Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

cilogear customer service?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

Postby Hotoven » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:20 pm

About a year ago the same thing happened and a lot of people were complaining. I'm sure the thread is around here somewhere. It was during a time when I was looking for a pack and I was going to order one. After hearing that I bought a different brand just for that reason, so they are losing service over it. Truly a shame.
Hotoven

Postby welle » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:22 pm

Or you can PM crackers. But he hasn't been active on SP since July. RC.com would be a better place to PM - I've seen him post there very recently.
welle

Postby albanberg » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:20 pm

I just sent an email in today and got a reply back quickly. It is a small company. I really like the packs.

Edit: Jut got an email from the owner and he's been gone and the guy running the shop didn't answer emails, so he has a lot to get through.

For me the functionality of the packs is worth dealing with the fact that it's a small shop. Good people too!
albanberg

Postby zeroforhire » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:37 pm

your loss fletch.

while I agree that customer service is very important, you really missed out on a fantastic pack.
zeroforhire

Postby CClaude » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:39 pm

Full disclosure,

Graham and I have known each other for the last 15yrs so I may be construed as biased

He runs a small shop, and because of that he is limited based on the the personnel he has, especially when he is away.If you like his products then try to find ways to work with him (like PMing him here at Crackers). If you don't like his product then let your pocketbook talk.

Small businesses have a lot to offer, especially quality products taylored to a small market, but they are also constrained by resources.Thats reality. Fish Products are the same way. I have been trying to order a butt bag to replace one that I lost, but the production line is so over worked it will be a while before they will even be able to process my request. Thats just working with small shops with a quality product.....
CClaude

Postby albanberg » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:50 pm

CClaude wrote:Full disclosure,

Graham and I have known each other for the last 15yrs so I may be construed as biased

He runs a small shop, and because of that he is limited based on the the personnel he has, especially when he is away.If you like his products then try to find ways to work with him (like PMing him here at Crackers). If you don't like his product then let your pocketbook talk.

Small businesses have a lot to offer, especially quality products taylored to a small market, but they are also constrained by resources.Thats reality. Fish Products are the same way. I have been trying to order a butt bag to replace one that I lost, but the production line is so over worked it will be a while before they will even be able to process my request. Thats just working with small shops with a quality product.....

What's a butt bag?
albanberg

Postby Hotoven » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:02 pm

albanberg wrote:

What's a butt bag?

Haha yeah I went to their site to look for it and only found this...

"Big Wall John"

http://www.fishproducts.com/catalog/productlinefs.html

scroll 3/4 the way down the page. :D
Hotoven

Postby albanberg » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:10 pm

Hotoven wrote:
albanberg wrote:

Nasty...just nasty...lol

What's a butt bag?

Haha yeah I went to their site to look for it and only found this...

"Big Wall John"

http://www.fishproducts.com/catalog/productlinefs.html

scroll 3/4 the way down the page. :D

Nasty...just nasty...lol
Last edited by albanberg on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
albanberg

Postby fossana » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:42 pm

I've also had bad luck with emailing them. We'll see how it goes when I call them to report that my pack got thrashed after one climbing trip.

Anita, a few weeks ago Mammoth Mountaineering said they had some Cilogear women's waistbelts. You might give them a call to see if they'll fit your pack.

http://www.mammothgear.com/
fossana

Postby ExcitableBoy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:07 am

Not to pig pile on, but I have never seen so many beat down, thrashed, falling apart packs as Cilogear. I know many excellent alpinists who swear by them, but IMHO Cilogear has serious durability problems.

I did a week long winter trip to climb Ptarmigan Ridge on Mt Rainier in winter. I had my tried and true McHale SARC. Not super light or sexy, but super dependable-it was 13 years old at the time. My partner had a Cilogear, less than a year old (it was a replacement for one that fell apart). On the hike out State road crews had plowed HWY 410 so we had to put our skis on our back and walk the last 6 miles. NO KIDDING as we walked I could hear straps snapping under the extra load of the skis.

I admire what Graham is trying to do, but his packs have so many different kinds of fabric and so many seams and straps (i.e. points of failure) I think he has set him self up for having durability problems. Maybe Graham should take a lesson from Dan McHale. He knows how to build a pack that will outlast its owner and climb, ski, and carry wonderfully.
ExcitableBoy

Next

Return to Gear