Cardio after prolonged inactivity..

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
fatdad

by fatdad » Wed May 12, 2010 10:30 pm

sar1 wrote:Thanks everyone! Unfortunately can't do any resistance training yet, or hiking, running is the biggest thing I can do currently. I'll give the run/walk thing with HIIT a shot, seems to sound like the best way to make cardio improvements? Age wise I'm still 22 so no worries there.

You're only 22 and you're complaining about how hard a 5K felt? How fast were you running? I'm wondering if something else is going on here if you were having such big days only 3 mos. ago and now you're suffering on a 5K. Seems to be some kind of disconnect. As you can tell from this forum, most folks are really want to give helpful advice. Is there something else you're not telling us?

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed May 12, 2010 11:40 pm

sar1 wrote:Not withholding any info, reason I posted was because I'm surprised at the difference in time as well. Yesterday it took me over 23 minutes for the 5k and I felt like crap after, before <19 minutes was my usual time when going for a 5k. I wouldn't feel tired at all afterward. Quite a big difference.

I had a feeling...Ahh, to be young and impetuous again.

First, most people would be happy to run a 5K in 23 min. Also most people wouldn't see a 4 min. time reduction after 3 months of couch surfing as a huge setback. It sounds like the machinery's still there, it just needs a little lubing. Give it a little time, don't do too much too soon and wind up injured, and you'll be back in no time. Use all that motivation from the months of inactivity as a plus.

Previous

Return to Technique and Training