Desolation Wilderness Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
tyler4588

Desolation Wilderness Conditions

by tyler4588 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi everybody,
I'm heading up to the Desolation Wilderness for an overnight on Thursday and Friday. Does anybody know the snow levels and such? I'm thinking of attempting Price, Agassiz, and Pyramid, and I'd like to know if I'll need boots vs. shoes, snowshoes, gaiters, etc. for their Western approaches. Thanks in advance!
Tyler

Marmaduke

Re: Desolation Wilderness Conditions

by Marmaduke » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:41 pm

Here's a recent thread that was started, current conditions are noted.
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/desolation-wilderness-snow-conditions-t62097.html

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:03 pm

I was on the Bayview Trail. The lower portion did not have any snow. The upper just a little here and there with a well worn path through it from hikers. That trail gets full sun the so the melt will be fast. The Sylvia Lake Trail has a lot of shade for quite awhile, I would have to assume some snow there and I don't know what kind of traffic has been on it. The upper portions to Pyramid or to Price are receiving sun so again I would bet there's not much snow.

I wore boots and gaiters weren't needed.

no avatar
fruitflyman

by fruitflyman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:42 pm

As of June 10 - all summits and ridges free of snow. Some patches of snow on trails below treeline and on N and E slopes.

Return to California