first timer help please

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
mlamb317

first timer help please

by mlamb317 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:08 am

So Im going on my first mountain climb trip, we are doing Donaldson and church peak in the Idaho lost river range. Both are 12ers and will be done back to back in one day. We will be going March 21st. I already have boots(vasque) and a backpack(kelty Red wing) already. Axe, crampons, harness, helmets are provided. Ive got gaitors on order. Trying to find the rest of the gear I might need for the trip but getting kinda swamped. Any help, suggestions, gear for sale, etc, let me know.

no avatar
mlamb317

Re: first timer help please

by mlamb317 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:33 am

quick note if you have gear for sale, I am 5'11" and 145, 31 waist, dunno torso though

reboyles

by reboyles » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:17 pm

The gear is one thing but I would strongly suggest you post a message on the Idaho Summits forum for updated conditions before you go. The snowpack this year has been highly unstable on the shaded sides of the range and few people are climbing this season. I heard a number of reports of waist deep post-holing, heavy layers of depth hoar (high avy risk) and generally crappy snow conditions. Some of the south faces have bullet hard ice.

Bob

no avatar
mlamb317

by mlamb317 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:51 pm

thanks for the tip, going in a guided group(its being done through my college), so Im not sure how well theyre tracking that kind of stuff, but ill def be keeping an eye on it. Still gotta make sure im ready however i can though if we can still go.

reboyles

by reboyles » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:12 am

Dean Lords (a Mammut rep from eastern Idaho) is one of the top climbers and backcountry skiers in the area and this is his recent report of snow conditions in the Lost River range.

"Desperate snowpack. Bad avalanche conditions. Worst coverage ever. Absolute certain death for realz."

By March the conditions will most likely change (for the better we all hope) but they could get worse the way this crappy winter is playing out. My climbing buddy Wes lives up there and is usually quick to respond to messages so don't hesitate to post a message before your team goes. I always tell people you don't want to meet Wes when he's working (he heads up the SAR efforts when people get in trouble up there).

Cheers - Bob

reboyles

by reboyles » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:40 am

I should have mentioned this. Wes has done all of Idaho's 12ers in winter and has his trip reports posted here on Summit Post. If you want a preview of what you're getting into read this.

http://www.summitpost.org/idaho-s-9-ove ... tes/584095

Bob

no avatar
mlamb317

by mlamb317 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:55 am

Ill definitely talk to him when it gets closer and keep in contact with the guides to see how things are going with it, other than that ive been doing what i can to read up on the peaks and the routes going up. Thanks for the link on your friend Wes pretty sure ive read some of his other trip logs, lots of good info.

Return to Gear