dragging Significant Others up harrowing trails

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
fossana

by fossana » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:45 pm

I've had a number of first dates become last ones due to guys not being able to keep up. Right now it's difficult for me to imagine having a significant other that won't willingly join me on long climbing routes.

nartreb

by nartreb » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:55 pm

I took a mostly hands-off approach to getting the GF climbing. I took her to watch a bouldering competition, hooked her up with a discount on lessons (including gear rental), and that's about it. Yesterday, after about her fifth indoor climb ever, she said on the phone. "I think I've got a problem. I really like climbing." I'm now contemplating whether the universe will survive if I give a woman money to buy a pair of shoes (rock shoes!).

I used some deception to get her hiking, telling her the trail was "about three miles" and not counting the extra mile on the summit spur nor counting the return trip. She enjoyed it (bonus, she was too tired to drag me shopping the next day like she'd planned), but she's now highly suspicious of any hiking trips I propose.

bearflag

by bearflag » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:09 pm

Keep in mind my all-time favorite license plate frame:
If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:36 pm

WeakFemale wrote:Hey fossana, don't want to sound like a creeper or nothing, but both me and my husband have crushes on you.

Continue being awesome.

Her post says you have to willingly join her on a long climbing route first.

surgent

by surgent » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:46 pm

My wife was new to Arizona when we first met but a long-time hiker with tons of experience in Virginia, SoCal and some in the Seattle/Vancouver areas. I "drug" her up Vulture Mountain near Wickenburg after 5 weeks together. She managed the low-class 3 scramble bits very well, and had a great time. She "passed the test". A month later we went up Signal Peak in Yuma County, which has a lot more rocky, brushy and scramble sections, and afterwards she wasn't too pleased with me, but she made it. But even 7 years later, she still reminds me of that hike, and that I still owe her. I tell her that I saw "Love Actually" with Hugh Grant with her, and that should more than make up for what I put her through. And "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". She owes me again. I keep track.

Actually, she's a good sport, but the brushy rocky peaks don't interest her much.

---

I see no big issue with taking a prospective GF (or BF) on a hike. Just choose carefully. You want someone with a reasonable level of compatibility, of course.

TacoJockey

by TacoJockey » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:14 pm

I took a first date up a somewhat steep trail here around SLC a couple weeks ago. Now she won't return my phone calls.

no avatar
workmanflock

by workmanflock » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:19 pm

Teresa Gergen wrote:
workmanflock wrote:Gender Neutral response on my part. I still use the Eureka you sold me for 30 bucks almost monthly. Have you killed the 12ers yet?

Very happy you like that tent. I did finish the 1,313 ranked peaks over 12,000 ft in CO on 7/10; I have a good start on the 10ers and 11ers (decided to just go ahead and make that a single project), but will turn my attention to WY and CA 13ers for most of the rest of the summer now.

Congrats, I'm in temporary exile out east so I need to live vicariously through people like you.

Did you finish the CA 14ers? I was thinking of aiming for them and some stuff in the Cascades.

no avatar
workmanflock

by workmanflock » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:20 pm

Teresa Gergen wrote:
workmanflock wrote:Gender Neutral response on my part. I still use the Eureka you sold me for 30 bucks almost monthly. Have you killed the 12ers yet?

Very happy you like that tent. I did finish the 1,313 ranked peaks over 12,000 ft in CO on 7/10; I have a good start on the 10ers and 11ers (decided to just go ahead and make that a single project), but will turn my attention to WY and CA 13ers for most of the rest of the summer now.

Congrats, I'm in temporary exile out east so I need to live vicariously through people like you.

Did you finish the CA 14ers? I was thinking of aiming for them and some stuff in the Cascades.

no avatar
SpazzyMcgee

by SpazzyMcgee » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:39 pm

My gf has expressed interest in backpacking for the first time (without me suggesting it) which I think is cool. Instead of talking it up and setting her up for a letdown, I've taken the opposite tact:

"honey, it's gonna be beautiful and scenic, but probably harder than anything you've done up to this point. Your back will hurt, your knees will hurt, the pack will be unimaginably heavy, it will be hot and dusty and steep, and we'll both be sweaty and smell like ass by the time we get to camp."

her: "ok, when are we going?"

I think I may have found a winnah!

EManBevHills

by EManBevHills » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:09 am

I'm still paying. FU after FU. And the trails were moderate -- and as described. :twisted:

But you wouldn't know that from hearing their side. Black widows, tarantulas, heat, dust, rain, pestilence, 20 year locusts, bears, even "snow", fire, and brimstone.

Let's face it: we guys never learn....

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:16 am

Fer crying out LOUD!

The service around this place is freakin' rotten, and totally STINKS !!!

I'm moving to another thread ...

EManBevHills

by EManBevHills » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:36 am

But hiking with a S.O is easy compared to paddling whitewater in an open boat together... :D

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:33 am

EManBevHills wrote:But hiking with a S.O is easy compared to paddling whitewater in an open boat together... :D

+1000

x15x15

by x15x15 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:09 pm

never did understand this "dragging your significant other" anywhere. sounds like a bunch of machismo to me. my wife is also my best partner and we just go out and have fun.

why anyone would expect everyone to want or enjoy a hike up a mountain is beyond me,... but it is more perplexing why anyone would demean someone for not performing. you know, my best partner told me that having our twins was way more tough than anything we have done. including winter assaults in the cascades, or "6000 ft in 6 miles"... btw, hiking sucks...

does anyone just climb for themselves anymore???

inconsolable

by inconsolable » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:45 am

x15x15 wrote:never did understand this "dragging your significant other" anywhere. sounds like a bunch of machismo to me. my wife is also my best partner and we just go out and have fun.

why anyone would expect everyone to want or enjoy a hike up a mountain is beyond me,... but it is more perplexing why anyone would demean someone for not performing. you know, my best partner told me that having our twins was way more tough than anything we have done. including winter assaults in the cascades, or "6000 ft in 6 miles"... btw, hiking sucks...

does anyone just climb for themselves anymore???

the happy few.

Previous

Return to California