Denali Securing Your Tent

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
chickentikka

Re: Denali Securing Your Tent

by chickentikka » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:26 pm

How many snow pickets should I bring like the Above^

Fletch

by Fletch » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:52 pm

You can use pickets on Denali for crevasse rescue, for tent achoring, for running belays, and a number of other things... if each member of your team brought one, you'd be fine --- but I would suggest 3 (for a rope team of 4) at a minimum.

Get the 36 inch ones --- I have yet to find a use for the other sizes that the 36 inch ones can't handle...

I assume you're going up the West Buttress? If you are planning another route, screws and pickets will be your best friends... bring more...

The following user would like to thank Fletch for this post
chickentikka

no avatar
Alasdair

by Alasdair » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:37 am

chickentikka wrote:How many snow pickets should I bring like the Above^

None! I am sure you will have some pickets with you but they are for climbing. You dont need them for securing a tent. It is overkill. Have a look at the big snow stakes that Hilleburg sells. They work great. Failing that use the stuff sack trick. If you dont like that, take some extra bamboo wands and deadman them.
www.alasdairturner.com
@alasdairturner

The following user would like to thank Alasdair for this post
chickentikka, splattski

AndyJB444

by AndyJB444 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Another vote for snow "parachutes"...use em as dead man anchors for your tent. They are light, strong, and take up minimal space. Although, thats not too important on a climb up the West Butt..

I really only needed a picket for glacial rescue lower on the mountain as there are/were plenty of anchors already in place to clip into in the sketchier sections 14,5 and above... so leave the extra pickets behind and replace them with more BACON!

The following user would like to thank AndyJB444 for this post
chickentikka

Previous

Return to Canada and Alaska