FS: Montbell Thermawrap Parka, size S

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
kheegster

FS: Montbell Thermawrap Parka, size S

by kheegster » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:49 am

A lightweight synthetic puffy with hood, lighter and warmer than the Patagucci Micropuff. Weighs about 11oz and compresses to the size of a soda can. Brand new and never worn as a little too small for me. Asking $130 shipped to lower 48 (MSRP $170).

The evolution of Montbell's U.L. ThermawrapTM Series continues. Updates to these well traveled pieces are based on beta received from countless wilderness devotees. We have sourced a new type of 15-denier Ballistic Airlight nylon for the outer shell that retains the same ultra-light weight and impressive tensile strength, but is far less shiny, has, a softer hand, and makes very little noise with movement. Cuffs on the jacket and parka now feature a wedge shaped stretch panel for increased comfort and durability. Similar elastic wedges have also been added to both sides of the hem on the jacket and vest creating a more refined fit. The series is rounded out by a new women’s specific vest. Rest assured, while we have tweaked some details, the ThermawrapTM concept remains the same: simple, light weight, synthetic insulation that remains thermally efficient when wet. Whether it be a frigid mid-winter bike commute into the office or a harrowing belay high on the Compressor Route, our ThermawrapTM Series will keep you covered.

Specifications

-15-denier Ballistic Airlight calendered nylon shell & lining
-Exceloft synthetic insulation, 80g/m2
-Compresses :4.9’’ x 9.0’’ (stuff sack included)
-Color: DKNV(Dark Navy)/ GM(Gunmetal)/ RUST(RUST)
-Weight (size med):12.8 oz.

blazin

by blazin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:20 pm

Kheegster -- two questions, mostly out of general interest:

1) Can you give some idea of your proportions? Just curious to see how sizing works...

2) How would you (or anyone else) intend to use this jacket? I've been looking into the UL Thermawrap Jacket as well as Patagonia's new Nano Puff Pullover as a fleece/softshell replacement. But I worry about durability wearing these sorts of lightweight pieces as an outerlayer. The fabric just doesn't seem strong enough to put up to pack straps and harnesses, let alone sharp rocks, picks, screws, etc. On the other hand, why wear a jacket that is meant to be wind/water resistant as a mid-layer under a shell? Seems like it would create breathability/moisture trapping problems at worst, and be redundant at best...

rlshattuck

Montbell U.L down hoody . . .

by rlshattuck » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:37 am

while not the thermawrap, the sizing is simple––get the next size up, with just about any montbell product.

Last year, upon buying the U.L. down hoody, I did several snow camping trips in the sierra. Did a few nights on shasta and all I used was the U.L. paired with a patogonia R1 hoody and when the snow started falling I put a shell on over it all and it was toasty––in spite of my standing still most of the time.

Had I been moving in it, I would have been too warm––at least under fairly normal cold conditions, lacking any high winds or monster dumps (okay, I had a DAS PARKA stuffed away for just such a moment, but it stayed packed away) . . .

I used the U.L. again this Aug/Sept on the JMT and paired it with a super-light MILLET sleeping bag––just pulled the bag up to my waist most nights and stretched out in the U.L. all night, no problems.

I can't vouch for the durability just yet, as it is so light, it doesn'tr really inspire one to drag it across a granite face to test the fabric––it's an odd feeling to wear something so warm and yet, so not there. Again, whatever you do, just remember to buy a size larger than normal and you'll be fine. I'm 6'1" not beefy and not thin and mine fits like it was tailored for me.

radson

by radson » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:50 am

I have the MB thermawrap as well. Its a good product. I am of the understanding that Montbell products as a Japanese brand should always be purchased, 1 size up for Westerners.

For the Antipodeans, a good supplier of Montbell is http://iclimb.co.nz/

kheegster

by kheegster » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:38 am

Actually the size S fits me rather well, and I wear S for most of my other clothing as well.

The reason I'm selling is because I generally utilize the action layer/belay jacket philosophy, so I'd like the parka to fit over my softshell and hardshell. In the sizing I have now, it'll work great as a warm layer to wear at camp for 3-season backpacking, but now I've decided that I want it to function as a lightweight belay jacket for summer alpine climbs, which would shave a few ounces off the usual belay jacket I use for winter ice climbing.

I really like the jacket as it has a puffy hood and hand warmer pockets, but I can't justify owning 2 separate sizes.

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:57 pm

I use my MontBell thermawrap as a midlayer as well to the replace heavy bulky fleece. I have been impressed with its durability so far. For its little weight it is a very warm piece. It leaves with me for Mexico so we'll see how it really does. I am a solid medium and there EU medium (Japanese Large) fits me well.

dskoon

by dskoon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:09 pm

I use the MH Compressor in a similar way, as a medium layer insulating piece. Very nice.

kheegster

by kheegster » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:36 pm

Bump.

Now asking $110 shipped.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:05 am

Just to note that these are awesome jackets. I've used them the last three years in Antarctica and only put on a big down jacket in the very coldest temps (-45C etc).

The Thermawrap is a trim fit that is good for actually climbing in, rather than just a bulky over-layer insulation for sitting around in. It is extremely light, but a trade-off is the shell fabric can tear easier than some other fabrics. The hood goes over a climbing helmet and fits well.

I take XL or XXL in most things but the XL fits me fine. MontBell stuff can run a bit small, but it mainly affects only certain parts of their lines - their top-end Sub-Zero down suits are way too small for most westerners!

You can see one in use in the Cilogear ad using my photo if you have Climbing mag Photo Annual #276 p.82 or some previous eds of Climbing with that ad in it.

D

Return to Gear