First Climbing Accident In Glacier National Park - 2011

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
FlatheadNative

First Climbing Accident In Glacier National Park - 2011

by FlatheadNative » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:03 pm

From The Daily Interlake June 2, 2011

After reaching the summit of Stanton Peak in Glacier National Park Tuesday, a man slid down a snowfield and off a 30-foot cliff, sustaining injuries that required him to be airlifted out of the park.

Andrew Wilkerson, a 24-year-old from Georgia, was climbing with three fellow Lake McDonald Lodge concession workers.

As they were descending the 7,750-foot Stanton Peak, the prominent mountain beyond the head of Lake McDonald, the group had to glissade down snowfields, slowing themselves with ice axes.

“They were sitting down, using ice axes to slow down” and at one point, “he was unable to slow himself down,” said Ellen Blickhan, the park’s public affairs officer.

“He tumbled through some cliffs and ended up sliding about 80 feet more on snow.”

Two women in the group continued the descent to get help, and a man stayed with Wilkerson until it arrived. The ALERT helicopter from Kalispell was dispatched shortly after the incident was reported at 4:20 p.m.

The helicopter dropped off a medic to assess Wilkerson’s condition, and eventually loaded him and his companion and transported them to Kalispell Regional Medical Center at about 7 p.m., Blickhan said.

Because no park personnel were on the scene, Blickhan did not know if he suffered broken bones or other serious injuries..

“He was conscious at the scene,” she said. “But I don’t know his disposition at all.”

A nursing supervisor at the hospital said he was in stable condition Wednesday afternoon.

Comments: Learn how to self-arrest with an ice axe before going into the backcounty!

I am thankful this seasonal employee is going to be okay.

SKI

Re: First Climbing Accident In Glacier National Park - 2011

by SKI » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:28 pm

This is why glissading is always a bad idea, in my opinion, which is humble. Very humble.

FlatheadNative

by FlatheadNative » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:13 pm

It may especially be a bad idead if you are from Georga and have never been on snow before. Just sayin!

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:13 pm

I was involved in a rescue of a couple of women who had been injured very serioiusly when they fell into a moat that they had both glissaded into on Mt Baker.

SKI

by SKI » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:09 am

Man, those moats are serious business. I honestly didn't realize how dangerous they were until videos of skiers falling in upside down started circulating on Youtube.

Just one more thing that'll getcha out there if yer not careful I guess.

no avatar
Chewy

by Chewy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:10 am

I'm glad he is OK. They did the right thing by having one person stay with the injured party and the other two going for help.

I do have an issue with a statement made in the article. It states that they HAD to glissade. I hiked up there on 5/19 and I did not have to glissade. I chose to glissade because it is a fun efficient method of decent. But obviously one needs the skill and knowledge of the terrain to do it safely. In retrospect, I bet they are wishing they had descended the boot track.

On a side note, cell phones get reception on Stanton. I'm not a big fan of techno-gadgets in the wilds, but I make exceptions for safety.

Good job to the rescue party and the climbers friends.

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:30 pm

This sounds like the snow is consolidated enough to go without snowshoes - is that correct?

FlatheadNative

by FlatheadNative » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:04 pm

Folks are out mostly with snowshoes or skiis. We were post-holing on our last trip and wished we would have brought snowshoes.

no avatar
Chewy

by Chewy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:49 pm

We set a boot track up Stanton when we did it on the 19th.

It sounds like they were doing a butt glissade, so I'm assuming they were not on snowshoes but I could be wrong on this. I've been trying to figure out where he fell. There are not very many 30 ft cliffs on the standard route. They may have chosen to take a direct line down the southwest face. I could see them encountering a few cliffs on that line.

I'm going to the park tomorrow. I'll see if I can dig up some more info.

FlatheadNative

by FlatheadNative » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Chewy wrote: I'll see if I can dig up some more info.

I could ask the ALERT Crew whee they were at but it may be protected by confidentiality issues related to the medical care of the patient.

If you find out anything please post.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)