Cold Weather Decisions

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
EverydayExplorer

Cold Weather Decisions

by EverydayExplorer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:16 pm

I'm heading up to Banff for a week of mixed climbing in mid-March. No particular lines have been decided but probably in the 5.7, WI3 range. This will be my first experience of prolonged climbing in cold, cold temps. As a result I need some help making a few decisions.

1) Sleeping Bag - Currently I have a 15 degree down. I don't really want to drop the $$$ on a -20 down bag but I will if I have to. Would sleeping in a 15 degree down bag with insulated pants, jacket, booties and a liner suffice? I would also have what amounts to two pads underneath me.

2) I have a pair of La Sportiva Trango Alps, which have been bad*ss for the PNW but I'm a bit afraid they won't be warm enough for the Canadian Rockies. My choices are replace the liners on my orange Koflachs (I lost the originals) or get an overboot for the Trango Alps. What are your thoughts for moderate ice and mixed climbing?

3) I snowboarded for the first time yesterday, I have skied once in my life. I like both, I think I like snowboarding more. The reason I mention this is because I may or may not need flotation to get around Banff but I need to think about getting a setup. Don't worry, I am not foolish enough to think I can ski/snowboard in the backcountry with a whopping 1 day of experience but getting around may be easier on a setup instead of snowshoes. Should I be looking an AT setup or a splitboard setup. Or should I say f*ck it and snowshoe it to BC while my friends ski.

I appreciate it.

builttospill

by builttospill » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:14 pm

I have no experience in the Canadian Rockies, but to question #3, I would say that you're better off snowshoeing this trip and THEN deciding between an AT or splitboard set up when you've had more time to think it through. Both are expensive decisions that you'll be stuck with, so its worth really thinking long and hard about it, and even trying each out a bit via rental if possible or something. I splitboard, but I'd like to learn to ski.....and a tiny part of me wishes I hadn't bought my most recent splitboard. That's more because I don't use it often enough though....

JedSMG

by JedSMG » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:58 pm

Another vote for "new liners for the Koflachs". Trango Alp in winter is asking for it...
Jed

Return to Gear