Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

General Training

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
 

General Training

Postby Apex » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:24 pm

Hello everybody,

So over the summer I pretty much became a vegetable, due to being sick for a good month. I lost alot of muscle mass (about 10-15 pounds), and gained around 10 pounds of fat while I was recovering from my illness.

Now that I am fully recovered, I would like to try to get back into shape too how I was before. I was a competitive rower last year, and went to the Canadian National championships. During my training I was at a very high level of fitness (my V02 Max was 59.48 at that time). I have since then stopped rowing for good, and am beginning to train for general fitness and strength training.

One component of my training is running. I have began running 6km ideally every other day to get back to a decent level of fitness. Once I am back into relatively good shape with good endurance, I'll start crossfit to build up muscle max, anaerobic/aerobic threshold, etc..

I plan to run for at least another month before I start crossfit. My questions is, while I'm running, would it be beneficial do do some intervals (such as 1 minute at 40% effort, 1 minute at 100%) for training, or would just running at a steady pace be fine?

Cheers
-Apex
User Avatar
Apex

 
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: Great White North
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Postby Augie Medina » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:25 am

Since you're rebuilding your base, most of your running should be below your anerobic threshold, but you should also fit in some interval training. However, I would keep that down to only 10% of your total weekly mileage. Rather than a separate anerobic workout, maybe try fartlek work so that during your regular runs, you pick up the pace for say 200 meters, recover, and repeat the sequence 6-8 times during your run.

Having been a competitive rower, I'm sure you've got the discipline to whip yourself into good shape in no time and then be ready to up the ante with Crossfit workouts.
User Avatar
Augie Medina

 
Posts: 786
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:56 pm
Location: South Pasadena, California, United States
Thanked: 10 times in 7 posts

Postby Apex » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:50 am

Thanks Mountain Impulse,

One problem that I can forsee if I did some interval training while running would be that I would burn myself out too early, and get cramps, and thus have to walk to recover... Would like to know your thoughts on this.

And I had hoped getting back into shape would be fairly easy, but it isn't seeming so. While I was rowing that was really the only thing I did for fitness, so I have a rowers build, which I am trying to get rid of, because it isn't all that useful for other sports (especially climbing!!).
User Avatar
Apex

 
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: Great White North
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Postby Maranna » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:51 am

In addition to the interval training you may want try, if not already, trail running. I mountain bike and like to run the bike trails as well as ride them. The variation in terrain, ups and downs brings in some "intervals". To maintain your upper body, you may want to try a set of rings. I have them hanging in my garage and do a 30 minute work out three times a week. I feel like the trail running, mountain biking and rings help me maintain a good base of fitness.
User Avatar
Maranna

 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:28 pm
Location: Newport News, Virginia
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: General Training

Postby bird » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Apex wrote:Once I am back into relatively good shape with good endurance, I'll start crossfit to build up muscle max, anaerobic/aerobic threshold, etc..
I plan to run for at least another month before I start crossfit.
-Apex

Anyone who says "i'm going to start crossfit" is cool with me, but why "get in shape" before you start something to get in shape?
You can scale CF to your level and you'll actually get in shape faster than if you just run 6K's for a month.
my 2cents
User Avatar
bird

 
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:41 pm
Location: Southampton, New York, United States
Thanked: 22 times in 20 posts

Re: General Training

Postby Alpinisto » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:56 pm

bird wrote:
Apex wrote:Once I am back into relatively good shape with good endurance, I'll start crossfit to build up muscle max, anaerobic/aerobic threshold, etc..
I plan to run for at least another month before I start crossfit.
-Apex

Anyone who says "i'm going to start crossfit" is cool with me, but why "get in shape" before you start something to get in shape?
You can scale CF to your level and you'll actually get in shape faster than if you just run 6K's for a month.


Image
User Avatar
Alpinisto

 
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:39 am
Location: Danbury, Connecticut, United States
Thanked: 5 times in 4 posts

Postby Augie Medina » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:50 pm

Apex wrote:
One problem that I can forsee if I did some interval training while running would be that I would burn myself out too early, and get cramps, and thus have to walk to recover... Would like to know your thoughts on this.



Remember that fartlek training is not "all out" sprinting. It's just picking up the pace a little for a short distance and recovering. You should not be doing it hard enough to exhaust you. But if you run at the same pace every single time, you will plateau pretty fast. Also, nothing wrong with brief walking breaks for recovery.

As for crossfit, I think that because the whole philosophy is working anerobically, with explosive movements, gymnastic/plyometric movements, you should get your basic aerobic conditioning to a good level before moving on to crossfit.

Augie
User Avatar
Augie Medina

 
Posts: 786
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:56 pm
Location: South Pasadena, California, United States
Thanked: 10 times in 7 posts

Re: General Training

Postby bird » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:39 pm

Alpinisto wrote:
bird wrote:
Apex wrote:Once I am back into relatively good shape with good endurance, I'll start crossfit to build up muscle max, anaerobic/aerobic threshold, etc..
I plan to run for at least another month before I start crossfit.
-Apex

Anyone who says "i'm going to start crossfit" is cool with me, but why "get in shape" before you start something to get in shape?
You can scale CF to your level and you'll actually get in shape faster than if you just run 6K's for a month.


Image

Pretty much. :D
User Avatar
bird

 
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:41 pm
Location: Southampton, New York, United States
Thanked: 22 times in 20 posts

Postby mfox79 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:45 pm

Another great resource is Climbing: Training for Peak Performance, By Clyde Soles. it lists several training routines as well as custom routines more specific to your goals. being a competitive rower you should gain your fitness level back fairly quickly, but one thing I have learned is training is a very jealous activity your body will let you know how it feels after a break. best of luck
User Avatar
mfox79

 
Posts: 309
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:13 pm
Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States
Thanked: 9 times in 9 posts

Postby bird » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:48 pm

Mountain Impulse wrote:As for crossfit, I think that because the whole philosophy is working anerobically, with explosive movements, gymnastic/plyometric movements, you should get your basic aerobic conditioning to a good level before moving on to crossfit.
Augie

Augie, are you trained in Crossfit? The philosophy is NOT working anaerobically.
The philosophy is "constantly varied, functional movements, performed at high intensity". Anaerobic exercises last less than 2 minutes. So CF is anaeribic focused. It does have those elements, but also strong aerobic elements as well.
Apex. If you want to get in shape to do Crossfit, then start doing crossfit. You can do some running as well. And keep in mind, you don't have to follow the main page WOD's to the letter, you can and should scale them, and you can also mix them up to meet your needs.
And that's all I have to say about that :wink:
User Avatar
bird

 
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:41 pm
Location: Southampton, New York, United States
Thanked: 22 times in 20 posts

Postby mstender » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:24 pm

mfox79 wrote:Another great resource is Climbing: Training for Peak Performance, By Clyde Soles. it lists several training routines as well as custom routines more specific to your goals. being a competitive rower you should gain your fitness level back fairly quickly, but one thing I have learned is training is a very jealous activity your body will let you know how it feels after a break. best of luck


I second that resource, helped me a lot too. Seems like Soles does not like CrossFit though... :lol:
User Avatar
mstender

 
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:40 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Postby Apex » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:43 pm

Thanks everyone, I'll look into getting that book.

And thanks Bird, I'll try to do Crossfit then and mix in some runs... One major problem that I have is because I live in a dorm residence (with a roomate), There isn't easy access to a bunch of the things required for some exercises. I was thinking that a solution would be to do the Crossfit exercises that don't really require any equipment instead of the ones that do. On days that do require equipment, I could just go into the archives and find one that doesn't, and do that.
User Avatar
Apex

 
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: Great White North
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Postby Augie Medina » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:25 pm

bird wrote:Augie, are you trained in Crossfit? The philosophy is NOT working anaerobically.
The philosophy is "constantly varied, functional movements, performed at high intensity". Anaerobic exercises last less than 2 minutes. So CF is anaeribic focused. It does have those elements, but also strong aerobic elements as well.


I'm not sure what you mean by trained in Crossfit. I do some of the WOD's or variations thereof, but I've never done a certification seminar. Of course I didn't mean workouts are 100% anaerobic but as you note "performed at high intensity" means "anaerobic focused." My only point was I feel I get more out of crossfit workouts by having a decent aerobic base to begin with.
User Avatar
Augie Medina

 
Posts: 786
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:56 pm
Location: South Pasadena, California, United States
Thanked: 10 times in 7 posts

Postby bird » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:45 pm

Apex wrote:Thanks everyone, I'll look into getting that book.

And thanks Bird, I'll try to do Crossfit then and mix in some runs... One major problem that I have is because I live in a dorm residence (with a roomate), There isn't easy access to a bunch of the things required for some exercises. I was thinking that a solution would be to do the Crossfit exercises that don't really require any equipment instead of the ones that do. On days that do require equipment, I could just go into the archives and find one that doesn't, and do that.

Isn't there a gym at your school? How about an outdoor fitness course (Path with pull up bars, etc) playground, etc. That will do. You may have to get creative. You can also check the forum at crossfit.com for threads about workouts that don't require equipment.
Here's a workout for you for tomorrow :wink:
Run 1/4 mile
30 pushups
Run 1/4 mile
40 squats
Run 1/4 mile
40 sit ups
Run 1/4 mile
30 walking lunges
Feel free to adjust as needed.
Enjoy
User Avatar
bird

 
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:41 pm
Location: Southampton, New York, United States
Thanked: 22 times in 20 posts

Next

Return to Technique and Training

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.