Current Conditions on Mt. Tallac & Pyramid Peak.Any Snow

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
deep6

Current Conditions on Mt. Tallac & Pyramid Peak.Any Snow

by deep6 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:25 pm

i was planning to head out to do Mt. Tallac & Pyramid Peak this weekend but, i was hoping there would be still snow on these mountains...anybody know the current conditions on these mountains or is it just a pile of rocks and running water by now? any help or info. would be much appreciated...please fee free to post up here + pics or shoot me PM. thank you.

no avatar
Greg D

by Greg D » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:14 am

As of yesterday, via Rocky Canyon, there is solid snow coverage from about the halfway point to the final scree slopes. I did not use snow shoes and never post-holed.

rdesota

by rdesota » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:41 am

4 - 5 days ago../.

deep6

by deep6 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:55 am

greg: thanks for the latest info. on the snow conditions on pyramid peak...so it was pretty much soft/slushy snow and no other gear needed? are there wilderness permits at this trailhead??

rdesota: sweetttt pic! did u end up climbing tallac...if so how was the snow conditions and which route?

i was hoping to get in some snow climbing practice w/ the snowshoes/axe/crampons on either or both of these mtns.

thank you.

fedak

by fedak » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:30 pm

From Sunday:

Pyramid/Agassiz/Price in the rear.
Waterhouse in the foreground. Taken from Pickett.

Full Size:
http://www.fedak.net/modules/Gallery/albums/HawkinsPickett/IMG_0707.jpg

http://www.fedak.net/photos/HawkinsPick ... ndard.html
Last edited by fedak on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Greg D

by Greg D » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:47 pm

You can pick up your day permit at the ranger station in Freshpond or at the Mt Ralston trailhead, both self serve kiosks so any time is fine. Also, if you're going up Pyramid via Horsetail Falls, you will find a permit kiosk at the Wilderness boundary.

There are plenty of places to use your crampons/axe on both mountains depending on which route you choose.

rdesota

by rdesota » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:17 am

it was taken from my house. I've been up about 6 times this year on skis always from spring creek and on skins/skis. I did not go up recently. Heading up the cross on Tallac is cool practice for ice axes and crampons, but I'm not sure on the approach right now with it being melted out. looks as though you can have about half the moutain/climb on snow and the lower half not. get a really early start. pyramid might also be good practice, but it's a bit more of an apporach to get there. Have a great time!

deep6

by deep6 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:52 am

greg: thanks for the info. on the wilderness permits. what mt. tallac route would you recommend w/ the current conditions that's best to practice w/ axe & crampons on?

rdesota: wow...that's an amazing view from the house! which route is that your describing on tallac going up the cross? yeah i was planning an early start on either mtn. since i know the sun is gonna hit fast and its gonna be a slush fest by the afternoon.

thank you.

rdesota

by rdesota » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:01 am

maybe start at Spring Creek. The cross is the the snow cross in the picture (east facing) the cross member being slanted downward left to right. You can head up toward it and get on snow then head right toward the pinch in the cross. It is pretty cool. It can get steep toward the top but totally doable. People ski it all the time. I'm sorry about being somewhat vague in the approach as I've only done it on skis and on snow, not without snow. I'll see if i can draw a line on the photo...if you want it...

desmo13

by desmo13 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:46 am

thanks for the info, I am planning on going up Tallac on saturday, hopefully some snow left? Is that cross pretty safe for a solo beginner? (i have had 2 mountaineering classes on Shasta)

rdesota

by rdesota » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:53 am

that's a tough one to tell you whether its safe. That is a personal choice and I wouldn't want to feel responsible for getting you in trouble. If it is too steep toward the top you can retreat simply back down the upper cross, but there are places right near the top that if you fell it would be bad. Still plenty of snow in the cross as well. go early. Have fun. It is pretty cool.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:24 am

Don't know if this helps, these are from this past Saturday 6/26

desmo13

by desmo13 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:24 am

thank you for the input. I will check it out, not worried too much about climbing the whole route, just to play with my axe and crampons a little. Wife would hate for to ruin the vacation being at the bottom of a snow slide :)

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:26 am

desmo13 wrote:thank you for the input. I will check it out, not worried too much about climbing the whole route, just to play with my axe and crampons a little. Wife would hate for to ruin the vacation being at the bottom of a snow slide :)

Sorry, not sure what I did wrong pictures should have been posted. I guess go to my profile for the photos. Troy

desmo13

by desmo13 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:37 am

good photos, looks like plenty of room to play and work on skills. how did the "cross" section mentioned look?

Next

Return to California