Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Cougar Thread ???

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
 

Re: Cougar Thread ???

Postby mrchad9 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:32 am

dadndave wrote:I imagine it got moved because it wasn't climbing related. I didn't move it so I can't comment further on that.

Moving it to OR certainly didn't suck your participation out of it.

Lots of things that are relevant to this site are not specifically climbing. Like canyon pages, many of the backpacking route pages, etc. But this was a relevant topic, not some BS political thread or photos of scantly dressed women.

Yes I still participated in it, but the interesting people I and others were participating with dropped out because they couldn't find it or see it on the front page.

Haven't you guys noticed that a critical mass of good participants is lacking in off route? See whitetail's post above as an example. If you want this site to be robust, you need to make threads like that (that are about the outdoors) remain more visible. Focus on making the site good, not utilizing mod capabilities.
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4229
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1220 times in 827 posts

Re: Cougar Thread ???

Postby lcarreau » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:38 am

dadndave wrote:
Moving it to OR ...


You moved it to Oregon ? Okay ... okay, I see it. :roll:
User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4056
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Court of the Crimson King, Arizona, United States
Thanked: 946 times in 706 posts

Re: Cougar Thread ???

Postby dadndave » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:59 am

I didn't move it at all in the first instance. I'm just guessing the reason it was initially moved from the California forum. I only subsequently moved it out of Off Route to clean it up after it got totally out of hand so that it is now, shall we say, accessible to people other than those who chose to turn it into a useless pissing contest (even by ORegon standards).

To be honest, I see no reason why it couldn't be restored to the California forum now that it's been cleaned up, so I will do that shortly, with some reservation because I'm not keen on second guessing other moderators.

As for utilising mod capabilities, it's just like being the janitor. If people don't piss all over the floor I wouldn't have to clean it up.
The strawman is evil and must be punished,
User Avatar
dadndave
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 13891
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:21 am
Location: Independent Republic of North Beerwah
Thanked: 1304 times in 858 posts

The following user would like to thank dadndave for this post
lcarreau, mrchad9

Re: Cougar Thread ???

Postby dadndave » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:11 am

Of course it doesn't. You live in OR :D
The strawman is evil and must be punished,
User Avatar
dadndave
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 13891
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:21 am
Location: Independent Republic of North Beerwah
Thanked: 1304 times in 858 posts

Re: Cougar Thread ???

Postby mrchad9 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:21 am

Thank you sir!
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4229
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1220 times in 827 posts

Re: Cougar Thread ???

Postby The Chief » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:13 am

dadndave wrote:If you're logged in it's at the bottom of the forum list. It's where non-climbing related stuff belongs. It's very lightly moderated, in fact hardly moderated at all unless things get stupidly out of hand.



Please do share with us dadndave what this thread concerning the hunting and killing of a Cougar on a Private Hunting Reserve in the state of Idaho by an off duty CA D F&G Commission President, has to do with anything related to CLIMBING news and conditions in California?

Per the CA Forum nomenclature:

California
Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State.



This event did not even happen in the State of California.

Last time I checked, this was a website that includes hiking, peak bagging and climbing.

I guess you are now endorsing and officially including Hunting into that list.
The Chief

 
Thanked: time in post

Re: Cougar Thread ???

Postby The Chief » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:31 am

I will.... without using any dogs to shoot up a tree some 15' and kill a cougar to do so.


Sure will be nice to see what dadndave has to say regarding my question posted above....
The Chief

 
Thanked: time in post

Re: Cougar Thread ???

Postby Bob Burd » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:33 am

I moved the thread some days ago because it was a politically charged bit of bickering about hunting. That's OR on SummitPost, far as I can tell. If a few of you decide to then go after each other because you can't help yourselves, don't blame the move. Look to your own behavior.
User Avatar
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 4127
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2001 10:42 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 473 times in 240 posts

Re: Cougar Thread ???

Postby jesu, joy of man's desiring » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:39 am

Bob Burd wrote:If a few of you decide to then go after each other because you can't help yourselves


that sounds vaguely homo-erotic
User Avatar
jesu, joy of man's desiring

 
Posts: 731
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:54 pm
Thanked: 452 times in 337 posts

Re: Cougar Thread ???

Postby The Chief » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:45 am

Bob Burd wrote:I moved the thread some days ago because it was a politically charged bit of bickering about hunting. That's OR on SummitPost, far as I can tell. If a few of you decide to then go after each other because you can't help yourselves, don't blame the move. Look to your own behavior.


Still does not explain how a totally OR based thread remains on the open CA forum and has absolutely nothing to do with Climbing, Hiking or Peak Bagging Conditions in the State of California per the websites Forum mandate.

Since the mod that returned it back to this forum will not answer this question, maybe you will.



Oh, are you saying Bob Burd that it was returned here to the open CA Climbing forum because of the exchanges that occurred while it was in OR and not because it has anything to do with what the Forum mandate dictates?

Premise not content that will follow the prescribed and directed mandate concerning such.... got it.
Last edited by The Chief on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Chief

 
Thanked: time in post

Re: Cougar Thread ???

Postby Bob Burd » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:59 am

Steve1215 wrote:
Bob Burd wrote:If a few of you decide to then go after each other because you can't help yourselves


that sounds vaguely homo-erotic


There was nothing vague about the homo-erotic drift of the thread before it was pulled to the recycling bin.


The Chief wrote:Oh, are you saying Bob Burd that it was returned here to the open CA Climbing forum because of the exchanges that occurred while it was in OR and not because it has anything to do with what the Forum mandate dictates?


I can't say for sure, since DnD (I think) put it back in CA and the two of us didn't discuss it between us. I think Chad's point is that such banal exchanges occur when a thread goes to OR and therefore the threads should stay out of OR to prevent this - DnD may have agreed with this, or perhaps didn't feel it was OR as I did. I certainly don't think the solution is to keep OR threads out of OR - that would just lead to all sorts of unrelated threads remaining out of OR because of concern as to what might happen to them.
User Avatar
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 4127
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2001 10:42 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 473 times in 240 posts

Re: Cougar Thread ???

Postby The Chief » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:08 am

Bob Burd wrote:
The Chief wrote:Oh, are you saying Bob Burd that it was returned here to the open CA Climbing forum because of the exchanges that occurred while it was in OR and not because it has anything to do with what the Forum mandate dictates?


I can't say for sure, since DnD (I think) put it back in CA and the two of us didn't discuss it between us. I think Chad's point is that such banal exchanges occur when a thread goes to OR and therefore the threads should stay out of OR to prevent this - DnD may have agreed with this, or perhaps didn't feel it was OR as I did. I certainly don't think the solution is to keep OR threads out of OR - that would just lead to all sorts of unrelated threads remaining out of OR because of concern as to what might happen to them.


Therefore, regardless of content and the rules and mandates that dictate such, it was returned here not to better the Forum, rather to appease the author (whom I am not allowed to mention because of my agreement not to) and his whims.

In other words it was returned here in order to prevent me from presenting how ludicrous this thread really is and how it does absolutely nothing to better the SP community as a whole in regards to hiking, peak bagging or climbing.

The Killing of a Cougar by an off duty Commission President of the CA d F&G is now positive and solid constructive material within the state of California's climbing conditions and news forum.

Got it.
The Chief

 
Thanked: time in post

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.