email not working?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
csproul

email not working?

by csproul » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:39 pm

I recently registered with summitpost and tried sending myself a test email. It never went through, even after multiple attempts. I received the registration email, but have not been able to send myself an email through my profile page. Any suggestions?

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:18 pm

I think it's been the case for a few months already. I have sent several emails to members who have confirmed never receiving them. That's especially an issue when you try to contact former maintainers of a page to ask them if it's ok to take over.

If anyone looks into this, could you also add an email notification whenever one receives a private message? It would make communicating on the site much more efficient.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:25 pm

Also, new-forum-post e-mail notifications are not working and have not been working for quite some time. See my post here:
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25966
on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:49 pm GMT

There was no admin response to the last couple of posts, from 2009, in that thread.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Day Hiker wrote:Also, new-forum-post e-mail notifications are not working and have not been working for quite some time. See my post here:

There was no admin response to the last couple of posts, from 2009, in that thread.

Missed it, sorry.
I just sent an email to Matt since the elves can't fix the broken email.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:58 pm

Bob Burd wrote:
Day Hiker wrote:Also, new-forum-post e-mail notifications are not working and have not been working for quite some time. See my post here:

Missed it, sorry.
I just sent an email to Matt since the elves can't fix the broken email.

Thanks, Bob. Other than what I read in benjamingray's post in the other thread, I had no idea of whether or not the system was broken or just broken for me and a couple others.

Obviously, it's really not the end of the world if it doesn't work. I just figured I would report it because the admin might not even know it's broken.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:00 pm

Day Hiker wrote:Obviously, it's really not the end of the world if it doesn't work. I just figured I would report it because the admin might not even know it's broken.

No, it's a big deal because new members can't register when its broken. And we recently had someone upset because a page was given away even though no response was given to the email asking about it. Now we know why...

csproul

by csproul » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:02 pm

squishy wrote:I just sent you a test, see if works from other users...
I have not received an email. The registration email was the only one I have seen from this site.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:10 pm

Bob Burd wrote:
Day Hiker wrote:Obviously, it's really not the end of the world if it doesn't work. I just figured I would report it because the admin might not even know it's broken.

No, it's a big deal because new members can't register when its broken. And we recently had someone upset because a page was given away even though no response was given to the email asking about it. Now we know why...

I agree it's a big deal then, if people can't register. I had originally thought the problem was only with new-thread-post notifications, not the entire e-mail system.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:01 pm

Some feedback on the e-mail system:

I just got a Topic Reply Notification e-mail today; it's the first one in a long, long time. Something has been changed or fixed possibly.

The strange thing is it went to my AOL account, even though my profile lists my gmail account. But note that the e-mail address change on my profile was done only a couple of months ago as a test to see if AOL was blocking mails and maybe gmail would let them through. It may be possible that I "registered" for the thread's notification before this change, while I was still listing the AOL address on my profile. Maybe the Topic Notification system uses the e-mail address that was in place at the time of the notification request and not at the actual thread update and resulting e-mail generation.

Either way, it seems AOL is not categorically treating as spam all mail from forum@summitpost.org, in case that was wondered.

But I do not know how many threads for which I am registered, so I do not know if any e-mails were blocked. I just know that I received one.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:10 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:What is this "AOL" that you speak of? :lol:

It's a virus I've had since around 1997. The longer you have it, the more it sucks, but the harder it is to get rid of.

phlipdascrip

by phlipdascrip » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:53 am

Just tested myself and it came through. Did you check your spam folders?

Related thread: http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51667

Return to Site Feedback