Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

dislocated elbow... Help?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.

Postby psycobill » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:09 pm

Thanks guys, I feel very lucky hearing some of the stories regarding similar injuries... Wow mconnell, I'm glad you didn't respond earlier, I probably would have cried like a baby (or cursed you) hearing your story.
psycobill

Re: dislocated elbow... Help?

Postby Slwyant » Tue May 08, 2012 2:42 am

Hey Josh (and everyone!),

I know this is an old thread, but I figured it was worth a shot. I was wondering how your return to climbing went. I'm a rock climber as well and had a full posterior dislocation of my elbow after a fall. We took the cast off 3-4 days after the injury and started gentle rehab immediately. It's been a little over a month now and, while I've made some huge strides, I've hit my first wall in the recovery process. It's beyond frustrating and the idea of not climbing for several more months is some brand of torture. I've also been told recently by a few people who've had this injury that I shouldn't count on ever returning to full function. Hoping to find a climber or two with a reassuring story to the contrary!! Would really appreciate any insight that anyone can give me.

Thank you all :)
- Sarah
Slwyant

Re: dislocated elbow... Help?

Postby nataliejwong » Thu May 24, 2012 3:21 am

Hi Sarah,

I'm in my sixth month of recovery as of today. Dislocated my left elbow (posterior-medial) and badly sprained my left ankle during a bouldering comp back in November. I was in a cast for 4-5 weeks because I torn my ligament in my elbow. My elbow was swollen, and super stiff from scar tissue build up. For first month, I couldn't walk or do anything. It was horrible. Physio was more painful than the dislocation and definitely not fun. I didn't do any climbing for at least 5 months for me. As of today, I still haven't gotten full ROM though, but still working on physio exercises and using a JAS elbow brace (http://www.jointactivesystems.com/).

Update (Nov 07, 2012)
It's been one full year since my elbow injury. Unfortunately, I haven't gain my full range of motion, and I don't think I will. However, I'm quite happy where I am compared to a year ago. I'm missing about 15 degrees each way, but I've been able to do most things including climbing. :) I'll continue to work on stretching my arm.
nataliejwong

Previous

Return to Technique and Training