Doggie ethics: dog poop bags on the side of the trail

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
olympicwanderer

Doggie ethics: dog poop bags on the side of the trail

by olympicwanderer » Mon May 18, 2015 6:22 pm

Hi,

One thing I've been noticing more of on hikes in the past few years is little plastic dog poop bags (presumably with dog poop in them). I love dogs, and owners who take care of them well by taking them on walks in the woods (except in areas where they aren't allowed such as wilderness areas). But I have to say it detracts from the experience when I have to look at bags of poop left by hikers (who presumably are planning to pick up their dog's poop on the way down). My thinking - why not pick up the poop and then just walk into the woods (off trail) about 100 feet and relocate it under some leaves? The dog owner could then put the poopy bag inside another bag, tie it up carefully, and just stuff it into an outside pocket of their backpack? Any other thoughts? :|

Tonka

Re: Doggie ethics: dog poop bags on the side of the trail

by Tonka » Mon May 18, 2015 10:12 pm

Don't even get me started on this. I love animals, wild animals and cats and dogs but I don't do pets and I think the pet loving world has gone NUTS in the last decade. Thousands of dollars on vet bills, cremation, "my dog shouldn't have to be on a leash" attitudes, poop, pet super stores???, city dog park battles and I could go on. I mean people in Aspen will tie their fricken dog to a no dogs allowed sign in outdoor seating areas at restaurants. I don't want your 4 legged poop generator near my table. Nut's I tell you.

The following user would like to thank Tonka for this post
Johnny

surgent

by surgent » Tue May 19, 2015 1:02 am

Go to the hardware store and buy a whole bunch of 2" diameter PVC and end-caps, saw it into 6-inch lengths, paint them outdoorsy colors with fake paw-prints on them, give it a cute name like the "Puppy-poopy-pipey", sell it with a supply of poo-bags, mention how eco-friendly it is, promise give 10% of proceeds to an orphanage in Mauritania, sell them and make millions. People will be proud to show off their doggie-poop-pipe in their backpack and it'll just be another way to set oneself apart from the rest of the masses who just don't get it.

The following user would like to thank surgent for this post
olympicwanderer, Tonka

Tonka

by Tonka » Tue May 19, 2015 1:37 am

surgent wrote:Go to the hardware store and buy a whole bunch of 2" diameter PVC and end-caps, saw it into 6-inch lengths, paint them outdoorsy colors with fake paw-prints on them, give it a cute name like the "Puppy-poopy-pipey", sell it with a supply of poo-bags, mention how eco-friendly it is, promise give 10% of proceeds to an orphanage in Mauritania, sell them and make millions. People will be proud to show off their doggie-poop-pipe in their backpack and it'll just be another way to set oneself apart from the rest of the masses who just don't get it.

That's great. I may have to beat him to the patent office.

The following user would like to thank Tonka for this post
olympicwanderer

boyblue

by boyblue » Tue May 19, 2015 5:35 am

olympicwanderer wrote:Hi,

One thing I've been noticing more of on hikes in the past few years is little plastic dog poop bags (presumably with dog poop in them). I love dogs, and owners who take care of them well by taking them on walks in the woods (except in areas where they aren't allowed such as wilderness areas). But I have to say it detracts from the experience when I have to look at bags of poop left by hikers (who presumably are planning to pick up their dog's poop on the way down). My thinking - why not pick up the poop and then just walk into the woods (off trail) about 100 feet and relocate it under some leaves? The dog owner could then put the poopy bag inside another bag, tie it up carefully, and just stuff it into an outside pocket of their backpack? Any other thoughts? :|

I don't think some dog owners are coming back to pick them up. I see those little baggies pretty frequently along the trails in my region. I usually start my hikes as early as possible after the park gates opens for the day. Those little baggies of "doggie treats" are there first thing in the morning, so they were most likely left there the previous day or earlier. I guess it's expected by the dog owners that they will be picked up by rangers or other park employees at some time? To me, it's littering. Plain and simple. I hope that if they get caught, they get fined.

I truly hate seeing this:

I like the fact that State Parks, such as Henry W. Coe and National Parks, such as Yosemite have rules against letting dogs on the trails- period. But, why bother with such regulations in our local regional parks if cattle are allowed to graze on park lands.
Peak2201.jpg
Cow Paddy-Covered Summit of Peak 2201- The HP of Sunol Regional 'Wilderness'
Peak2201.jpg (718.73 KiB) Viewed 13687 times

I don't hate dogs or their owners. (My sister has two wonderful dogs and I love going to her house and playing with them.) I just want some owners to be more respectful of the parks and trails to which they bring their animals. Those animals are in someone's house- ours! Please don't let them leave poop in our living rooms! Or our lawns. :)
Last edited by boyblue on Wed May 20, 2015 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank boyblue for this post
olympicwanderer

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue May 19, 2015 2:00 pm

olympicwanderer wrote:(who presumably are planning to pick up their dog's poop on the way down)

I would not presume that. Those bags are there to stay. There is always a segment of the population that wants every right and privilege without any of the attending responsibilities.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
olympicwanderer

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Tue May 19, 2015 10:41 pm

And to think of all those hot days I packed out my WAG bags in me Brain Bucket..
Ahh...I can smell it now...

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander