Can you hike up Zugspitze ?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Knight987

Can you hike up Zugspitze ?

by Knight987 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Looking to go to Bavaria next year for hols and wondering if Zugspitze summit is easily acheived walking for a couple of fit hikers ? :?:

mstender

Re: Can you hike up Zugspitze ?

by mstender » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:15 pm

Knight987 wrote:Looking to go to Bavaria next year for hols and wondering if Zugspitze summit is easily acheived walking for a couple of fit hikers ? :?:

http://www.summitpost.org/route/156090/normal-route-reintal-.html

cb294

Re: Can you hike up Zugspitze ?

by cb294 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:34 pm

Knight987 wrote:Looking to go to Bavaria next year for hols and wondering if Zugspitze summit is easily acheived walking for a couple of fit hikers ? :?:

In principle yes,

but take care with the weather. There seems to be quite a lot of snow from 2500m upwards, don´t know whether you can still just walk up or if it will be a more serious climb.

There are two hiking routes from Ehrwald, one via the so called Stopselziehersteig from the Wiener-Neustädter Huette (which involves some easy via ferrata sections, probably too late in the year for that one), and another one crossing onto the Platt from the south, joining the route coming up the Reintal from Garmisch.

Christian

Sorry, just saw you were asking about next year not next week, better read before replying.....

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:38 pm

I don't know what your experience is, but in my eyes the most beautiful hike (except climbing routes) is via Hoellental. Gorgeous, narrow canyon, scrambling, small glacier (if there is still something left of it), and a ferrata. That all makes even the cluttered summit forgettable. You can sleep in the hut to make it a 2-day outing. But it's definitely more than a "just a hike".

pingzingr

by pingzingr » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:42 pm

I am with SoCal. I first did the Hollental route when I was seven years old and did it twice in my early twenties when I lived in Germany. Absolutely love that route. I would also say the route depends on how comfortable you are on via ferrata routes. There is no need to have "climbing" experience but it definitely involves scrambling and some comfort level around exposed rock. The glacier ice does get exposed too so need to ensure before you go up that steig eisen (sp?)(crampons) are not being required.

Return to Europe