camping close to north conway

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Castlereagh

Re: camping close to north conway

by Castlereagh » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:52 pm

i camped at Fiddlehead once, over the border near Fryeburg. it's on the Saco, so you could have a lot of kids partying, etc. that can be a good thing or a bad thing, I suppose. It's later now during the season, so you'll probably have less sacoer's

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Does the TH of the Airline trail work for you? Just across from the Dollar-a-day-parking, there's about 50 meters of trail then a powerline cut. Not bad. A little road noise but price is right. With the car parked at the gas station it's not advertising that you're there.

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:56 pm

John Duffield wrote:Does the TH of the Airline trail work for you? Just across from the Dollar-a-day-parking, there's about 50 meters of trail then a powerline cut. Not bad. A little road noise but price is right. With the car parked at the gas station it's not advertising that you're there.

If you're going to be that far the Moose Brook State Park campground is just a couple miles west of Gorham on Rt. 2 as well. I don't think they charge in the offseason; we've camped there for free in early early June before. Not sure if right now is offseason though.

Forest Service has campgrounds on Zealand Road down 302 as well...I'm sure there's places to camp near Crawford Notch too.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:39 pm

The Dolly Copp campground is pretty good. It is on Rt 16, as you head North it will be on your left, right past the Mt.Washington auto road.

nartreb

by nartreb » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:52 am

Covered Bridge or Blackberry, on the eastern end of the Kanc, are much closer (stay on West Side Rd, DON'T take rte 16 through Conway). They are first-come-first-served and practically guaranteed to have room this time of year (they stay open through October).

Numbers 8 and 4 on this map:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_m ... d_map.html

But you should be using the AMC hiking maps for this kind of planning (in the White Mountain Guide or sold separately - http://www.amazon.com/AMC-White-Mountai ... 1934028045

Not detailed enough for off-trail navigation, but great if you're wondering where trailheads and campsites can be found, or whether you can use Dugway Rd as a shortcut from Covered Bridge campground to West Side Rd (you can, but it's usually not worth it).)

PS Make sure you give Whitehorse a full day to dry off after a rain, or stick to a route that you can see all of from below.

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
John Duffield

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:17 pm

I kind of like the huts. Randolf has them also.
The Pros are, you're closer to the action. With a bunch of like minded people. Don't have to carry a tent and many times, not even a pad. On a bad weather weekend, you can play cards or something instead of bailing. Built in buds if you're ever hiking alone. Have to reserve in advance on big weekends like this 3 day (in both your country and mine) upcoming.
The Cons are, you'll need earplugs and perhaps an eyeshade.

http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/aboutourshelters.html

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/availability/index.cfm/fuseaction/availability.main?utm_source=oc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=oct5oc

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)