Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Do you 'Get Out?'

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Postby CClaude » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:32 pm

I'll answer though.

I've been thinking about this also. I have to say in 35yrs my desire has only become greater. Every time I've done something or climbed with someone who opens my eyes, I get a twinkle in my old eyes. With the new found knowledge of what is a possibility the list of things I need to do only gets longer. My desires which once filled a book, now are listed in volumes.

Its funny people say that when they get older they want the creature comforts. Climbs on beaches and basking in the warm sun. I find my fondest memories are hikes in when its below freezing after falling into a frozen river after you slip on a verglas covered boulder. Stuffing my fingers into cracks when I no longer feel them since they are frozen, and screaming into the wind when I need to do a fingertips jam but the only way you know that you have a jam is the pain associated when your fingers are past the point of being numb and wooden.

As for gett'n shit done, I do some shit and also get my butt handed to me alot.I'm happy with those moments of poking my head around the corner. A lot of people I know get much more shit done then I do. But I'm happy that I still have those moments where I realize that what I once though was impossible, is completely in my realm.
Last edited by CClaude on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CClaude

Postby cp0915 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:49 pm

'Bout 150 days a year. And I only crave more...
cp0915

Postby Dave K » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:10 pm

I have to get out. I'm not a happy person unless I regularly get out into the wilderness.
Dave K
Forum Moderator

Postby Guyzo » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:13 pm

I tie into my harness and dip into the chalk bag about 4 days a week.

Hopelessly addicted according to my wife..... :wink:

I would climb more, but the body and fingers can't take anymore abuse ..... 8)

CClaude's description of cold fingers ... is right on.

I don't like climbing in the cold, gimmie 62 degrees F and I am happy as a clam.

36 years of roping up and it's just as much fun as ever.

Tip my hat to ya DMT... you are one of the core. :wink:
Guyzo

Postby kavak » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:26 pm

I am not going to try to say where it comes from....but deep inside me is this compulsion to get out in all kinds of weather every weekend to do something, to stand on top of something. I have tried to imbue this longing to my children, to my wife, to my friends and it just doesn't take unless it is already there inside them. I come across the obscure, a peak, hill, rock, mound, butte that I want to climb...it becomes a dream and damned if it doesn't become reality, maybe not right away, but it happens because of this need in me to do it. Yeah I get out.
kavak

Postby fossana » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:53 pm

Dave K wrote:I have to get out. I'm not a happy person unless I regularly get out into the wilderness.

I can relate to that one.
fossana

Postby John Duffield » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:59 pm

My Passport is just over 4 years old and it's had to have a lot of pages put in. Those are filling up as well. So, IMHO, means I get out.

I like to get out really far. Where my walking into the village brings them out to look at me. The girls in clusters tittering as they check me out. Places that haven't changed much in the last 1,000 years. Down on the ocean floor. Up on a high glacier.

So I don't get out as often as I like because it takes some effort and a lot of prep to do that.
John Duffield

Postby Foxy Long Bottoms » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:09 pm

fossana wrote:
Dave K wrote:I have to get out. I'm not a happy person unless I regularly get out into the wilderness.

I can relate to that one.

Me too.

Yes, I get out constantly. When I don't have my sons I'm getting after it. Partner or no partner. Good weather or bad weather. There's no excuse. I'm lucky though. I have managed to find worthy endeavors in climbing, hiking and xc skiing practically in my back yard. This past weekend I wasn't thrilled about driving in the ice and snow so I pulled off a 16 mile ski only 10 miles from home. No excuse for me not to get out.
Foxy Long Bottoms

Postby Princess Buttercup » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:18 pm

Obsessed? Oh, you betcha...

Sitting at 108 straight weekends of "getting out and doing something", 38 weekends in a row this year of hiking/climbing/skiing/watevah over 10K. What can I say? I like "gettin' high" every weekend.

I like having too many options of things to do, which is why I moved to Bishop 2 years ago.

Yet Bob Burd still calls me an "armchair climber/hiker/peakbagger"... :twisted:

XC Ski:

Snowshoeing:

Toproping:

Snow camping:

Generalized slogging:

Skiing:

Multi-pitch silliness (hope to try some sharp end stuff soon):

Backpacking:

Ice Climbing:

Cooking:

Post-hike Libations:

Being in and around the mountains makes me happy. The fact that I can share them with some of the most amazing friends and family makes it all the more priceless and sacred.

Nice post, DMT.

-Laura 8)
Princess Buttercup

Next

Return to General