Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Feb 5th options

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.

Feb 5th options

Postby jspears0001 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi All,

I'm flying into Colorado Springs on 2/5 for the weekend. My initial plan is to hike up Pikes Peak on the Saturday. Depending on road conditions, what are some other options nearby? I am flying back on Sunday so even if it's a long day I'm up for it.

I was thinking Mt. Massive or Mt. Elbert but I don't know how the roads fair during winter.

Any thoughts??

Thanks
Jon
jspears0001

Postby mconnell » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:19 pm

I've climbed Massive via the SW slopes in early winter conditions. Avy conditions could be a concern. I doubt that you will drive all the way to the trailhead. We did in November with no problems, but I wouldn't expect to make it the last couple miles this time of year. It's a great climb in winter, especially once you hit the ridge.

I might be interested in joining you. I live about 20 minutes from the Crags so it would be a strong possibility that I could join you.
mconnell

Feb 5th options

Postby jspears0001 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:07 pm

I was planning on the crags TH, so that would be cool if you're available. Thanks for the info.
jspears0001

Return to Colorado