Feaured Pages Questions

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
FlatheadNative

Feaured Pages Questions

by FlatheadNative » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:37 am

Is there any reason why the "Featured Pages" is not being updated on a regular basis? There have been a number of great pages put up in the last few weeks and only a few have been featured. The newest page featured is from Sept. 9th. There are areas and peaks on the current front page from 2007, 2006, and 2003 and only 2 that were built in the last month.

I also am wondering why pages that have been released as far back as 2003 are being featured? If this site is about sharing new material with its viewers why feature old material? Just because a great page is updated does not make it any better than a new page. I voted for that page a long time ago. It is a great page!

Is there a regular and systematic way of featuring pages that are recognized by the members of SummitPost? Whoever is in charge of this portion of the site needs to seek some feedback from the readers and make some changes.

Fred Spicker

Re: Feaured Pages Questions

by Fred Spicker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:49 pm

When they first started the "Featured Pages" section, it was stated that pages of all ages would be represented. Pages created before this feature was introduced deserve just as much chance for exposure as new material. In addition, many pages were created before SP2 and the "explosion" of membership, these also deserve some exposure to the new members.

As for how often it is updated, that is a question for the Elf in charge...

The following user would like to thank Fred Spicker for this post
Josh Lewis

FlatheadNative

by FlatheadNative » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:11 am

That is my main question Fred. Whu is it taking so long for the featured pages to change?

Please Mr. Elf in charge...make some changes.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:50 am

A little bit of "Elfin Magic" would be a definite blessing ..

"Hope it all comes out okay !!!" :D
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:20 am

It's the same deal with the trip reports, In my opinion I think adding an additional featured items would make sp more dynamic. Example, if it was set up to display 4 featured tr's, 4 featured articles, and 8 or so featured pages (depending on what is best for formatting) rather than just 6. SP's frontpage mountain/range/route update once a week for 1 each. I agree that it is not often enough, I've seen great stuff go unfeatured before. Now if it was like twice a week that would be quite nicer. Dow Williams was correct in saying that sp easily has the opportunity to be more dynamic.

But on another note, if someone created a page all the way back in 2001 and updated the page to be spectacular, I think they deserve every bit as much of an opportunity than a recently submitted page. :)

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
PAROFES

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:28 am

Josh Lewis wrote:if someone created a page all the way back in 2001 and updated the page to be spectacular, I think they deserve every bit as much of an opportunity than a recently submitted page. :)

That situation deserves it more than any other page, but most of the old featured pages aren't like that. Also there isn't really a good way to identify those types of pages, unless it is the author spraying about the work they did on the page themselves (which is sometimes either seen as unseemly, or they are reluctant to do out of fear of it appearing that way).

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
PAROFES

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:28 am

mrchad9 wrote:but most of the old featured pages aren't like that.

Good point, I was saying that as a general statement irrelevant from the reality of how SP is currently being managed with the frontpage content.

kamil

by kamil » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:06 am

mrchad9 wrote:Also there isn't really a good way to identify those types of pages, unless it is the author spraying about the work they did on the page themselves (which is sometimes either seen as unseemly, or they are reluctant to do out of fear of it appearing that way).

It's enough for the author to write a note about the update in a respective "what's new in..." thread. That's what those threads are for, and it's got nothing to do with spraying. I understand that the Elves in charge read those threads and when some good stuff appears this way they will notice it.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:15 am

New and quality are two different things. Sometimes I might at first post an alright job on something (trip report, mountain page, ect.) and then later on add a lot more to it. Nobody (well many sp members) will not notice that the page is way better and is perhaps feature worthy. It's happened with my trip reports before, I've had 0 votes on one of my best rated trip reports because initially all the content was not there. My point is that the "What's New" threads are cool because they do in a sense let people know when something is new or updated, but updated doesn't always mean that it's feature worthy. Heck I've seen some good unmaintained pages, as much as I hate to admit it. 8)

PAROFES

by PAROFES » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:05 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
Josh Lewis wrote:if someone created a page all the way back in 2001 and updated the page to be spectacular, I think they deserve every bit as much of an opportunity than a recently submitted page. :)

That situation deserves it more than any other page, but most of the old featured pages aren't like that. Also there isn't really a good way to identify those types of pages, unless it is the author spraying about the work they did on the page themselves (which is sometimes either seen as unseemly, or they are reluctant to do out of fear of it appearing that way).

Great point Chad!

I tried like five times to show up some south american material at the thread in question, but it seems to me that people not even cared. I d love to see brazilian material at the featured pages section but that never happened, and who knows, it may never...

But if we work on a new page and try to show up here or in any other thread, people start to point fingers and say we are "vote hunting" or in "point hunger". Well, this is a pain in the ass my friend :)

So I just gave up. Don`t feel like do any new material or upload any photos anymore. Used to login at least 5 times every day and now, well, once every three or four days and that`s it. Mr. "I am always right" Guido worked that out for me.

Still love SP though and I think of many people here as friends just like you, and that`s what`s keeping me here, virtual friends.

Good morning folks!

Parofes

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:01 pm

I see SP as a library of information. I generally do not post any beta with the intent of having it on the front page to get votes. I do so only to add to the information library of SP which can be accessed via the Search venue. If I have some new photos that may be of interest to anyone, I then post them on a new thread and then leave it as such.

But then my motives are not the same as others here. I am also very selective as to what I broadcast to the world. There are many areas out there that I will keep sacred and only share with a very select few.

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
FlatheadNative

Return to Site Feedback