Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Do you 'Get Out?'

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Postby Clydascope » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:26 pm

It’s been over 35 year since I first stood on a summit and about four weeks since I last stood on a summit.

The desire is stronger than the body these days - two new hips in two years slowed me down a bit.

I want to thank Laura for teaching me how to walk again, twice. It involved much more than just walking – Thank Laura!

Although it’s been an uphill grind – literally at times – I’m coming back.

My recovery has included many walks in some obscure places of the Eastern Sierra and one small summit. I have managed to get out quite a bit even if it’s not the high peaks.

Just “Got In” yesterday from a 1,400 mile motorcycle ride in Baja, Mexico. We visited some of the most remote wilderness I have ever seen, ever, anywhere.

Can’t wait to strap the skis on again!

Clydascope

Postby mconnell » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:36 pm

MoapaPk wrote:I've seen a guy on a giant skateboard going down rte 168 CA, from below Westgard Pass to just outside Big Pine. He was supine, feet first, and passed us as we were driving down to Big Pine, past the one-way section. On a day when it was 95 in the valley, he was wearing a helmet, big boots, and a winter coat. He passed several cars, and pulled off the road to the left below 5000', in front of oncoming traffic. I wonder if he is still alive.

Sounds like street luge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNJrjoyZI5E
mconnell

Postby MoapaPk » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:52 pm

That was the activity, but the "sled" was wider and the equipment generally looked low-tech.
MoapaPk

Postby fossana » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Clydascope wrote:Just “Got In” yesterday from a 1,400 mile motorcycle ride in Baja, Mexico. We visited some of the most remote wilderness I have ever seen, ever, anywhere.

Good to hear your recovery is progressing, Chris. I'm debating whether to buy a smaller, more off-road oriented bike. Got more pics from your Baja trip? Sounds like fun.
fossana

Postby Clydascope » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:47 pm

fossana wrote:Good to hear your recovery is progressing, Chris. I'm debating whether to buy a smaller, more off-road oriented bike. Got more pics from your Baja trip? Sounds like fun.

Thanks Michelle, I just created an album of Baja pictures...

http://www.summitpost.org/album/582449/Baja-Mexico.html
Clydascope

Postby Princess Buttercup » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:32 pm

Clydascope wrote:It’s been over 35 year since I first stood on a summit and about four weeks since I last stood on a summit.

The desire is stronger than the body these days - two new hips in two years slowed me down a bit.

I want to thank Laura for teaching me how to walk again, twice. It involved much more than just walking – Thank Laura!

Although it’s been an uphill grind – literally at times – I’m coming back.

My recovery has included many walks in some obscure places of the Eastern Sierra and one small summit. I have managed to get out quite a bit even if it’s not the high peaks.

Just “Got In” yesterday from a 1,400 mile motorcycle ride in Baja, Mexico. We visited some of the most remote wilderness I have ever seen, ever, anywhere.

Can’t wait to strap the skis on again!

:D :D :D

Chris, your motivation made it easy. That and comparing notes from a few trips... :D

Congratulations, my friend. Keep at it, and see you out here!

-L 8)
Princess Buttercup

Postby EManBevHills » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:44 pm

Chris,

You are quite the hipster!
:D
EManBevHills

Previous

Return to General