Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Front Page

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Re: Front Page

Postby mvs » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:47 pm

Dow, you are certainly free to criticize this page or any other, I just don't like the scattershot nature of the things you say. I'll argue with you on the point of this Südpfalz page because you have a specific point and maybe we can talk without throwing in too many side issues. (I'm going to ignore all the "you people"/"you folks" talk).

This particular area page is not pretending to know anything about the climbing routes in the area. It shows maps, talks about the country side, and lists summits and their elevations. It's actually talking about the area from the point of view of a hiker, and in reading it I don't see any attempts to usurp the role of a knowledgeable rock climber in that context.

Now, as a climber myself, would I like to see an area page that focuses on the climbing routes? Sure! For example I'd like to know the "5 star" climbs in a given subarea. Gangolf isn't going to be able to provide that, and he doesn't even try. He did NOT create "climbing based content/beta for the areas I climb" nor did he contaminate "first person/first hand climbing contributions" with "observations from folks who have not climbed the objective."

It's an area page, not a summit or a route page. It's written by someone who hiked around the area a lot. Aside from mentioning that it's popular with climbers, nothing this hiker did is so risible as you intimate.

Finally, did he obscure content from real climbers, by virtue of his enlightened position on the elf staff? No, he didn't commit that crime either.

I can attest from personal experience, that when Gangolf made an Area page for the Wilder Kaiser mountains, known for the technical climbing (as well as their hiking), he asked some climbers, me included to share ownership of the page in the hope we would contribute some good technical stuff. I imagine this Südpfalz page will go the same way. Somebody knowledgeable about the technical routes will eventually come along and you'll eventually see more of the kind of information you want to see about rope lengths, protection, raptor restrictions, whatever.

You are a highly productive individual on the site. Your contributions serve the technical climber, and very well at that. The hiker? Not so much. And that's fine.

I'll shut up now, the last word is yours :).
mvs

Postby Josh Lewis » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:06 pm

Dow Williams wrote:If the site was designed to be more dynamic and random=interesting, it would go a long way of eliminating the items you state above and maybe real sport enthusiast participation would at least rise to some previous level if not surpass it.

I gotta agree with you here Dow. 8)
Josh Lewis

Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States

Postby lcarreau » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:47 am

I'm not sure (..can't understand..) WHY people are expected to be "sports enthusiasts."

I could never get along with those people. They're too hardcore, and most of them speak their own language and some are elitists.

What about the average "recreational-type" user like me. Seems like WE should be able to post images of stuff we see going UP the mountain.

But then, I'm an advocate for Free Choice, so whatever floats your boat is okay by me. Just don't BURN UP your wings like Icarus did ..

lcarreau

Postby butitsadryheat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:30 am

Last I checked this site was suppose to be something different than wikipedia. Obviously it is not.

The grasp of what wikipedia IS is not understood, obviously. The day this site goes wiki would be the day it dies a slow death, IMO.

This site is for ALL to use however they want to, and for ALL who wish to contribute to do so, in ALL categories. I thought the front page has pages, routes, images, trip reports, mountains, ranges, etc. ALL of the relevant topics. At least it looks like that to me. I was unaware that this site was so limited to only expert, professional level, sponsored climbers.

just $.02 from a random, lowly hiker
butitsadryheat

The following user would like to thank butitsadryheat for this post
Josh Lewis, lcarreau

Postby chugach mtn boy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:39 am

Lower than a snake's belly, bidh :wink:
chugach mtn boy

Postby Noondueler » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:18 am

I want my 'front page' due!
Actually I don't really look at the "Front Page".
Noondueler

Postby lcarreau » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:31 am

Some choose to wear their achievements like a heavy-handed Badge of Courage.

"Badges? BADGES? We don't need NO STINKING badges !!! :!: "

lcarreau

Postby chugach mtn boy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:19 am

borutbk wrote:The rule (ethic!) is that one posts only Rock/Mountain pages and Route pages for stuff one has climbed. That's the rule, and everyone should stick to it. The exceptions like K2 were already discussed.

And as MVS quite patiently explained, Gangolf did not violate it.
chugach mtn boy

Postby butitsadryheat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:24 am

chugach mtn boy wrote:Lower than a snake's belly, bidh :wink:

Only to most.

Yet but one of my many services.
butitsadryheat

Postby butitsadryheat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:27 am

Who is responsible for posting the items on the front page anyway? Any particular elf? I think it was discussed here once, but can't remember.

I'm beginning to think this is really about the points and the REI discount associated with them
butitsadryheat

Postby chugach mtn boy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:50 pm

borutbk wrote:
chugach mtn boy wrote:
borutbk wrote:The rule (ethic!) is that one posts only Rock/Mountain pages and Route pages for stuff one has climbed. That's the rule, and everyone should stick to it. The exceptions like K2 were already discussed.

And as MVS quite patiently explained, Gangolf did not violate it.

Yes he did. He only clambed some of the rocks he posted many pages for.

Borut's rule: You may not post a regional page unless you have climbed every single bump in the region. Sihler, start deleting. Every single regional page on SP needs to come down.
chugach mtn boy

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback