Climbing=White Person's Sport?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
erykmynn

by erykmynn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:11 am

This is just my own observation, but has anyone else noticed Mountain Bikers in near-urban parks being more diverse than say the hikers or climbers around?

gordonye

by gordonye » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:04 am

erykmynn wrote:This is just my own observation, but has anyone else noticed Mountain Bikers in near-urban parks being more diverse than say the hikers or climbers around?

Yes. Mountain biking is more social and therefore perceived more "safe" if you're riding in places close to cities. Most successful non-whites are fairly social people (because they use good social skills in order to break down racial barriers at work). Most non-whites who are wealthy enough to afford it are not likely to be introverts like most climbers.

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:24 am

gordonye wrote: Most non-whites who are wealthy enough to afford it are not likely to be introverts like most climbers.

I don't think either of the two points in this sentence is accurate. Most climbers are introverts? You wouldn't know it from this site unless for some reason the climbers here are not a representative sample of the universe of climbers.

gordonye

by gordonye » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:41 am

Mountain Impulse wrote:
gordonye wrote: Most non-whites who are wealthy enough to afford it are not likely to be introverts like most climbers.

I don't think either of the two points in this sentence is accurate. Most climbers are introverts? You wouldn't know it from this site unless for some reason the climbers here are not a representative sample of the universe of climbers.

You cannot determine whether someone is an introvert by an online forum. Most online loudmouths are not real-life loudmouths. Just think, people who spend a lot of time being loudmouths online are not spending that time talking to people in person. Climbing (and wilderness backpacking) requires being intensely self-sufficient both physically and emotionally for extended periods of time. From my experience anyway, most climbers are introverts.

battledome

by battledome » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:00 pm

If climbing really is a white person's sport, then Sammy Sosa just went from V0 to V12.

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:50 pm

Interesting assertions, but I'm not sure I agree ...

Some examples: go for a hike on a weekday evening up Mission Peak near Fremont. It's usually a pretty diverse crowd.

Another training hike I like to do is Black Mountain, from the Rhus Ridge trailhead in Los Altos Hills, on the SF Peninsula. This is a hiking-only route, no bikes. I remember talking to the caretaker who lives near the trailhead a couple of years ago. He commented that the numbers of asians and other ethnic groups hiking up had steadily increased over time. Yes, I've seen black people on this route too ;)

I forget the estimate of how many engineers in Silicon Valley are from the Indian subcontinent or Asia, but it's a pretty large number. Engineers are known for being nerdy introverts :) But to say introverted people lack social skills ? Hmmm ...

Climbers mostly introverts ? I dunno about that either .. seems to me that most of the female climbers I know like groups. And climbing sort of requires a partner unless you are free soloing.

My advice would be to get out more and post silly generalizations on the internet less :)

Charles

by Charles » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:17 pm

MikeTX wrote:that's a good question. i actually brought this up before.

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=

I did too - somewhere on P&P. It seems to be here in Germany, I´ve never bumped into a Turk for example on the hill here in eastern or Western Alps. The number of coloured climbers I´ve seen in the UK could be counted on the hand of a blind wood chopper.
Don´t know why - complicated social question I guess.

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:21 pm

I'm with Charles. Very, very rarely see a black face in the hills.

On the thread that MikeTX started in May this year I did recount the sad story of the lovely black woman I walked with a few times last year. She stayed down here with me a couple of times and could have become a great friend. But she too noticed there were no black faces on the walks we did together. And always kept on about it, to the point it became a "Chinese Water Torture" for me. I used to cringe waiting for the next time she would mention it. So we parted company. :(

I don't hold her views against her. She'd had a hard upbringing in what was at the time a racist UK. It was understandable.

gordonye

by gordonye » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:48 pm

grammys11 wrote:I'd bet LeBron or Adrian Peterson or Pujols could get up any mountain on earth. They spent their childhood shooting free throws, running sprints, or in the batting cages. I spent my childhood up in the mountains. I think a lot of it is generational. We all need someone to introduce it to us. For me that was my Dad, but for people that grew up in broken households or lack of parents (like most urban residents) then it would be tough. I truly don't feel its a money thing, because thats one of the best parts about the outdoors - its free. Tough to make the argument its economical. Its cultural or generational. People tend to gravitate towards things they have a little success in. If I could have dunked or hit a 100 mph fastball in high school, I definitely would have given up more than a few mountain trips.

Plus in CA, its a mixed bag. You never know what you're going to get, especially in the mountains!

Very good point. It requires a lot less money to hike and backpack in the wilderness than to hang out at disney world. It's about whether you find joy doing it. Kids need to have role models in the sport, and they need to be introduced to it.

rhyang wrote:I forget the estimate of how many engineers in Silicon Valley are from the Indian subcontinent or Asia, but it's a pretty large number. Engineers are known for being nerdy introverts :) But to say introverted people lack social skills ? Hmmm ...

Climbers mostly introverts ? I dunno about that either .. seems to me that most of the female climbers I know like groups. And climbing sort of requires a partner unless you are free soloing.

You're right about female climbers. Though liking to climb with someone else doesn't make you an extrovert IMO.

You're also right about engineers from Asia. Though they're an exception out of most racial minorities in the US.

jspeigl

by jspeigl » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:59 am

Diggler

by Diggler » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:30 pm

THAT was f'ing funny. :lol: "Is there anyone else HIDING in the bushes??!! Come on out!"

McCannster

by McCannster » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:39 pm

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:50 pm

There are many 7-summit expeditions where the majority of the participants are Black.

Previous

Return to General