JedSMG wrote:It seems that November sucks, everywhere. Prove me wrong ... Prove me wrong!
Well, you asked twice, so hand me the gun and step back from the barrel. I hope you like fish ...
- best all-round month for both classic alpine routes and steeper ice routes in New Zealand
- the busiest trekking month (with Oct) in Nepal, and for peaks up to 6500m. Most of the harder tech ice routes in the Khumbu are done in late Oct through November.
- the best month for many peaks up to 6500m in Sichuan and Yunnan
- the best month for icier routes in the High Andes of Argentina and Chile, especially the more technical routes on Mercedario (6600m)
- the best month (with Oct) for starting Patagonian icecap trips
- the best month for starting Antarctic expeditions. All seven of my trips to the Sentinel Range went in late November.
November is also often good for:
- early season water ice in the Ghost area, AB, Canada
- hard mixed alpine routes in the French Alps above Chamonix
- the ice or mixed routes in Patagonia. eg. Cerro Torre west face, Fitzroy Supercouloir, Exocet etc.
- the 6000+m peaks of the Atacama desert (more snowfields to get water)
- unclimbed peaks on South Georgia
- long rock routes in Oman, Morocco etc
- Indian Creek and other desert areas