Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Die, Angeles Crest Highway, Die!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Postby MCGusto » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:03 am

When I was up there on Sunday it looked like nature was already well on its way to taking back the area surrounding Angeles Crest. I've got a bunch of stuff to do, but I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Gusto
MCGusto

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:09 pm

Keep dreaming...they ain't gonna close it for good, never.

Personally, I love ACH, it's Newcombs Ranch that I won't miss one iota, what a shithole. I guess if you like the weekend warrior wannabe racers, (or are one of them) then it will be missed. No more live bands blasting crappy cover songs into the forest...Yea! Or how 'bout all the motorcycle crashes, and near misses? What a bunch of a-holes those guys are. I can't tell you how many times I've had to swerve to avoid hitting one of those jerks who cross the yellow line while they race up to Newcombs to drink beer. :x Or how many times the road gets blocked while they clear the carnage of one of the many biker carshes every weekend.

The owner of Newcombs said he wanted to open a bed and breakfast and small conference center, thank God that won't be happening! :!:

As far as Waterman, well the ski area was closed for some years before the new owner took over and It was fantastic to have the powder all to myself. Kratka Ridge has been abandoned for almost 10 years and I still ski there at least 10 times a season.
Rob

Postby Luciano136 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:38 pm

I personally like Newcomb's but only at night when everyone is gone. It's fun after a little snow outing in the local mountains.

As far as motorcycles, I ride one too and some guys are good about it but then of course, you have the douches that think they are on a race track and spoil the fun for everyone else.
Luciano136

Postby Tom Kenney » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:26 pm

It's now unlikely that they'll even close the Islip-Vincent section permanently. They just built a multi-million dollar bridge to repair the avalanche damage from a few years ago. I'll post a pic of said bridge later tonight.
Tom Kenney

Postby x15x15 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:30 pm

agree on the rice burners. i have been hiking, climbing, and camping in the san gabriels for a good 30 plus years, and i would need more than two hands to count all the times i have had to wait for the motorcycle riders to be peeled off the side of the hill.

but those wannabe harley riders are teh worse. slow pokes they are that never pull over...
x15x15

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:23 pm

Luciano136 wrote:I personally like Newcomb's but only at night when everyone is gone. It's fun after a little snow outing in the local mountains.

As far as motorcycles, I ride one too and some guys are good about it but then of course, you have the douches that think they are on a race track and spoil the fun for everyone else.

Of course there's plenty of responsible riders, your right Luciano. they're not all douches, sorry for the sterotyping :lol:

One time, going up to go hiking, we were caught in a pack of slow moving cars. Though they were at least going the speed limit, so I just sat back and followed, since there's no legal passing, and there was at least a 4 cars in front of us. Then a pack of "riceburners" came flying up, all dogged down by us slow cars. Immediatley they began passing, jumping in and out between the cars, couple near misses with oncoming traffic...I mean they were insane, racing like it WAS really a race! Then a couple of em flipped off the driver of the car in front as they swerved at him. :lol:

I actually don't have a problem with either cars or motorcycles speeding as fast as they want, speed can be fun. It's mostly the crazy passing and coming around turns on the wrong side of the road that I'm bitching about.
Rob

Postby Luciano136 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Rob wrote:I actually don't have a problem with either cars or motorcycles speeding as fast as they want, speed can be fun. It's mostly the crazy passing and coming around turns on the wrong side of the road that I'm bitching about.

I agree and those guys WILL eat it sooner or later. If you want to survive on a bike, you better ride responsibly. It's unbelievable how many 18y old kids get on a crotch rocket and all of a sudden, they think they are superman. Respect the machine or else...
Luciano136

Postby Tom Kenney » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:40 am

Here's a pic of the new bridge on the Vincent side (between Dawson and Vincent). Looks expensive!

Click here for full size
Tom Kenney

Postby butitsadryheat » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:44 am

Luciano136 wrote:
Rob wrote:I actually don't have a problem with either cars or motorcycles speeding as fast as they want, speed can be fun. It's mostly the crazy passing and coming around turns on the wrong side of the road that I'm bitching about.

I agree and those guys WILL eat it sooner or later. If you want to survive on a bike, you better ride responsibly. It's unbelievable how many 18y old kids get on a crotch rocket and all of a sudden, they think they are superman. Respect the machine or else...

Darwinism at its finest 8)
butitsadryheat

Postby fatdad » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:32 pm

Gary Schenk wrote:With the money crunch the question is will the California Transportation Commission continue to sink money into a road that goes nowhere and serves no commercial interest.

What's the priority, a road to nowhere, or the 605/10 interchange?

The San Gabriels are a wonderful place to roam and backpack. They are home, and should be wild again.

The simple fact is that most of us don't have the time to invest two days worth of hiking to reach the inner part of the range. Think how much saner a big chunk of the population is having quick access to the wilderness on the weekends.
fatdad

Postby fossana » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:30 am

kevin trieu wrote:but what about the awesome road riding?!?

It would be even better if there were no cars on it.
fossana

Postby x15x15 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Gary Schenk wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:The SGW... go around Mermaid Massif, south side of Twin Peaks, the cool rockfields on the less-than-accessible sections above Cogswell Dam, ain't gonna see many people there for sure.

A highway cuts the range in half. There ain't no wilderness. On the other hand, you're right about above Cogswell.

There is a flaw in this thinking...

the lights of Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Valley will ALWAYS penetrate the night sky of the San Gabriel Mtns, therefor, removing the road will do nothing for the wilderness.

i say KEEP the road and enjoy the backcountry. The crest will never be the wilderness it once was...
x15x15

PreviousNext

Return to California