Easier Swiss Alps for Solo climber

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
dobson156

Easier Swiss Alps for Solo climber

by dobson156 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi,
I am hoping someone could point out some Mountains in Switzerland that are 'easy' enough to solo, I have some experience climbing on my own and with parties, but I am going on my own due to having a very specific time window.

Basically I am fine with snow, rock and ice but want to stay away from Glaciers if I can at all help it. I would also rather not do anything to technical F & PD- is ideal.
I am also fine using mountain huts or anything like that.

Thanks.

Pecloz

Re: Easier Swiss Alps for Solo climber

by Pecloz » Thu May 31, 2012 12:39 pm

you have a very specific time window? when and where......its a small country but some geographical obsticles can extend journey times and make certain options impractical depending on where you are, when and your mode of transport.

mvs

by mvs » Thu May 31, 2012 1:01 pm

You should do the hike from Zermatt to Chamonix (or the other way). It's amazing. I wrote about it here, and Steph Abegg did it too (google for that).

no avatar
dobson156

by dobson156 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:12 pm

Pecloz wrote:you have a very specific time window? when and where......its a small country but some geographical obsticles can extend journey times and make certain options impractical depending on where you are, when and your mode of transport.

Between now and the 10th, I am ready to go.

Plane, train and foot.

no avatar
dobson156

by dobson156 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:18 pm

Also I should add I would really quite like to summit something ideally in the 3000's, and ideally have some snow to deal with.

desainme

by desainme » Thu May 31, 2012 2:19 pm

Saentis in N.E. Swiss is about 8200 ft and has a cable car and weather station where in 1999 Cyclone Lothar had winds of 230 kph max. It seems popular. BTW Saentis is the 13th most prominent mtn in the Alps 6630 ft

http://www.summitpost.org/saentis/150877
Last edited by desainme on Thu May 31, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
dobson156

by dobson156 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:23 pm

mvs wrote:You should do the hike from Zermatt to Chamonix (or the other way). It's amazing. I wrote about it here, and Steph Abegg did it too (google for that).

That trip would take more time than I have :(, I does however look like a good one when I get chance.

What would be ideal is something like

day 1, train to hut
day 2, hut to summit and back to hut
day 3, whatever...

I was going to give the Gross Bigerhorn and Belfrin a look, but the Bordier Hut is unmanned until late next month (after my time window) meaning that the route across the reid glacier is unmarked and should but done roped.

no avatar
dobson156

by dobson156 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:24 pm

desainme wrote:Saentis in N.E. Swiss is about 8200 ft and has a cable car and weather station where in 1999 Cyclone Lothar had winds of 230 kph max. It seems popular. BTW Saentis is the 13th most prominent mtn in the Alps 6630 ft

http://www.summitpost.org/saentis/150877

Interesting do you know whether it is snow capped at this time of year.

Thanks

no avatar
dobson156

by dobson156 » Thu May 31, 2012 3:23 pm

borutbk wrote:
mvs wrote:You should do the hike from Zermatt to Chamonix (or the other way). It's amazing. I wrote about it here, and Steph Abegg did it too (google for that).

That link is amazing. Thanks Michael.

To the OP : beginning of June is avalanche time. Be very cautious. Ask the locals for details once you arrive wherever you'll go.

Thanks for the advice, I am starting to think that shoe horning this trip is going to be a logistical nightmare, so I might pros-pone it, but I really don't want to I need a break badly.

no avatar
dobson156

by dobson156 » Thu May 31, 2012 3:50 pm

borutbk wrote:
dobson156 wrote:
borutbk wrote:

That link is amazing. Thanks Michael.

To the OP : beginning of June is avalanche time. Be very cautious. Ask the locals for details once you arrive wherever you'll go.

Thanks for the advice, I am starting to think that shoe horning this trip is going to be a logistical nightmare, so I might pros-pone it, but I really don't want to I need a break badly.

I understand, but you want it to be a short break!
If you wait for the ascent season to begin, I'm sure the investment in the trip will then really be worth it.

Yes, but unfortunately I don't think I can get any more holiday until much later on in the year (after the season).
I have just left uni and my old job part time job, and am waiting for my next job to start. However because I am beginning in the middle of the year I get basically no holiday time.
That said I am starting to think I might not bother because it is become to hard to organise.

desainme

by desainme » Thu May 31, 2012 5:50 pm

saentis cam: has yesterday and archive
http://saentis-cam.cnlab.ch/cam.cgi

my guess about snow is down to 6500 feet

Another consideration is Val d'Aosta which is lined on the north by Pennine Alps and on the south the Graie Alps.
Antonio at SP has a big list of sort of 10,0000 ft mtns some of which are hiking peaks.

http://www.summitpost.org/mont-charve/492299

Return to Europe