Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Colorado in April

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.

Re: Colorado in April

Postby rockymtnclimber » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:00 am

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to see that after all that bickering, there's actually a climbing note at the end.

Now, I have can go back to laughing about all this talk about Coloradans and their 14ers. Where I come from (WA state), we laugh about how the crazy Coloradans have no business coming up and trying to do Rainier, thinking it's just another 14er. I happened to top out on Rainier at 16 years old with 2 guys from CO, and it was painfully obvious that I was more confortable and competent on snow and ice than they were. I guess we're probably all more comfortable on our home turf.
rockymtnclimber

Postby spiritualspatula » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:29 am

Glad to hear everything went well for your climb and that you enjoyed it.
Good choice on the Oskar Blues- I don't think they make one I'm not fond of. We've got tons and tons of great beer out here, so drink up.
Also, I didn't mean to sound derogatory in describing the snow out east- I was using junk like crap you have to deal with conditions wise. Sorta sounded like an ass rereading that there...
spiritualspatula

The following user would like to thank spiritualspatula for this post
Flattlander

Postby mconnell » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:38 am

rockymtnclimber wrote:Thanks for the update. I'm glad to see that after all that bickering, there's actually a climbing note at the end.

Now, I have can go back to laughing about all this talk about Coloradans and their 14ers. Where I come from (WA state), we laugh about how the crazy Coloradans have no business coming up and trying to do Rainier, thinking it's just another 14er. I happened to top out on Rainier at 16 years old with 2 guys from CO, and it was painfully obvious that I was more confortable and competent on snow and ice than they were. I guess we're probably all more comfortable on our home turf.

Despite what those from WA might say, Rainier is just another 14er. A fun one, but still just a 14er.
mconnell

Postby Clark_Griswold » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:24 am

mconnell wrote:
rockymtnclimber wrote:Thanks for the update. I'm glad to see that after all that bickering, there's actually a climbing note at the end.

Despite what those from WA might say, Rainier is just another 14er. A fun one, but still just a 14er.

I think he meant that despite it being between 14,000 and 14,999', it isn't just the dry summer walk up or easy scramble which seems to be the case for all the so called hard mountains in Colorado, which also happen to be 14ers. When was the last time a crevasse was encountered on Little Bear or Capitol Peak?
Clark_Griswold

Postby Flattlander » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:11 am

Sincere thanks, guys! I'm glad I got to have a mountain adventure while I was in Colorado, and to feel what it is like to snowshoe through heavy snow at 14,000 feet (a lot like snowshoeing in my yard in Vermont, except I was less drunk).

Funny that it took all of about three comments since my update to get the bickering going again. "My mountain is scarier than your mountain," and such. I'm sure there are hard things to do in the Rockies as well as on Rainier. Hell, I don't know if anyone's ever told you guys, but there are even opportunities to kill yourself climbing here in New England :)

We are all lucky to live in places with mountains nearby, to be sure. Trust me, I'm from Jersey, and I didn't even know I liked mountains until a couple years ago when I moved to VT. I used to hike to the deli and get a pork roll, egg and cheese. I used to climb out of bed and go to WaWa.

I would be honored and excited to stand on top of Rainier or Little Bear.
Flattlander

Postby mconnell » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:22 am

Lionel wrote: When was the last time a crevasse was encountered on Little Bear or Capitol Peak?

When was the last time a 1000' vertical rock face was encountered on Rainier?
mconnell

Postby CSUMarmot » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 am

mconnell wrote:
Lionel wrote: When was the last time a crevasse was encountered on Little Bear or Capitol Peak?

OH SHI------!!!!! We got an intra-state rumble going on!
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris
CSUMarmot

Postby Scott » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:41 am

There are rock faces higher than that on Rainier, even if they aren't dead vertical (but neither are Little Bear or Capitol). For example, the upper 1000 feet of the Willis Headwall on Rainier is as steep (or steeper) as the faces on Capitol and Little Bear, but the face itself is much higher (3X's as high as the faces on Capitol or Little Bear). :wink:
Scott

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Clark_Griswold

Postby Clark_Griswold » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:26 pm

It's funny, that McConnell asked that question, because when I think of a Colorado Mountain, I think of a rounded high 13er or 14er with a base valley of about 10,000', or higher, or a mountain with extremely rotted rock and loose talus all over the place. Even though they aren't that wet for the most part (aside from a few of the NW ranges and maybe the San Juans) when compared to the Cascades or Sierra, or the Northern Rockies, because these are high mountains, they have snow on them well into late June or early July, and then you have Colorado's crappy summer weather to deal with. All those people having to make their absurd "alpine starts" to hike a 14er with 10 miles of hiking and 4,000' of elevation gain, because lightning and heavy rain, hail, and cold wet conditions will probably happen and ruin an otherwise nice day.

It's also funny you ask that when I see people from Colorado "taking it to the next level" by going to Mexico to walk up a 18,000' mountain, because we all know elevation is the only thing in mountains to matter. They would never dream of doing a technical ice and snow Cascade volcano, because it isn't a 14er, or it is a lower mountain than Elbert. I even once saw a 14ers trip report where the author felt he had to qualify the Grand Teton as worthy of doing despite it not being a 14er. Sort of like say, "well, it isn't a 14er, but climbing that 5.9, grade V, 12,000' mountain in Patagonia was sort of worth it since it was the highest thing around.

Don't take that personally, it's just opinion and observations I've made. You could make a few about me, too. I'm no great mountaineer, and what I have done will not impress anyone. I just think its really funny how a lot of CO people get so worked up over their 14ers and Centennials, especially to out of state visitors. I think the attitude of, "it's high and therefore hard", can only work with people from the east, and plains, where 5,000' is flat as a pancake. When you talk to people from other western states who have seen mountains, and been in them, and know a little about them, we start to laugh. Longs might be a longish hike with some scrambling, but it isn't that hard for people who have been in similar in California or Wyoming. It might be for a guy from Kansas, but they're from Kansas.

Mountain hiking, scrambling, and or climbing is supposed to be fun. I always find it irritating when "experienced" people start to espouse the dangers of it and tell others to do an easier mountain, or, "they don't belong there", never mind what they themselves might have experience with, or for that matter know about the other person's experience level. By most of his hero worshipers, that David Worthington knew what he was doing and was "experience", but he got into trouble on a very easy walk-up, so decisions on site are more important at times then just having been out there.

And besides, Colorado and northern New Mexico, we all know they suck, and are just trying to be Wyoming, Idaho, and especially California, where the climbing is real, and the weather doesn't suck all year round. :wink:
Clark_Griswold

Postby mconnell » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Scott wrote:

There are rock faces higher than that on Rainier, even if they aren't dead vertical (but neither are Little Bear or Capitol). For example, the upper 1000 feet of the Willis Headwall on Rainier is as steep (or steeper) as the faces on Capitol and Little Bear, but the face itself is much higher (3X's as high as the faces on Capitol or Little Bear). :wink:

I wasn't talking about Little Bear or Capitol. Thinking more of the Diamond.

Anyway, I really don't care whose mountain is "harder." People slam CO mountains as being walk-ups. Most are, if you want to climb them that way. So is Rainier, if that's what you're looking for.
mconnell

Postby Clark_Griswold » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Be that as it may, your original response was that Rainier is just another 14er, expressing a view which indicates your measuring a mountain only by it's altitude and not for the other characteristics, such as technical difficulty, as was being implied in the first post about it. The finest alpine flower displays that I have seen have been in Colorado. I think people would be less likely to slam CO mountains if CO people had a slightly less arrogant view of them, and one which is almost entirely based on them being high.
Clark_Griswold

Postby CSUMarmot » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:44 pm

Lionel wrote: I always find it irritating when "experienced" people start to espouse the dangers of it and tell others to do an easier mountain, or, "they don't belong there", never mind what they themselves might have experience with, or for that matter know about the other person's experience level.

Sorry if telling people to be careful somehow burdens your pleasure
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris
CSUMarmot

Postby mconnell » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:23 pm

Lionel wrote:Be that as it may, your original response was that Rainier is just another 14er, expressing a view which indicates your measuring a mountain only by it's altitude and not for the other characteristics, such as technical difficulty, as was being implied in the first post about it. The finest alpine flower displays that I have seen have been in Colorado. I think people would be less likely to slam CO mountains if CO people had a slightly less arrogant view of them, and one which is almost entirely based on them being high.

No, my original response was that Rainier is just another 14er, expressing a view that indicates that Rainier having a couple of glaciers on it doesn't make it any more of a "real mountain" than any other mountain.
mconnell

Postby Clark_Griswold » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Whatever :roll: :lol:
Clark_Griswold

PreviousNext

Return to Colorado