Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Early photos from your beginning...

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.

Postby Sarah Simon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:54 pm

ksolem wrote:
sarah.simon wrote:
NOTE: We are nearing our quota on early 80s short-shorts photos, fellas. :roll: NO MAS!

Alright then, how about the late 70's style?

Somewhere near the Gunks...

:? Wow...that's like Richard Simmons without the perm. :P
Sarah Simon

Postby Dow Williams » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:54 pm

I have come to the conclusion that climbing attracts many alternative lifestyles.
Dow Williams

Postby ksolem » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:12 pm

Hey folks, the statute of limitations is up on that one... And besides, I was climbing with Phillipe Petit then, and that French attitude is a bit contagious. Actually I think Phillipe may have taken that shot. It was either him or Julie Lazar.
ksolem

Postby ksolem » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:41 pm

FortMental wrote: ...Was he a pain in the ass to climb with?

Not at all. He was naturally gifted and loved the exposure. Also he was very quick with the technical stuff. He made fun of our use of the rope until we did the Directissima variation of High Exposure, when it saved his life.

We climbed together during one season at the Gunks, a few years after his 1974 World Trade Center high wire walk. After that he went on to focus on more wire walks and circus arts. I saw him ride a bicycle on a high wire once in The Big Apple Circus.
ksolem

Postby ksolem » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:09 pm

sarah.simon wrote: :? Wow...that's like Richard Simmons without the perm. :P

Yeah? I might look a little gay there, but that is because I am chumming up with a Frenchman, and that's the way it goes. I'm not half as gay as Richard Simmons, and then he has those man boobs and 30% body fat :shock: (and the perm!) That guy has a lot of nerve posing as a fitness guru.

Jack LaLanne for me baby!!
ksolem

Postby asmrz » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:59 am

Image[/img]

Ok people, let's extend this back a little more. Bohemian Switzerland, Sandstone Towers area, Czech Republic, 1962. I was 14, just started to climb with a group of climbers from a Prague club. I'm the one in the back of the group.
asmrz

Location: Idyllwild, San Jacinto Mountains, California, United States

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:30 am

ksolem wrote:
sarah.simon wrote:
NOTE: We are nearing our quota on early 80s short-shorts photos, fellas. :roll: NO MAS!

Climbing a roadcut in the Adirondacks, between Long Lake and Tupper Lake as I recall...

Wow! some of my first climbing was on roadcuts in the Adirondacks, particularly east of Gouverneur. The drill lines (for dynamite) are memorable.

I recall trying to downclimb a route, with a hairy intermediate section. A woman stopped to watch me, and began shouting, "He's going to fall! He's going to die! I just know it!"

When I got down, I indicated that I really didn't appreciate her comments.
MoapaPk

Postby ksolem » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:29 am

asmrz wrote:Image[/img]

Ok people, let's extend this back a little more. Bohemian Switzerland, Sandstone Towers area, Czech Republic, 1962. I was 14, just started to climb with a group of climbers from a Prague club. I'm the one in the back of the group.

Alois that is brilliant! You look just the same today! (and not the least bit gay either :wink: )
ksolem

Postby asmrz » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:34 am

Chrees, whot is dhis gey ishue in dhis poust? Du nhot undurstand. Olso, pleeze eksplane thi shortz...vary fanie!?
asmrz

Location: Idyllwild, San Jacinto Mountains, California, United States

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander