eastern sierra approcaches - road/trail conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
brichardsson

Re: eastern sierra approcaches - road/trail conditions

by brichardsson » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:33 pm

SeanReedy wrote:
Olancha Peak Thursday via Sage Flat/Olancha Pass and the PCT had some snow on the PCT, especially when venturing farther north on the trail along the shoulder of Olancha Peak than necessary. There were some wildflowers down low. Snow can probably be avoided if any is left. I enjoyed the 2-12 inches I found (higher, shadier, horizontal, and north facing had more)...I found no register for any signs of Carbo, but maybe (if not all melted out) bscott saw my tracks or those from the FJ Cruiser occupants who showed up Friday morning. :lol:

footprints? ha. we saw virtually no snow, even on the pct. and absolutely zero on the peak. and we couldn't find the register either.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

colinr

by colinr » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:20 am

bscott wrote:
SeanReedy wrote:
Olancha Peak Thursday via Sage Flat/Olancha Pass and the PCT had some snow on the PCT, especially when venturing farther north on the trail along the shoulder of Olancha Peak than necessary. There were some wildflowers down low. Snow can probably be avoided if any is left. I enjoyed the 2-12 inches I found (higher, shadier, horizontal, and north facing had more)...I found no register for any signs of Carbo, but maybe (if not all melted out) bscott saw my tracks or those from the FJ Cruiser occupants who showed up Friday morning. :lol:

footprints? ha. we saw virtually no snow, even on the pct. and absolutely zero on the peak. and we couldn't find the register either.

Wow! Melts fast!

colinr

by colinr » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:24 am

Feel free to attach/share what it's like out there! I'll add some more images myself later, but probably won't be out in the Sierra much for awhile.

http://www.summitpost.org/slight-sierra-snowpack-spring-2015-lemonade-from-lemons/936287

This gives some good insight as well:

http://www.sierramtnguides.com/alpine-conditions-report-april-18-2015/

...Alpine ice climbers should start paying attention and getting ready. We actually had a time in March this year where we could choose between climbing ice in Lee Vining Canyon or in the Palisades couloirs. That has never happened in the history of Eastern Sierra ice climbing. A couple feet of snow in the Palisades last week made the approach a lot more strenuous, but as temps warm, the snow will sublimate up the canyon and out of the couloirs. There will be an early window of perfect alpine ice conditions up there before the snow at the top and margins melts off and releases the loose rocks that are currently frozen in place. North Peak ice couloirs and the Dana Couloir will be other ones to hit early this season for the same reasons. Every storm that comes along will prolong the start of that ideal ice climbing window. We are almost there now, but there is a weather change possible in the next week that could put a hold on that order.

Current conditions are good for backcountry travel. Access points are open up high. Highway 120 has been opened to Tioga Pass from the east. Highway 108 is open. All the Eastside mountain roads are expected to open by “Fishmas” next weekend. Mammoth Mountain might make it to mid-May, but nobody knows for sure when they will close at this point. It is no problem to hike up to places like Kearsarge Pass, Taboose Pass, 3rd Lake in Big Pine Creek, or Piute Pass without more than running shoes and maybe some ankle gaiters. Shaded slopes above 10,000′ still have a bit of snow remaining from the last storm that dumped 1-2 feet and the going is more challenging where this snow fell on bare scree or talus....

Deb

by Deb » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:14 pm

Descending from Mt No Goode yesterday..... more snow than I expected on Bishop Pass trail but that made it easy to take shortcuts. Post-holing wasn't terrible, the snow was mainly consolidated with some sheets of ice underneath. The bowl leading to Goode and No Goode is 75% snow-free but you still HAVE to step in it at some point.

The following user would like to thank Deb for this post
Fredd C Dobbs

no avatar
tedryan10

by tedryan10 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:10 am

Any Idea what Sam Mack Meadows and Winchell might be like?

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:10 pm

has anyone had a look at bloody recently? i have received conflicting reports and am heading up that way this weekend. specifically the couloir.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

Climber Dave

by Climber Dave » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:20 pm

has anyone had a look at bloody recently? i have received conflicting reports and am heading up that way this weekend. specifically the couloir.

I drove by it Sunday kind of glanced at it, didnt take any pics. If I recall the top half was pretty well covered, with some rocks in places, dont recall how low the snow went.

The following user would like to thank Climber Dave for this post
brichardsson

Deb

by Deb » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:28 pm

Pretty full top to bottom on 28 March. There was snow on the road at the base of Bloody on this day as well.

96avs01, brichardsson

fedak

by fedak » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:32 pm

Foot of new snow above 5k today/tomorrow:
http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/ ... ued-7.html
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

Deb

by Deb » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:07 pm

fedak wrote:Foot of new snow above 5k today/tomorrow:
http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/ ... ued-7.html

Kind of a blanket statement. According to NOAA, which I find some amount of credence, the majority of the several inches of snowfall will north of Bishop area peaks and at higher elevation. Only found just over an inch of snow from Thursday night at 11500' yesterday out of South Fork of Big Pine despite forecasts of 3-5". So who's holding their breath for this storm today? :)

fedak

by fedak » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:31 pm

Probably should have said "up to a foot of new snow" :)

7,000' in Tahoe this morning:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The following user would like to thank fedak for this post
Deb

fedak

by fedak » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:50 am

Melting out fast. Should be completely gone by Monday.

Seahorse

by Seahorse » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:28 am

Hey folks,

Looking to take a couple people on a coulouir climb maybe next weekend. Anything in condition? Not sure how much new snow fell in the Sierra from Bishop south, but hoping it will get some sun and consolidate before the weekend...

Any recommendations? I've done Diamond Peak, Whitney, Thor, Sill, Langely, as early season snow climbs, maybe others I can't remember. Something new would be cool. We've got 3 or 4 days and wouldn't mind hiking in. St Jeans was on the list, but maybe its already gone?

Deb

by Deb » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:31 pm

Seahorse wrote:Hey folks,

Looking to take a couple people on a coulouir climb maybe next weekend. Anything in condition? Not sure how much new snow fell in the Sierra from Bishop south, but hoping it will get some sun and consolidate before the weekend...

Any recommendations? I've done Diamond Peak, Whitney, Thor, Sill, Langely, as early season snow climbs, maybe others I can't remember. Something new would be cool. We've got 3 or 4 days and wouldn't mind hiking in. St Jeans was on the list, but maybe its already gone?

Lamarck's north couloir is "fun" and filled in, extra 3 miles on the road from Aspendell. The unnamed couloir I climbed last week is wonderful with Class 3 scramble to summit; really enjoyed that trip out of Bishop Pass trail. 12 mi RT. Then there's Mary Austin's north couloir; about nearly 2000' of moderate terrain. What I can say about couloirs right now is that you will most likely find somewhat of a crust (under fresh snow), with hoar under that in the north, northeast aspects. Mainly eastern aspects may be a bit more consolidated.
If you have a burly 4WD, Wahoo and Kindergarten are filled in; I'd love to hear of those conditions for a proposed ski trip. :wink:

Deb

by Deb » Sun May 03, 2015 6:18 pm

Over Taboose Pass on approach to Arrow, May 1st. Thin snow bridges and crappy post-holing made this trip quite the chore, so Arrow was a no-go. :(

Bob Burd, Climber Dave

PreviousNext

Return to California