Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Discussion: Collaboration, Edit/Submit Changes

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Re: Discussion: Collaboration, Edit/Submit Changes

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:27 am

mvs wrote:What I was getting at with my "asinine" (thanks mrchad9) comment about it being impossible to change voting behavior was that for years we've complained about the way people vote. None of these complaints change things one bit. We've essentially got a "thumbs up/thumbs down" system, despite numerous essays from individual members describing their nuanced voting patterns. I think the behavior is somehow emergent in the system, possibly because it's hard to tell the relationship between a vote and the page score. Whatever.

Right, nothing about the current voting process is going to change until the system is changed. I was simply responding to you saying it was impossible to address. It is actually very easy to address, Matt just has to decide to do it. It'd be more accurate to say it is impossible for you or me to address, but it is addressable.

Yes, the behavior is emergent in the system, but not because it's hard to tell the relationship between a vote and page score. It's easy... a 10 makes it go up and 1-9 make it go down. That's a thumbs up/thumbs down system as you said. Change it so that different scores can have varying positive effects, and you will see a lot more non-10s. Addressable.

And IF Matt were to work on it, why on earth would you propose he spend time and effort making a thumbs up/down system almost identical to what we already have? That's what you proposed. I'd suggest if we did clear the hurdle of Matt working on it, that he should make it BETTER.

mvs wrote:I hoped this thread wouldn't become another place to chew that old bone.

Well... you were the one who brought it up!
mrchad9

Postby mvs » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:12 am

mrchad9 wrote:
mvs wrote:I hoped this thread wouldn't become another place to chew that old bone.

Well... you were the one who brought it up!

Fair enough. I had disagreements with a LOT of people on this thread. But we all used language that didn't put anybody else down. Overall I'd say it demonstrated that we can come together and discuss a complex topic despite widely divergent views. Your use of the word "asinine" injected a note of ugliness that rankled me. Now I'm over it. :)

A friend thought I was going away from the site, but I'm not. To prove it I just made a route page.

And yes I want a cookie. Chocolate chip because it's hard to find over here. :lol:
mvs

Postby Sarah Simon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Quick add on: It's probably been covered in this thread somewhere and I cannot quickly find a quote to reference, but I would find the following collaboration feature very beneficial:

Quick-take conditions reports section for mountains (general) and routes (specific) where users could provide a quick 'n dirty (Ok, maybe I shouldn't go there with this audience...) account of conditions encountered on a mountain/route.

Has the seasonable gate closure occurred?
How far up the Forest Service road can my vehicle go? Front-wheel drive sedan? Standard 4x4? Modified 4x4?
How bad was the post-holing on the approach?
Is the summit ridge icy?

Etc.

How much structure would be built around this eventually, I don't know. For the time-being, I think a running "ticker tape" style update stating the date and and open-ended / verbatim box for conditions input (with some guidance) would suffice.

Cheers!
Sarah
Go climb a mountain
Sarah Simon

The following user would like to thank Sarah Simon for this post
Arthur Digbee

Postby mvs » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:39 pm

Sarah what you describe would be really great. I have to use other sites to glean current conditions. I've tried creating a forum thread on SP for that, but there just isn't enough activity in my section of the woods. However 2-3 local sites get a dozen reports a day of current conditions.
mvs

Postby vanman798 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:33 am

We have an addition/corrects section currently which I think is all we need, but moving that to with the page would draw more attention to it, and I'd be fine with that.

As for pages owned by inactive members, why not define what "inactive" is, and once that is met his pages go up for graps?

Wiki is a bad idea, as we risk to many changes and potential bad info.

That is my 2 cents.
vanman798

Postby mrchad9 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:40 am

vanman798 wrote:Wiki is a bad idea, as we risk to many changes and potential bad info.

What would you think about it if the owner had to approve the change? It'd be easy for them to kick the change out, and avoid bad info.
mrchad9

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Josh Lewis

Postby Bob Sihler » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:30 pm

The Global PM has been deleted, and the most popular ideas have been summarized and submitted to Matt.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby MoapaPk » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:51 pm

It does seem like some of the suggested changes made be me and others, are just to deal with people who won't read or add to the "additions and corrections section" or are too lazy to edit their pages to include the changes. Let's go ride bikes!
MoapaPk

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
mrh

Postby lcarreau » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:07 pm

So, WHY didn't somebody say we were going WIKI in the first place ?

Instead, we have 23 pages of members batting around ideas, and the runner hasn't even reached third base yet ..

lcarreau

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback