Eastern Sierra Basecamp

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
okworldwide

Eastern Sierra Basecamp

by okworldwide » Wed May 11, 2011 2:26 am

Planning to spend 2 or 3 weeks May20th on into June hiking in the hopefully sunny, still snowy Eastern High Sierra.
Will be spending nights in the backcountry but also planning to do some long day hikes. For those days and the days between longer outings, I'd like to spend nights in a campground where I can rest and do some car camping.

What are your favorite campgrounds from Lone Pine to Lee Vining?
For me the ideal campground would: be beautiful, have access to trails into backcountry, be closer to 8000' elevation rather than 3000' in the Owens Valley, permit fires, have shade and lots of women. No particular order.

Thanks!

kevin trieu

Re: Eastern Sierra Basecamp

by kevin trieu » Wed May 11, 2011 4:04 am

do the women have to be hot or just average looking? i can point out the campgrounds with the average looking women but the campgrounds with the hot looking women, there's a fee. i prefer Paypal.

The following user would like to thank kevin trieu for this post
okworldwide, Princess Buttercup

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed May 11, 2011 4:44 am

Favorite CG on the Eastside...My house. It is at 7200' and this is the view outside my front door...

You might want to consider the Crowley Lake BLM CG located on Crowley Lake Dr between Hilton Creek and McGee Creek. It is only 5.00 per night and pretty much centralized between LP and LV. No women really but you will be too busy being up the BC to worry about that.

Another one would be Lower Rock Creek - Tuff CG just on the other side of 395 from Tom's Place. Lots of shade and women every eve at Tom's Place. Access to Rock Creek, Mosquito Flats T/H is only 10 minutes up the Rock Creek Road.

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
okworldwide

drpw

by drpw » Wed May 11, 2011 5:22 pm

Glacier Lodge.

The following user would like to thank drpw for this post
okworldwide

Denjem

by Denjem » Wed May 11, 2011 7:10 pm

I like Coldwater Creek campground in Mammoth. It's expensive though, $21 a night. You could camp on the BLM land just north for free, but there will be no one there. A plus in my book. Or free camping in the Tungsten hills, again BLM. Just find a good spot and set up camp. The options are endless. Paying for camping sucks. All you get is a fire ring and a table. Anyone else feel the same way? :?:

The following user would like to thank Denjem for this post
okworldwide

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed May 11, 2011 9:19 pm

What about Convict Lake? Mount Laurel as the backdrop is spetacular with many other options nearby. I don't care for the actual campsites themselves but the area in central to many options. And the elevation is at 7,850.

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
okworldwide

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed May 11, 2011 10:56 pm

Although the area is relatively compact, I think you'd be better off figuring out what you want to do and camp near there vs. just picking a nice campsite and driving all over the place. Thus, you'd probaby get better responses if you were more specific with your query. Having said that, my favorite campgrounds are the ones along the road to Tom's Place and the tiny one at the end of the road to North Lake. The latter only works if you're hiking something in the area. Chief's house looks awesome, though that's probably a tough invite.

You're going to be dealing with lots of snow. Plan accordingly.

Return to California