Does Smartwool Have Any Competition?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
CSUMarmot

Re: Does Smartwool Have Any Competition?

by CSUMarmot » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Got some new Remington hunting socks for 'winter holiday' and theyve been great for skiing and snowshoeing
If your feet are sweating a lot it might be an issue of the liners (or lack of) that you use
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

The following user would like to thank CSUMarmot for this post
jdzaharia

no2haven

by no2haven » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:31 pm

Another +1 for Fox River. Been using a pair of their light-weight ski socks which keep my feet nice and dry (and warm!)

The following user would like to thank no2haven for this post
jdzaharia

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:44 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Several of them are ones I have not tried, yet.

CSUMarmot wrote:If your feet are sweating a lot it might be an issue of the liners (or lack of) that you use

Maybe. But the Smartwool work pretty decent, or at least better than anything else I've tried. And I shouldn't need liner socks under wool while I'm sitting here typing on the intermess.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:21 pm

jdzaharia wrote: And I shouldn't need liner socks under wool while I'm sitting here typing on the intermess.

True, but whenever I wear wool I wear some kind of ankle high cotton sock, not for insulating properties but just to put something between the skin and the wool, I suppose the tight fitting liner could keep airflow between the two socks which helps keep your feet from getting clammy
just a though, I seem to get the same results when I just wear wool, so a liner of some sort is worth a try
NoCo Chris

The following user would like to thank CSUMarmot for this post
jdzaharia

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:00 am

I have tried Bridgedale, Patagonia, and Smartwool extensively.

I don't like the synthetic socks much. I blister in them more often, and they don't seem nearly as warm when damp.

Bridgedale are nice, but Smartwool hold up longer, and seem warmer for a similar thickness.

Patagonia are nice as well, but quite expensive - I can find Smartwool for 50-70% off at Sierra Trading Post all the time, but not Pata. I never find the SW Mountaineering socks there, so I use Bridgedale Summit socks, which I have gotten there very cheaply.

The following user would like to thank Autoxfil for this post
jdzaharia

nickmech

by nickmech » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Something very satifying about pulling on a new pair of socks.

radson

by radson » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:57 pm

nickmech wrote:Something very satifying about pulling on a new pair of socks.

Ohh Yeaaah

zachary_dc

by zachary_dc » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Icebreaker socks. Hands down better than smartwool. About the same price point and they last so much longer.

The following user would like to thank zachary_dc for this post
jdzaharia

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:11 pm

CSUMarmot wrote:whenever I wear wool I wear some kind of ankle high cotton sock, not for insulating properties but just to put something between the skin and the wool, I suppose the tight fitting liner could keep airflow between the two socks which helps keep your feet from getting clammy
just a though, I seem to get the same results when I just wear wool, so a liner of some sort is worth a try

I dug out some polypropylene liners this weekend, and wore them under some Smartwool while wearing some insulated Gore-Tex boots. My feet were generally happy. I have also tried the cotton thing under wool, with mixed results. If I can keep my feet from getting too hot, it works okay.

Kind of surprised that somebody would even dare to mention cotton socks on this website. :shock: :D

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:02 pm

jdzaharia wrote:Kind of surprised that somebody would even dare to mention cotton socks on this website. :shock: :D

Glad it seems to be working out for you! Yeah that whole cotton thing slipped out, I guess I should proofread what I'm typing before I say something ridiculous :D
NoCo Chris

phydeux

by phydeux » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:16 am

Another nod for the REI wool socks. I buy the lighter weight ones to wear in the summer, then add a liner sock to them in the winter. So far I still have all my toes. The lighter-weight wool Wigwams are good, too, but the only ones I find in the local stores are the synthetic ones that make my feet feel like they're in a warm, boggy swamp. Yech!

The following user would like to thank phydeux for this post
jdzaharia

Tinman27

by Tinman27 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:11 pm

ianwhite wrote:Check out Darn Tough socks. Life time guarantee

I agree with Ianwhite about DARN TOUGH, while I was stationed in Minnesota with the Marine Corps, I did everything from play pond hockey in hockey skates at -15F to cold weather training at Camp Ripley for 3 days at -20F. My feet were never cold and three years later I am still wearing the same socks. They are very durable and breath well. I am wearing a pair right now in my normal suede military issue boots and its 72F and my feet are fine. If you truly like how smartwool feels, try a company called OMNI-Wool. They are identical to Smartwool and you can get a three pack at Sam's Club for $14. Very durable. Hope this helps.

no avatar
Wastral

by Wastral » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:14 am

Personally, I have never been impressed by smartwool socks. They stretch too quickly and fall down around the heels giving blisters compared to far cheaper brands. Likewise they are too small and cannot be layered.

Best socks I have owned, were/are Columbia, Titanium socks I believe. They stick to my feet like glue and only after A VERY long time wearing them many weeks have they stretched out a bit to where they sag a bit on the heels. They get wet and they seem to shrink onto my feet making so it does not slide against my heels balls of my feet even in loose running shoes. Then add a plastic bag over this and a puffy sock over that and well, warm feet with NO blisters in the winter etc. By themselves in summer they are fine as well.

I will take 3 pairs of any wool branded sock over a smartwool super expensive, falls down around my ankles after 1 use of the danged sock because there isn't enough elastic in them or polypropylene, coolmax, etc to support the wool.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Notice the plaid on plaid? That is a fine example of what Jack Donaghy would refer to as 'power clashing'. The Hawaiin shirt says, f' it, I'm on vacation.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
CSUMarmot, lcarreau

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:12 pm

beard hat.jpg
beard hat.jpg (34.11 KiB) Viewed 5132 times

Smartwool....new product ideas maybe? :D

The following user would like to thank Kiefer for this post
lcarreau

PreviousNext

Return to Gear