took up a lot of space in my pack. Changing a lens on a climb was out of the question so I often had to choose which one to carry. If I wanted to carry it on my chest for access I had to use a shoulder strap and harness device to keep it from banging around. As a result, I missed a lot of shots simply because my camera was stuffed in my pack. From that experience I learned what I really wanted in an outdoor camera.

1. No lens changing (the lens had to cover a wide range)
2. No lens caps (the lens has to have a built-in cover, period)
3. It has to be small enough to operate with one hand
4. A viewfinder is nice but not a necessity
5. Shoot in RAW format
6. Good battery life
7. Low light capability
8. Good image quality

After a lot of research and reading I settled on a Canon G12 and I couldn't be happier. I know the G15 is out but the G12 can be had for a real discount now. The G15 doesn't have the flip-out LCD display like the G12 and I use mine all of the time. Perhaps the best feature is the digital level that lets me know when I'm tilting the camera from level. The real sales clincher came when I read a camera review in Rock & Ice and they recommended the G12 as an entry level pro camera that is capable of taking magazine quality pictures. Prior to that article I wasn't aware that Canon even made such a camera. I even use mine like a scanner when my image is too large for my flatbed scanner and the results are very good.

Bob

The following user would like to thank reboyles for this post
dskoon

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:20 pm

Bob, thanks for the recommendation of the G12. I've heard, and been reading about, both the 12 and the G15.
Not sure how much of a "discount" the G12 is at, as it seems almost pricier than the 15 on Amazon.
Both look like nice cameras though.
Still thinking about all this. .
Thanks again!

peninsula

by peninsula » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Point and shoot cameras do have their advantages, no question about it. I think it worthwhile to reiterate the disadvantages.

Quality: Due to the smaller size of the camera sensor, point and shoots are no match to DSLRs when it comes to image quality, even with more Megapixels. The differences may not be readily apparent on a computer monitor, but they are significant and most obvious when attempting to make high quality prints.

Limited to a large depth of field: While a point and shoot gets your entire scene nicely in focus, there is not much you can do to isolate your subject from the background and make it look soft and blurry. With DSLR cameras and special lenses, you can get a very shallow depth of field and completely isolate your foreground from the background.

Adaptability: Point and shoot cameras are not upgradable. You cannot change their lenses or mount external flashes (with the exception of some high-end models) and the number of external accessories is limited to the brand and make of the camera.

Most point and shoot cameras are limited in how fast they can capture an image. Point and shoots are not designed for sports and action photography.

Last but not least, dskoon's son has already stated he does not want a point and shoot camera. I think the biggest waste of money is buying something the young man has already made clear is not to his liking.

Best of luck!

reboyles

by reboyles » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:14 pm

I agree with what you say about DSLRs but the newest high end point-and-shoot cameras take a pretty darn good image, can be used in full manual mode (with limited F stop settings) and will take a flash attachment. They've also greatly improved the speed and can take up to 10 images per second in burst mode.

I also print a lot of my photos, some as large as 13 x 19 and the results are better that what I used to get from custom professional processing. I do have an advantage in printing in that I have a slew of color printers available from my former career in digital imaging and best of all, an endless supply of ink, toner and high quality photo paper. (No, I didn't work for Canon). :-)

I'm also surprised at how many people I know who have DSLRs but only use them in auto mode. Learning and understanding depth of field, F stops, focal length, etc. takes time that many people just aren't willing to devote these days. I also see that the DSLRs come with the same marketing strategy that was used with the 35mm cameras. Sell the base camera with a standard lens and then see how long it takes before the buyer discovers that they need another lens and then a bigger case.

I think it really comes down to what you intend to use the camera for. If it's professional quality photos then you need a professional level camera. If you want to learn photography then by all means jump right into a DSLR. However, in my case I want good shoots but in a small, light package that's easy to use and carry but in the end could get crunched, smashed or dropped. And first and foremost, if I'm on dicey ground, the camera always takes second place when it come to other priorities like team safety, speed, objective hazards or whatever.

bob

peninsula

by peninsula » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:44 pm

reboyles wrote:I agree with what you say about DSLRs but the newest high end point-and-shoot cameras take a pretty darn good image, can be used in full manual mode (with limited F stop settings) and will take a flash attachment. They've also greatly improved the speed and can take up to 10 images per second in burst mode.

I also print a lot of my photos, some as large as 13 x 19 and the results are better that what I used to get from custom professional processing. I do have an advantage in printing in that I have a slew of color printers available from my former career in digital imaging and best of all, an endless supply of ink, toner and high quality photo paper. (No, I didn't work for Canon). :-)

I'm also surprised at how many people I know who have DSLRs but only use them in auto mode. Learning and understanding depth of field, F stops, focal length, etc. takes time that many people just aren't willing to devote these days. I also see that the DSLRs come with the same marketing strategy that was used with the 35mm cameras. Sell the base camera with a standard lens and then see how long it takes before the buyer discovers that they need another lens and then a bigger case.

I think it really comes down to what you intend to use the camera for. If it's professional quality photos then you need a professional level camera. If you want to learn photography then by all means jump right into a DSLR. However, in my case I want good shoots but in a small, light package that's easy to use and carry but in the end could get crunched, smashed or dropped. And first and foremost, if I'm on dicey ground, the camera always takes second place when it come to other priorities like team safety, speed, objective hazards or whatever.

bob

I'm in complete agreement with you, Bob!

Cheers,

Greg

Previous

Return to Gear