crossing palisades glacier

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
ffschooley

crossing palisades glacier

by ffschooley » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:02 am

Im planning a trip to climb thundbolt peak this august. We are planning on one of the more technical east face routes. I am wondering if crampons are necessary or if microspikes would surfice? We would only need them for crossing the glacier and the bergschrund. Any thougts?

mrchad9

Re: crossing palisades glacier

by mrchad9 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:12 am

I made it into Underhill Couloir last spring without them, just normal boots. It wasn't dicy, but I suppose at times it could be. Still if I were to repeat that I wouldn't plan to take them.

no avatar
ffschooley

by ffschooley » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:52 pm

Thanks for the info. Did you cross the glacier directly or is it possible to skirt the edge? Just trying to figure out why eveyone is using crampons and ice axes...

artrock23

by artrock23 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:34 am

ffschooley wrote:Just trying to figure out why eveyone is using crampons and ice axes...

At a guess, i'd say because they feel safer doing so?

As for me, if there's snowfields or glaciers to cross, I default to bringing ice axe and crampons. I may not end up needing them, but better to have the choice.
Some people feel fine without 'em. Many times it comes down to personal preference, I think.

TheNobleSunfish

by TheNobleSunfish » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 pm

Be alert that there is probably more crevasse danger than usual, since last year's very dry winter let a lot more form! Most of the big ones I noticed when I was there in October were on the Sill side:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7301483@N02/8024102141/in/photostream

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:27 pm

Oops! I don't know why I wrote spring in my post above. It was September so very late summer.

We went up the moraine on the right side. So mostly on solid ground. As it was late it the season (and early in the morning) it was a bit icy on the glacier but it wasn't steep, lots of rocks around, and as I said not dicy at all. No crevasses or anything of note right there either. Entering the underhill couloir across the bergshrund would be the only spot they could possibly be necessary, but when we went our entire group of six went over with only hiking boots and no ax or crampons. I don't think anyone had poles either.

I've no idea why many people take crampons there. I suppose some might like to carry a cache of small rocks to the summit too!

Return to California