Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Desert Water Agency (DWA) property

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Re: Desert Water Agency (DWA) property

Postby tradmonkey » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:55 pm

estunum wrote:From just reading here every possible mention about ownership of sec 33, it is often said that is per public records. Where is this record? Can someone point me in the correct direction to get it? I'd be handy to carry with me just in case they want to get froggy. Also, it might save my ass from just relying on forum posts, who knows, maybe they now own more sections.

This is probably the most accessible resource: http://www3.tlma.co.riverside.ca.us/pa/rclis/

Section 33 is pretty well marked on the USGS topos (most I've seen anyway) and it's definitely possible to avoid the plot on a trip up snow creek. Know when you're on their land and when you're not. If they harass you on public land, let us know!

A couple of months ago, a Snow Creek local gathered up other interested climbers got the attention of the Access Fund and the Allied Climbers of San Diego. The three co-authored a letter to the DWA requesting that they cease the harassment of climbers and hikers passing by on public land. In return, we have promised to educate the public about Section 33 and how to avoid it, and encourage Leave No Trace practices including the use of 'wag bags' by those passing through the watershed.

Some time this fall, I expect to have a webpage up that details how to climb Snow Creek legally. I still have some research to do as the temps creep down to a tolerable level. I'll be sure to keep Summitpost up to speed.

Thanks,
Adam
tradmonkey

The following user would like to thank tradmonkey for this post
cbuelow

Postby estunum » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:06 pm

Yea, section 33 is clearly marked on topos, but only section 33. The reason I ask about the public record is to see if they have possibly acquired additional land. That web site didn't prove helpful, but thanks anyways!

My hometown is Indio, so perhaps I am gonna have to attend that monthly meeting and get it straight from them. Specially with what I ran across recently. I noticed that topo maps are always dated from the 80s, even 70s. I found a map of that area dated from 1996, and from what I can tell, both section 33 and 28 are theirs. There's actually other sections labeled as "corporate" I had never seen labeled either, but those aren't in question. So if I am looking at this correctly, the DWA is actually being kind to let people access that area for the PCT. Here's the map...

estunum

Postby tradmonkey » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:46 pm

Interesting! I could swear that just a month or two ago, all of those parcels that now indicate "owner names not available online" had specific owner name information for nearly all of them. Wonder what the deal is now. I don't recall specifically the ownership of section 28...

Adam
tradmonkey

Postby estunum » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:33 am

While neither has owner names, section 33 does have the mailing address "C/O CONTROLLER P O BOX 1710 PALM SPRINGS CA. 92263" which is the DWA's contact address. Nothing on 28, but on the topo map on my previous map it is labeled Corporate Boundary and has a dotted line around it just like 33.
estunum

Postby coldfoot » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:14 am

I don't know anything about this situation, but from looking at the topo map I think "Corporate Boundary" is to be read "Palm Springs Corporate Boundary," that is the edge of the incorporated municipality. I don't think "Corporate Boundary" is usually used to mean ownership by a corporation or private entity. So I wouldn't read too much into that. Topo maps aren't the official reference for land ownership, of course.
coldfoot

Postby tradmonkey » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:43 pm

I emailed the GIS contact for that web reference about owner names and got this back...

The publicly viewable online mapping application (RCLIS) no longer shows owner names. If you have GIS software (ArcGIS) you can download our data from here: http://www.rctlma.org/gis/content/data.aspx

I have ArcGIS and will see what I can do with it this weekend.
tradmonkey

Postby ExcitableBoy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:06 pm

coldfoot wrote:Topo maps aren't the official reference for land ownership, of course.

I have a friend that found that out the hard way. He put up what is considered the longest sport climb in N.A. (26 pitches) on a mountain, part of which is in a wilderness area. Using a United States Geological Survey Map for his reference, he put his route outside the wildnerness area using a gas powered drill. Turns out the map boundry was incorrect and he had inadvertently installed his route inside the wilderness boundry much to the hand wringing of Forest Service officals and the anti bolting crowd.
ExcitableBoy

Postby surgent » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:16 pm

coldfoot wrote:I don't know anything about this situation, but from looking at the topo map I think "Corporate Boundary" is to be read "Palm Springs Corporate Boundary," that is the edge of the incorporated municipality. I don't think "Corporate Boundary" is usually used to mean ownership by a corporation or private entity. So I wouldn't read too much into that. Topo maps aren't the official reference for land ownership, of course.

This is correct. Corporate Boundary means city limits on the topo, but these can change often, too.

The BLM maps (1:100000 scale) are usually more detailed as to what's public and private, and updated a little more often than the USGS maps.
surgent

Postby KathyW » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:42 am

Knowing the ownership shown per "public record" does not tell you everything. Just because one entity pays the property taxes, it doesn't mean they are the entity who holds all the rights to the property.
KathyW

Postby estunum » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:54 am

Perhaps this is what the DWA relies on. So many details are lost in paperwork from the city, county, the state, permits, wilderness, or whatever you want to add, that they can essentially make up their own rules for the area. Whenever I do go home, I do intend to do so in a time frame that I can sit in the meeting and ask questions. Of course I might get nothing more than their biased opinion, but at least whatever they say I can attach a source to it. Going off earlier posts on this thread, this damn sense of entitlement on both sides is what's causing the friction to begin with.
estunum

Previous

Return to California