Fun things to do in Belize

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
Scott Dusek

Fun things to do in Belize

by Scott Dusek » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:57 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm going to Belize with my girlfriend from Dec 11th - Jan 10th and I'd love to hear other people's experiences there. Must see, things to avoid, places to go, favorite restaurants, secret adventures, etc... would all be very helpful!

I don't suspect there's much climbing in Belize (there is granite and some jungly mountains though) but many SP'ers are well travelled and probably have lot's of good advice:

Our interests:
-Scuba (main reason for going)
-The beach
-Ruins
-People
-Good food
-Nightlife
-Nature adventures (cave tubing, trekking, overnighting in the canopy etc)
-Spontaneous Fun

Neither of us has been there so any advice is helpful - no matter how elementary. Specific recommendations about lodging, how to get around the country, dive operators etc would be most appreciated.

THANK YOU!

-Scotty

kam6also

by kam6also » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:02 pm

Conicidentally, I am going to Belize in March for a couple days for my friends wedding then to Peru. I could also use some advice on things to do in Belize.

cp0915

Re: Fun things to do in Belize

by cp0915 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:33 pm

Duseks wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm going to Belize with my girlfriend from Dec 11th - Jan 10th and I'd love to hear other people's experiences there. Must see, things to avoid, places to go, favorite restaurants, secret adventures, etc... would all be very helpful!

I don't suspect there's much climbing in Belize (there is granite and some jungly mountains though) but many SP'ers are well travelled and probably have lot's of good advice:

Our interests:
-Scuba (main reason for going)
-The beach
-Ruins
-People
-Good food
-Nightlife
-Nature adventures (cave tubing, trekking, overnighting in the canopy etc)
-Spontaneous Fun

Neither of us has been there so any advice is helpful - no matter how elementary. Specific recommendations about lodging, how to get around the country, dive operators etc would be most appreciated.

THANK YOU!

-Scotty

Hey Scotty,

I was in Belize several years ago. Had a great time.

Not much in the way of climbing there. Spent the bulk of the time visiting the various ruins and exploring some of the jungly mountains. I can't remember the name of the river, but we also took a canoeing trip down this prominent river. Saw howler monkeys, huge orange iguanas, crocodiles sunning on the banks, etc. Had a blast. Can't remember specific stuff, really - was quite a few years ago. The local food was tasty. The capital city was a typical Central American wasteland.

CP

no avatar
dreamy

In Belize its going down, not up.

by dreamy » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:00 pm

Caves, man, incredible caves. On land and under water. Visit ATM before they close it. Also try Chiquibul. Near San Ignacio you might find some rock (but its very wet). Enjoy

NewDayRising

by NewDayRising » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:15 pm

Leave the gf at home and add women to your list :lol:

Scott Dusek

by Scott Dusek » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:24 pm

John K,

If I wasn't fresh out of college (well it's been a couple now... but still) I think I'd agree with your plan :!: :oops: :twisted: "Just kidding honey - what's that in your hand? Okay - put the gun down - let's talk about this" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anybody know of a good cheap place to stay on Caye Caulker? I'm thinking we'll do a lot of diving with Frenchies, the seem to have good reviews, are affordable, and have good divemasters.

So far the only accommodations I've made are from the 24th of Dec to Jan 2 at Ruby's on Ambergris Caye (san pedro).

Getting stoked!

-Scotty

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean