Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Freeing up some SP disk space!

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Postby Lolli » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:28 pm

Gangolf Haub wrote:[Bryan - you can't delete the current version. But to make sure, simply tick everything and then untick the bottom-most box.

The bottom-most! I left uppermost...
:lol:
Lolli

Postby lcarreau » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:45 pm

I had no clue.

This is kinda like cleaning the cobwebs out of your garage.

Oh, no.. there's one of those eight-legged "creepy crawlies" with an attitude ! !

Perhaps if I gingerly sweep it outside with a broom, the animal rights proponents will sleep more
soundly tonight.

Thanks for the heads up, or.. is it "bottoms up ??"

8)
lcarreau

Postby Arthur Digbee » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:54 am

What is the community norm for deleting history for adopted pages?

I adopted the Gallatin Range from Joseph Bulloch, who adopted it from Josh. I've saved the last of each of their versions. If I were to leave SP/delete my page/die/turn into a drunken snowmobiler, would leaving those older versions serve a purpose?
Arthur Digbee

Postby Bob Sihler » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:37 am

Arthur Digbee wrote:What is the community norm for deleting history for adopted pages?

I adopted the Gallatin Range from Joseph Bulloch, who adopted it from Josh. I've saved the last of each of their versions. If I were to leave SP/delete my page/die/turn into a drunken snowmobiler, would leaving those older versions serve a purpose?

That page is totally yours now; the work you put in is tremendous. I don't see any need for keeping previous owners' histories since they willingly gave up the page.

I might only save another's history if I adopted an inactive member's page, just in case he came back and there was a controversy.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby Saintgrizzly » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:41 pm

Matt, Bob, Gangolf, Dave K...whomever...

I know it has been mentioned in one or another of these forums on cleaning/saving space, but I can't find it at the moment, so thought I'd mention it again:

In Gear Reviews there is a "View History" button, but no way to follow through with any deletion. Can this be changed? Can't hurt....

Thanks,

—Vernon
Saintgrizzly

Re: Freeing up some SP disk space!

Postby MarkDidier » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:08 am

Bump...thought I'd bump this after another year.

If you haven't cleaned out the excess versions of your page submittals...and old photos that probably didn't need to be posted, this is a friendly reminder to clean up some SP disc space.

I suppose Matt could tell us whether or not this clearing out helps out the site...but I was always under the impression it was beneficial. If you haven't looked at how many versions of your submittals you made when you posted your last TR/Route Page, etc., you might just be surprised.

Happy New Year - May all your Summit dreams come true in 2011!
MarkDidier

Re: Freeing up some SP disk space!

Postby visentin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:41 am

Matt, few ideas :
- You should implement a temporary question after the login of every member, asking "are you willing to get rid of older versions of all your pages ?"
- A button "clear all older versions" should be added to pages when viewed by their owners
- Some components nowadays are able to compare two JPEGs. We could eliminate duplicates => merging votes, comments, etc, of both pictures, and replacing all occurences of the deleted one in pages by the remaining one. The operation would last some time for sure !
- Do not allow uploading a picture that already was uploaded, if the above is possible.
I do not have too many duplicates but I discovered a couple lately which I did by mistake. Also, it could prevent possible copyright issues between 2 members.
visentin

Previous

Return to Site Feedback