Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
 

Re: Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Postby Simkin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Yank-Tank wrote:Who Daria? She is a pathological liar. You wouldn't know what is true unless you are actually with her. She herself has claimed to have climbed peaks that she has not climbed.

That was before she read "Live not by lies."

Yank-Tank wrote:As for me, I don't need to lie. You will see my name in the summit registers.

Not a proof of free solo.

Yank-Tank wrote:But you, you are a crazily bad climber, you must really not like your family if you risk all that just to climb those silly lines that nobody cares about.

You do not free climb not because you care for your family, but because you are afraid.
User Avatar
Simkin

 
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 pm
Location: California, United States
Thanked: 18 times in 15 posts

Re: Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Postby Yank-Tank » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:13 pm

I only climb in Winter, it is winter now but the Avalanche danger has been too high, I don't climb in summer because I end up free soloing dangerous routes, far more dangerous than crystal crag. I have lost a lot of good friends in the Mountains. In summer I just hike, like 50 mile hikes in a day, have you done that yet?

You come back and tell me how great freesoloing is when you lose a good friend to it.

Also, I climb in the Alps, it is not a place for beginners like the East Sierra is. Go freesolo some thing big in the Alps and then come back and tell me how fun it is and how good you are.

Everything you climb gets soloed on a daily basis, go climb something that doesn't.
Yank-Tank

 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: New Zealand
Thanked: 186 times in 132 posts

Re: Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Postby Yank-Tank » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:14 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Why would you drag a pack?


Cause he can not climb very well. Check his videos out.
Yank-Tank

 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: New Zealand
Thanked: 186 times in 132 posts

Re: Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Postby Simkin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:37 pm

powderjunkie wrote:Feel free to gopro your solos and use gloves

Thank you for your kind permission.

powderjunkie wrote: It can become stuck, can pull you off the rock and can drop rocks down on other climbers.

And I too have some revelation for you: 2+2=4.
User Avatar
Simkin

 
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 pm
Location: California, United States
Thanked: 18 times in 15 posts

Re: Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Postby Yank-Tank » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:23 am

Simkin wrote:
powderjunkie wrote:Feel free to gopro your solos and use gloves

Thank you for your kind permission.

powderjunkie wrote: It can become stuck, can pull you off the rock and can drop rocks down on other climbers.

And I too have some revelation for you: 2+2=4.



^^^^^ hard man soloist.
Yank-Tank

 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: New Zealand
Thanked: 186 times in 132 posts

Re: Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Postby Bob Sihler » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:21 pm

Yank-Tank wrote:Yip, that's Daria. I have roped her up many a 4th class section. It is pretty much like ropless climbing, you look down some times and she is looking some place else taking photographs with no hands on the rope.


This is the funniest post I have read on SP in a long time. The mental image I conjure is priceless-- Matt throwing for a high jug on some overhanging 5.9 pitch as Daria drops the rope and crouches to photograph a butterfly on a wildflower. :lol: :(
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)
User Avatar
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 8316
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:20 pm
Location: Driftwood, Texas, United States
Thanked: 2580 times in 1435 posts

Re: Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Postby Simkin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:26 pm

Yank-Tank wrote:I only climb in Winter, it is winter now but the Avalanche danger has been too high, I don't climb in summer because I end up free soloing dangerous routes, far more dangerous than crystal crag. I have lost a lot of good friends in the Mountains. In summer I just hike, like 50 mile hikes in a day, have you done that yet?

You come back and tell me how great freesoloing is when you lose a good friend to it.

Also, I climb in the Alps, it is not a place for beginners like the East Sierra is. Go freesolo some thing big in the Alps and then come back and tell me how fun it is and how good you are.

Everything you climb gets soloed on a daily basis, go climb something that doesn't.

And who is a pathological liar?
User Avatar
Simkin

 
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 pm
Location: California, United States
Thanked: 18 times in 15 posts

Re: Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Postby Yank-Tank » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:57 am

Simkin wrote:
Yank-Tank wrote:I only climb in Winter, it is winter now but the Avalanche danger has been too high, I don't climb in summer because I end up free soloing dangerous routes, far more dangerous than crystal crag. I have lost a lot of good friends in the Mountains. In summer I just hike, like 50 mile hikes in a day, have you done that yet?

You come back and tell me how great freesoloing is when you lose a good friend to it.

Also, I climb in the Alps, it is not a place for beginners like the East Sierra is. Go freesolo some thing big in the Alps and then come back and tell me how fun it is and how good you are.

Everything you climb gets soloed on a daily basis, go climb something that doesn't.

And who is a pathological liar?


I can't believe that I get to chat to a YouTube sensation like yourself.
Yank-Tank

 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: New Zealand
Thanked: 186 times in 132 posts

The following user would like to thank Yank-Tank for this post
Bob Sihler

Re: Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Postby Simkin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:44 pm

In another thread I wrote that free climbers don't wear helmets.

Another thing they don't do is attacking one man in a pack. They are themselves attacked by packs. In this film a wingsuiter (not exactly a climber but similar in spirit extremist) Corliss tells how they did it to him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJdqMgMKI0s
User Avatar
Simkin

 
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 pm
Location: California, United States
Thanked: 18 times in 15 posts

Re: Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Postby Yank-Tank » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:27 am

Simkin wrote:In another thread I wrote that free climbers don't wear helmets.

Another thing they don't do is attacking one man in a pack. They are themselves attacked by packs. In this film a wingsuiter (not exactly a climber but similar in spirit extremist) Corliss tells how they did it to him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJdqMgMKI0s


Freesoloing has always been frowned apon. We want you to stay alive and that is why everybody tells you that dragging that rope around makes it super risky. It makes me shiver just thinking about having a rope dangling around my feet when I am trying not to fall off. I am not a big fan of ropes these days, but then again, I never was hardcore.
Yank-Tank

 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: New Zealand
Thanked: 186 times in 132 posts

Re: Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Postby Simkin » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:31 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Why would you drag a pack?

You just can't chimney with it on your back. It is also easier to climb without it. Ever free-soloed a 5.6 with a backpack?
User Avatar
Simkin

 
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 pm
Location: California, United States
Thanked: 18 times in 15 posts

Re: Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Postby Yank-Tank » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:14 pm

Simkin wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:Why would you drag a pack?

You just can't chimney with it on your back. It is also easier to climb without it. Ever free-soloed a 5.6 with a backpack?


We all have you egg, and having a bag on doesn't really even effect you climbing in chimney unless it is long and sustained, and then you take it off because it destroys your bag.

BTW, where are all these chimneys you are climbing? The ones on the routes you do are tiny.

If you can't climb with a bag on you may as well go home. Is that why all you do is solo basic routes, because nobody can be bothered dealing with you?
Yank-Tank

 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: New Zealand
Thanked: 186 times in 132 posts

Re: Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Postby mrchad9 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:11 pm

Simkin wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:Why would you drag a pack?

You just can't chimney with it on your back. It is also easier to climb without it. Ever free-soloed a 5.6 with a backpack?

No I am not on YouTube so there would be no point.
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4457
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1303 times in 885 posts

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Bob Sihler, butitsadryheat

Re: Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Postby Simkin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:11 am

Yank-Tank wrote:Freesoloing has always been frowned apon.

So you did not do it after all.

Yank-Tank wrote:We want you to stay alive

Recall how tried to hitchhike and watched hundreds of cars passing by. An here suddenly so many do-gooders.

Yank-Tank wrote: It makes me shiver just thinking

Do you get sweaty palms as well?
User Avatar
Simkin

 
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 pm
Location: California, United States
Thanked: 18 times in 15 posts

Re: Experiment: gloves do not make climbing low 5s harder

Postby Bob Sihler » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:29 am

Hey everyone, today I was climbing and at the car afterward realized I left my cell phone at the crag, so I had to hike back down to get it. Then, feeling too lazy to hike back up, I soloed a 5.6 to get up faster.

No helmet, no pack, and in Chacos. Well, I didn't use gloves, so that probably lowered it to 5.2 or something. But I'm still very, very awesome.

Send me your addresses and I'll send you my autograph. I mean, I am pretty serious stuff now.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)
User Avatar
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 8316
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:20 pm
Location: Driftwood, Texas, United States
Thanked: 2580 times in 1435 posts

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
butitsadryheat

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2015 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.