Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Do you 'Get Out?'

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Postby EManBevHills » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:12 pm

For me, it's a sensorial thing. I have to get out in some way almost every day to feel alive. It's probably some heretofore undiagnosed pathological condition. Maybe even a gene that we share?

Do I get out enough? Depends on whom you ask. Me, no. Friends and family: I'm a fanatic.
Today, it's a bike ride. Guess I'll go see if the Osprey's still in town!
8)
EManBevHills

Postby ShortTimer » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:59 pm

Yeah, I get out. Sometimes it is just bouldering 5 minutes from the house (well, a lot of the time) but it is getting out. Heck, a really good weight work out at home sometimes feels like I got out. Very few weekends go by without climbing at least one day. With Guyzo and our main core there is always someone to climb with so there are no excuses. Been doing this for 37 years and the hunger is worse now than ever. Hopefully I kick it while getting out.
ShortTimer

Postby Teresa Gergen » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:20 pm

If it's peaks you get out for, log 'em on LOJ (listsofjohn.com):
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Content/totalpeaks.php
Check out the "Career" listings on the Year dropdown button.
Teresa Gergen

Postby chicagotransplant » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:59 pm

169 peaks in 2009, plus over 30 days of skiing, then there is the mountain biking, rock climbing and skinning up the local ski hill after work. Yes, I get out 8)
chicagotransplant

Postby jvarholak » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:57 am

over 100 bag nights a year for the past 30+ years... when I'm "home" I sleep on the floor....... go figure
jvarholak

Three Generation

Postby vidclimber » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:11 am

Three Generation of Getting Out.

My dad started it all. He is now 59, retired and trail runs between 5 and 10 miles 3 times a week, Skis and runs golf courses in the winter. We did not have much money when I was growing up, and my dad loved the outdoors. So he took us hiking, camping, climbing, skiing, etc... We heard other kids say that they went to Disney Land or something like that and we wondered why. My dad was a Scout Master for most of my younger years and he would let me tag along when I was really to young to go, 50 miles at age 10 in the Ruby Mountains. So I can say I have been Getting Out for the last two decades.

Now I have a 3 year daughter and my dad and I have takin her out must evey weekend since she was 4 monthes old.
We where out three days ago and her new favorite game is to roll out of the slad as I am jogging and as I jog back around she flops back in. She is also in training, to be able to pull the slad up a really long hill by herself. :D And no the coat is not long the snow is just past her knees.

So three generation of Getting Out.
vidclimber

Postby Scott » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:52 pm

Sure, those who say "bad weather is not a problem" probably lives in a sunny climate

Luckily we get a lot of sunshine here, but it's also fairly cold in winter (in a normal year, we have the low temp in the lower 48 states several times a year). The last three mornings have been -29F (-34C), -30F (-34C), and this morning it is -24F (-31C) right now. Still I've never had a day around here that it was too cold to climb something.

Even though it's pretty cold, I'm still glad it's sunny rather than rainy. Places like the Pacific Northwest along the coastine are quite miserable in the winter, even though it stays warm throughout the winter.
Scott

Postby John Duffield » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:55 pm

Lolli wrote:
Dingus Milktoast wrote:Right on Lolli. Totally understand that. I know the solution my dear....

Let's go climbing!

DMT

Okay, honey. I'm game.

ha ha

But it's Ski Season now!
John Duffield

Postby Wallylongridge » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:40 am

Wallylongridge

Postby MoapaPk » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:04 am

I've seen a guy on a giant skateboard going down rte 168 CA, from below Westgard Pass to just outside Big Pine. He was supine, feet first, and passed us as we were driving down to Big Pine, past the one-way section. On a day when it was 95 in the valley, he was wearing a helmet, big boots, and a winter coat. He passed several cars, and pulled off the road to the left below 5000', in front of oncoming traffic. I wonder if he is still alive.
MoapaPk

Postby drjohnso1182 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:37 am

Lolli wrote:What I DO like though, is downhill sleighing.

Sledding is the second most dangerous activity known to man, after lawn darts.
drjohnso1182

Postby MoapaPk » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:44 am

The biathedart is a proposed Olympic event, combining sledding with lawn darts.
MoapaPk

PreviousNext

Return to General